Status: Shorter Chapters, ReDoing WIP

Rightful Ruler

Rescue Plan Gone Wrong

They lay together unmoving. Her slender body draped against his almost perfectly, as though she had been made to fit his contours. Her cheek lay against the hollow on his throat, their legs tangled together and their feet mingled together.

A sharp rapping at the door was followed by a shout, "Supper is prepared!" Helga's voice rang through the door, "Wash yourselves, and make your way to the dining room."

"How does she know—" Baylee yelped.

"We weren't quiet, sweetheart." He sent a smirk at her, standing and starting to dress.

Baylee glanced around her room. In all of the time that she was in there, she never took the time to look at her quarters. Her bed's spread was turqoise—her favorite color—and gold embroidery and her pillows matched. Her the stone floor hand a large, warm rug covering it so that she wouldn't feel the cold floor beneath her feet. A tiny window filtered light in through the leaves that surrounded it and allowed for it to be opened. A mahogany armoir sat in the corner, and a shelf containing some of Baylee's valuables—that she thought she'd never find again—sat in the corner opposite of that next to a handsome mahogany and plush chair.

Her eyes pricked with emotion as her hands delicately traced over the old music box on the shelf, "Oh Kallie..." She shook her head. "I will save her." She stated decidedly.

She turned around to see a half-dressed Jasper staring at her intently, "Ravin will never allow it."

"I don't care." She stated, slipping on her undergarments and her slip. She walked over to the armoir and rummaged through it. Most of these dresses, with the exception of a few too elaborate to be hers, belonged to her. These were her favorites, but these were the ones that Demitri never allowed her to wear. They were all too loose fitting, as they were all comfortable day dresses—some coming dangerously close to showing her ankles.

She grabbed an ebony colored empire cut day dress and slipped it on, not bothering with a corset. Once she looked presentable, she turned to Jasper, who was already fastening his belt. She didn't bother putting on any shoes—she'd had enough of those for one day. She ambled back toward the dining room, her legs wobbling like jelly as she walked. She never knew that it was possible for a man to give her this feeling because she sure didn't get it from the King. This must be what she had been missing.

Her mind couldn't help but wonder what Kallie was experiancing at that moment. She was probably being starved...beaten, maimed, interrogated, and God only knew what else. Another wave of shame washed over her as she stepped into the dining room.

"So you are the newest straggler..." A thirty or so year old woman looked up at Baylee. Her warm eyes shone with brightness as she gently rocked a young child in her arms, "You must be the poor child that Lady Kallie always seemed to fret over."

"I–yes." Baylee hung her head in shame.

"There is nothing to be ashamed of, Baylee." Bartom squeezed through the door frame next to her, "None of this is your fault-"

"Yes it is." Baylee walked away irritably. No one blamed her. Everyone kept telling her that it wasn't her fault, that she wasn't to blame. She just wished that one person would hold her in contempt for what she'd done. She was at fault. She was blinded by Jasper's sentence to hang, and because of that blindness, Kallie was now suffering.

Helga placed a hang on her shoulder, "Here you are, deary. Sit, sit!" She ushered her to a seat next to a very sagely old man. His white beard was long and his pale mane of hair was pulled back in a loose tie.

He gave her a wrinkly, warm smile, "You blame yourself child, but that will not bring our Princess back to us safely.

"It's all my fault..." Baylee sighed, irritation flowing through her, "I just wish that someone would be angry at me for my mistake. I don't want to be told that it is alright because I know it isn't. I just..." She let out another sigh.

"Well, child," The old man started, "you should never wish contempt upon yourself. None of us blame you because the young Lady wished night and day for your safe retrieval."

She looked to the old man, "I-"

"Enough talk." Helga muttered gruffly, "You need food in your bellies. Is this all that will be joining us tonight?"

She sat down across the table from Baylee. The only seats left open were the two on each opposite side of the end of the table, the seat next to Baylee—who was two seats from the left end, and the last seat at the actual end of the long, mahogany and iron dining table. Baylee's eyes scanned the faces. She spotted the woman she just talked to near the other end, a few other elderly men and women, eight or nine children—most of them relitively young and oddly no teenagers, many young men and women—at least fifteen or twenty men and woman varying in age. Including Kallie, that must've made the rest of the forty people...but then...there were many empty seats near the opposite end...Kallie's guard?

She knew—if she was counting right—that Kallie's guard was comprised of at least ten well trained fighters, two archers, her caretaker Ravin and Helga, her nursemaid. Then why was Kallie alone when she found her? She must be allowed to travel alone or with only one accompanying her to keep suspicions down. Of course, Baylee never understood how citizens didn't automatically notice Kallie as their Princess. Kallie's unearthly beauty was hard to mistake, and with no doubt that, without a very long and unrevealing cloak, she would be noticed instantly, Baylee raised a brow.

