Status: Shorter Chapters, ReDoing WIP

Rightful Ruler

The Great Escape

"Who spit in your porridge...?" Baylee mumbled to herself, looking at the letter. Her name was on the front in angular, handsome handwriting. She knew it well, for it belonged to the King.

"What are waiting for?" Hugo muttered, "Open it."

Baylee's fumbling fingers fiddled with the wax seal that bore the royal insignia. She growled as she glared at it. A hand—Jasper's—pulled it from her lap, cut it open with a dagger and handed it back to her. She muttered a brief, "Thank you," and slipped the letter out.

It read: "Clever trick my dear, but I am not fooled so easily. Under no circumstances will I meet you anywhere. If you truly wish to see me, you may come to the palace. If you are curious, Kallie is still alive. Be sure to alert the resistance base of that."

Another lump formed in her throat. What had she done?

She turned on the bandit, shoving away from him, "Great plan Jasper." She barked, "Now the only option is for me to go myself."

"Don't pin this on me." He snapped back, "You should have never tried to bargain with the devil, love."

"We have to rescue her. I'm the only one that can and it's final. When the town is asleep, I will be going back to save her." Baylee said decisively, "Does anyone have anything black that I might borrow?"

"No. You aren't going." Ravin ordered, "It would mean the death of both of you."

"I know the palace," Her tone dripped with arrogance, "I won't be found." She kept her head raised in a proud way.

"This is what he wishes." Ravin barked.

"Just...SHUT YOUR MOUTH, ALREADY!" Baylee screeched, "She is like a sister to me!" She pouted late into the night, refusing to eat despite Helga's threats. She even pretended to sleep so Ravin would no longer watch her so closely. When the rest of the base had fallen asleep, she was sure that the city would be as well.

She sat up, glancing around her dark room. She knew the front door would be guarded. If she attempted to sneak out of her room she might wake Ravin. She had no other alternative, so she dressed in the same ebony day dress that she had worn three days before. She didn't bother with any shoes, they would only slow her down and make more noise. Her feet made no noise as she crept down the long, narrow hallway. Past the intersection, kitchen, dining room, armory and into the living room.

"You might as well go back to bed. We will be mobilizing within the early hours of the morning so you may rest." Benjamin's form was sitting next to a single lit candle as he whittled a large piece of wood with an intricately designed knife.

"Why don't you come with me?" Baylee coaxed, "You have feelings for her do you not?"

"My feelings for Kallie won't interfere with our chance at pulling her to freedom." He stated bluntly, "That is something that you should take to heart, Baylee."

"What? Lying down and leaving her to be tortured!?" She barked.

"You aren't going anywhere," He stated, "If you do, you will ruin our chances at rescuing Kallie alive. We're lucky that she has survived this long."

"W-w-" Baylee let out a frustrated growl.

"Be glad that I wouldn't let Ravin wait up. He would have been livid." He muttered looking up at her, "So let us keep this between us." Baylee made a face at him, still fuming. She was grateful that he wasn't going to tell Ravin, but she was pissed. That was her only chance to get out.

She pushed the door shut and let out a sigh. Her eyes barely brushed over the window, when they were suddenly glued to it. Why hadn't she thought of this before!? No, She thought, it was better for her if Benjamin believed he had thwarted her. If he didn't, he would surely alert Ravin. Baylee glanced around, how would she get through the window? It was small, but Baylee was slender, so she might barely fit. If she was Kallie, she wouldn't...Kallie was rather voluptuous for her petite size.

She pushed it open, trying to silence the groaning of the protesting window. When she got it open far enough she pulled the—very heavy—mahogany and plush chair underneath it. She may have been tall, but she wasn't that tall. She stood on the chair and started to shove herself out of the widow after she grabbed a lit candle and wrapped herself in a cloak. She placed it on the ground as she climbed through. She pushed the window until it was cracked, just as it was originally. She wouldn't need to return this way. She would be bringing Kallie through the front doors.

She could see it now. Oh, how she would gloat when she was the one to bring Kallie back safely...

She looked around, facing the way of the window. She knew that was the direction she needed to face, but the forest was lush and dark. It would be easy for her to get turned around. She looked up, she never noticed that the resistance base was beneath the roots of an old oak tree. How...how beautiful. Though, at night, it was sort of eerie... She began to sneak by the ivy draped windows, doing her best to hide the flame. She stumbled through the woods until she found the familiar ivy covered rocks and path. She inwardly cheered as she bound up the path.

She snuck over the crumbling wall, and plunged herself into the heart of town. Few people moved around, but she still pulled up her hood. She couldn't have a guard noticing her and alerting the King. She walked steadily toward the palace, wishing she had eaten something that night. Maybe she should have snuck a few left overs from the kitchen on the way out...Maybe she could sneak through the kitchen in the palace and steal a roll of bread. She didn't have her coin purse and she was sure that the bakery was closed.

Maybe Ravin was right...she should start thinking a little farther ahead. She rushed along the path to the Palace, extinguishing the flame when she got close. She snuck around the guards as she walked the winding path up to the palace. The front door warranted death, but guards were packed around the palace. She knew that well from her mad dash to escape the first time. She thought for a moment...maybe if she scaled the the ivy covered wall and entered through the library. Even if she saw guards, she could hide in there. That was her only option...

As quietly as her feet could carry her, she rushed toward the ivy covered wall and began to scale it. It took nearly all of her strength to hoist herself through the windows. They were old and took a lot of heft and balance to shove open because they hadn't been opened in quite some time. Once she was through, she cracked the window, taking a lot more effort than she was expecting. She wouldn't be able to use these in a pinch. If she was going to get Kallie out, then she was going to have to be able to shove her out this window. That is, if she wasn't too badly injured to do so.

She looked around the library. She didn't have many fond memories of this room. She would often get lost in the maze of book shelves. There were three floors of them, the third floor being only for the monarch's eyes. Each of them packed with books. Some thick, some thin, some worn, some new, some dusty and old, others had just been books the kings had collected from different places. There was even an entire section devoted entirely to fairy tails for Kallie. Her father personally collected them when Kallie was a little girl. Kallie loved sitting up there and reading them all day long before Lord Alabaster passed.

Baylee smiled fondly at the memories. Even she had to admit that missed Alabaster Paris. He was a good man, and he took her under his wing when her parents died. He was an even better King. He was wise, kind, compassionate, and level headed. Everything Demitri was not...and everything Kallie is. Baylee always knew that Kallie was more suited to become queen than she would ever be. Why Demitri ever chose her as his future bride, she would never know... She made her way through the library, having memorized the path from so many times of getting lost.

Left, right, straight, right again and there were the giant arches that were the exits of the library. She was free! Quietly, she snuck out through the doors. She was already on the second floor, for that was where the library was, so she was already to close to Kallie. She just had to fetch some things from her room. She ran to the northwest tower, avoiding guards as she went. She pushed her door open and crept over to her armoir. She grabbed her messenger's bag from the back corner and walked grabbed a few of her personal belongings: A dagger from beneath her bed, the many letters she had messengers sneak to her from Kallie, her favorite—and only—pair of slippers, Kallie's hair pin that she had left lying on the floor the last time she'd snuck out, and a few other things that she deemed essential.

She held the dagger tightly in her hand. She didn't want to hurt anybody, but she would have to defend herself. Though that was the case, she would rather avoid altercation completely. She pulled her door shut as she stepped out, glancing around the hall. Her eyes could barely make out the outlines of the walls with the help of the moonlight streaming in through the windows. There wasn't anyone there with her, so she was alright. There was only one thing that struck her as odd. Surely she would have run into a guard by now, but the entire time she was inside, she didn't find a single guard. All of them were outside. Was that were the King happened to station them? No, there had to be a reason. Oh well... On to Kallie's room.

She crept down the hall, her bare feet making no noise against the stone flooring. Her shaky hand gently pushed the door open, glancing around to be certain no one was near. She peaked her head into the room. Moonlight barely illuminated the room, illuminating Kallie's petite form. Baylee blinked, trying to get used to the sudden light.