For the first time, Baylee looked down at the table. The table was covered, end-to-end, in platters and dishes of the most delectable food she'd ever seen. Two turkeys sat on the table, one on each end, and many dishes were laid out in between. Baskets of freshly baked rolls, dishes of potatoes and yams, bowls of beans and peas with carrots, and pans of onion soup were spread across the table. Baylee's teal eyes took everything in, her mouth salavating as she ogled at the spread. The aroma wafting off of the food was heavenly. It wasn't like at the palace. Her meals were rather small; she got enough, but it was nothing like this. She had to "keep her figure" for the King. That's what the cook told her at least.

"Enough drooling and eat, child." Helga ordered, pointing a fork at her.

"How much...?" Baylee muttered, her mouth filling with drool.

"How much...do you honestly believe I would put it in front of you if you were not able to eat what however much you wished?" Helga gave her a skeptical look of disbelieving.

"I-"

"Eat." The older woman ordered. Baylee complied, filling her plate with food. She didn't know what to try first, but her thoughts were interrupted by the clumping of boots.

Ravin, Bejamin and Jasper walked through the door. Ravin seemed to be deep in thought. Benjamin's entire demeanor was surly and irritable, and Jasper was clearly amused. Each of them sat in their spots near Baylee, and her mind completely wondered away from the food on her plate. She bit her lip as Jasper sat beside her.

"How was it?" She asked meekly.

"There will be none of that," Helga scorned, "Bartrom and I prepared this supper for smiling faces. You are not going to ruin that by discussing news of that matter over supper." Ravin nodded, rubbing his temples as he filled his plate with food. Benjamin sat uneating, "Benjamin, you are going to insult me if you don't eat something." Helga said caustically.

"I'm not hungry." He stated, Baylee dropped her gaze, "I'm sorry Helga, I don't mean to insult you by refusing–"

"Don't refuse." She stated simply.

"I'm not—" He began.

"Eat. Kallie would want you to keep your strength." At this, Baylee's eyes moved to his face. A soft blush rose to his cheeks. Did he...Baylee was almost never around him after his father died, so he rarely saw him and Kallie interact. Did he develop romantic feelings for her? No. He was one of her guard, wasn't he? She was beautiful, so any sane man that thought of her would blush.

The rest of the mean passed slowly, and Baylee's taste buds were singing. Every savory piece of food that reached her mouth made her tongue sing in praise.

"I apologize if the food didn't meet the standards of the cook at the Palace." Helga muttered, clearing the table.

Baylee's eyebrows shot up into her hairline, "What!? There is no comparison! The cook—her food wasn't bad, don't get me wrong—made her food either too bland or with too many spices. Yours, it was delicious! I haven't tasted food that well prepared since before my mother died." Baylee closed her eyes, the taste of that scrumptious supper still on her tongue.

"I appreciate it, sweetie." The older woman smiled.

Later that night, Ravin, Benjamin, Bartrom, Jasper, and another young man that Baylee didn't know the name of sat in the living area. Baylee hid around the corner in an attempt to hear their conversation. She knew Ravin wasn't going to include her in the talk to rescue Kallie from her brother's clutches.

"What course of action are we going to take?" The unknown man muttered. His brushed some of his ginger-brown hair out of his face. His blue-hazel eyes glanced at Ravin, his slender body leaned over in a tense position.

"We will strike tomorrow night." Ravin muttered gravely. "As much as it pains me to allow her to stay there overnight, we can't afford to strike tonight-"

"What!?" Baylee stormed in, her temper sparking. "How could you leave her like that! She is probably being tortured as we speak and you don't want to mobilize tonight!?"

"Baylee, isn't it?" Baylee nodded at the nameless man, "Well, Baylee, if we strike tonight, we could be overpowered and killed. The King will be expecting us. We would lose more men than it is worth-"

"That it is worth?" Baylee growled.

"Think about it for a moment, Baylee." This was the second time Benjamin had spoken to her directly. "If we struck tonight, we would lose men. If—keep in mind that this is a very slim possibility—we managed to get Kallie out alive, she would have the lives of those men on her conscience."

"But-"

"Baylee, that is enough." Ravin barked, "This is exactly why I didn't include you. You don't grasp the concept of strategy."

"Am I the only one that can save her!?" She shouted.

"That shady butler would sniff you out before you ever got back in the castle." Jasper leaned back lazily. "Think about it, sweetheart."

"I am the only one then." Baylee said decisively, "I know that castle like the back of my hand. I've spent four years living there, so I think–"

"No. No thinking, Baylee." Ravin barked, "When you think, it is dangerous."

"Just allow me–"

"This is not open for discussion, Baylee." Benjamin chimed in. "No offense intended, but you will only get in our way."

"I have an idea!" Baylee perked up, having ignored everything they said.

"No!" Ravin snapped, "No ideas."

"Just be quiet and listen to me. I know him relitively well–"

"You don't know him at all." Ravin grumbled. She raised an eyebrow, so he let out an exasperated sigh and motioned for her to continue.

"Let me go back—" She stopped one of them before they interrupted, "then, you wait to ambush on our wedding day." Her face lit up in a proud way as she showcased her idea.

"There are a few key pieces of information that you are forgetting." the nameless man stated calmly. Baylee dramatically motioned for him to continue, "One. Kallie is still there, and the minute you return, he could murder her—literally destroying the kingdom." Baylee's proud look began to trickle off of her face, "Two. The day you wed him will be the day that there will be the most guards posted, meaning more danger for our men, and placing everyone involved in danger." Baylee began to chew on her lip. "Three. If any of us are found or caught, we will be trialed for treason and hanged if we happen to survive the slaughter. Must I go on?"

Baylee shook her head, "I must call off the engagement..." She fiddled with the ring in her hand.

Ravin sent a glare her way, "By this time, I believe that he is aware that you no longer wish to be married to him. The one reason she may still be alive is because he is waiting for your return."

"Ravin...I. Am. Trying!" Baylee cried out in an exasperated tone.

"Why not send him a letter?" Hugo suggested.

"Yes, let us end the Princess' life with a letter." the man muttered caustically.

"Be quiet and listen, Nathaniel." Jasper grumbled, "A letter is the safest way to end the King's delusions about your marrying him. If Kallie happens to suffer from it, I apologize and it's only an idea."

Ravin sighed as Baylee's eyes gleemed with wonder at Jasper. "Fine." He barked, "Just...do it and get it over with."

Baylee skipped to her room. She grabbed the ring off of the side table where she'd placed it before she and Jasper made love. She grabbed a peice of parchment and a pen with a bottle of ink. She wrote: "I no longer intend to marry you. If you want to say your last goodbyes, then come find me. And bring the girl." Her curly, messy scrawl spread across the page in the most pleasant way that she could make it.

She had the letter sealed in an envelope, sealed with wax, and handed it to Ravin, "How are we delivering it?"

"I will send a messenger from the city." He muttered, "We will wait on the letter's reply to continue on with the plan. Remember that the next time you want to rush in." He sauntered away from her.

"Wha..." She pursed her lips, making a face at him. She turned away from him, trying to squelch the feeling of guilt building in her stomach.

It was only a day before the King recieved the letter. The messenger galloped up to the castle on a steed, handing the message to his butler.

"Thank you for your services." He handed the messenger a gold piece with a false smile. The messenger bowed before mounting his steed and riding off into the distance. Seth's smile dropped off of his face as he looked at the seal. It was Kallie's insignia. His master was going to be less than happy; this envelope wasn't completely flat, and from the feel of it, it contained the ring that was once wrapped around Baylee's finger. This would envoke his fury, and if he didn't feel it, the Princess would.

Seth walked into the throne room briskly. The King sported a satisfied smile as he tipped a glass of wine to his lips, "Ah, Seth, my most faithful servant!" he cheered. Seth gave him a false smile, knowing that wine glass was sure to be broken in a moment. He handed him the envelope, "What is this? This is Kallie's insignia." His smile faded slightly, but not by much. "Oh well. Let me see..."

He ripped open the envelope open and allowed the ring to fall out into his hand. His smile faded, a confused look playing on his face. He slipped the letter out and read it, his right hand fidling with the ring as he read. His face slowly began to contort into a look of rage. His mouth fell into a dark scowl, gripping the letter tightly once he'd finished reading.

"That ungreatful, retched little bitch." He stood, slamming the wine glass against the wall across the room. He turned toward the grand staircase and stormed up the stairs. He stomped down the corridor, made a turn and kicked Kallie's door open.

The petite girl lifted her head groggily as she glanced at her fuming brother. She glared at him, the light from outside shining dull light on the bags that hung beneath her eyes. He chucked the letter at her harshly, his nostrils flaring in pure rage. Her shaky hands grabbed it, the light illuminating the circular, cuff-like cuts around her wrist. She read over the letter, only to laugh afterward. Her brother glared at her.

"This serves you right..." Kallie laughed.

"Oh?" He crossed his arms, "What makes you conclude that?"

"You are a sick bastard that abuses the power of supreme monarch." She growled, sneering up at him.

He sauntered forward and gripped her hair tightly in his hand, "If you don't silence your sarcastic squabbling, I will ensure that you never speak again."

"You have me. Why won't you end me, here and now?" She challenged, her lilac eyes stony.

"End you? That would require that I put you out of your misery," He tightened his grip on her hair. She let out a whimper and grit her teeth, "I don't believe that I will..." He whispered into her ear. He slammed her head back down onto the bed, grabbed the letter, and ripped it into pieces. He stalked away as the pieces floated to the ground.

As Ravin stated, they were awaiting a reply from the King. Baylee leaned into Jasper's chest on one of the mahogany and plush couch. Her nerves wracked her stomach as she awaited any news of a reply from the king. It had been three days, and no one mobilized as they were going to two days prior. A few scout trips had been made, but otherwise, no real progress had been made.

"I wonder if he ever received that letter." Ravin walked into the room, a letter in his hand. He tossed it on Baylee's lap.

"You have your answer." He grumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Took me two and a half days to finish this one. Well, I hope you like it Desi.