"Kallie, w-wake up darling." She started forward, stopping when an unwelcome voice entered her ears.

"Shh..." The king whispered, "We don't want to wake her. This is the first time that she has slept in many days." He chuckled darkly as he rand his fingers through her ebony curls gingerly.

"Take your filthy hands off of her." Baylee growled, not bothering to be silent. As her eyes adjusted, she could see the multitude of dark marks and cuts on the few parts of her body that were exposed. Her eyes widened in horror at the sight of her broken form; what had she done!? "What have you done to her!? You monster!"

"Shhh..." He chuckled, "Did I not just tell you not to wake her?" He looked up at her, his violet gaze piercing her, even in the dark. He stood from his seat next to her on the bed.

"St-Stay away from her!" Her threat was weak and shaky as she held out a dagger in front of her.

Demitri shook his head, a throaty laugh leaving his lips, "You never listen." He stroked his sister's face gently, "You needn't worry about waking her, she has been drugged. She won't awaken for several more hours." He walked around the bed and toward Baylee.

"Bastard!" She began to back away, fear settling into her stomach.

"I knew you would return when I sent you that letter." He stated arrogantly, "In the mean time, you've not only left Kallie open, but yourself and Hugo." He took a few slow steps forward.

She stumbled away from him, backing into the door and closing it with a click, "Stay away from me!" He stepped forward until there was a mere foot between them. He gazed down at her, standing only a head taller than her.

"You aren't a virgin." He stated. It wasn't a question.

Baylee growled, "Why do you have the right to know?"

"You needn't say a thing..." He chucked in her ear, tilting her chin up and pressing a kiss to her lips. When she shuddered and pushed him away, he spoke again, "I can smell him on you."

"So what if I'm not!?" She barked, blushing a deep shade of crimson.

"The people of the kingdom won't take the fact that their Queen is a whore lightly." He smirked darkly, barking out a laugh.

She glared up at him darkly, "I love him! I am not a whore if I have sex with the man that I love."

"Oh, but you are..." He exclaims, a little too happily. "You must marry the man before you take part in intercourse with him, remember. Since you are to be wedded to me, you shall be labeled with adultery, and therefore, a whore." He smiled cruelly, "And when the people want your head, I will be happy to execute you myself."

"I will never marry you!" He forced the dagger from her hands and a shiver rolled down her body.

"Silence." He ordered, "There is something that I must deal with..." He sauntered toward Kallie, the dagger in his hand.

"Stay away from her!" She screeched angrily, beginning to lurch forward.

"Lower your voice." His order was low and deadly as he pressed the blade to Kallie's throat.

"Don't kill her! I will do anything..." She plead helplessly.

"Even become my bride and stop these ridiculous delusions...?" He tempted, eyeing her cautiously.

She nodded wildly, "Yes! Fine, just don't-"

"No." Her voice was slurred. A surged of relief rolled over Baylee.

Demitri glared down at his sister, "Seth must have not given you a strong enough dose." The king growled.

"I will be wedded to you, just don't kill her. I will never speak of Jasper again if you'll just leave him alone! I promise..." Baylee plead again, considering dropping to her knees.

Demitri's glare turned on her, "Do you really believe that you are in any position to bargain." He growled.

"Ignore him..." Kallie urged weakly.

Baylee sighed, trying to calm her frantically beating heart, "Do you want this deal or don't you?"

"Don't do this." The girl muttered, words still hazy.

"Silence!" The back of the King's hand slammed against her cheek.

Baylee let out a yelp as Kallie whimpered, "Stop! Answer me Demitri." She barked shakily.

"Fine." He grumbled, his glare on her again.

"Do as I say. Release her." She challenged.

His returning look was cruel as he fiddled with the dagger in his hands, "I think not..." He barked, "I won't be doing anything you say. The deal was to simply let her and Hugo live. Nothing more, nothing less..."

She shot him an angry glare, "You are a cold hearted bastard."

He crossed the room, tilting her face up to his, "I will leave Jasper Hugo be, but my sister will stay here." Baylee yanked her face away from his hand. He pulled her from the door.

"Seth." His shady butler then entered through the door, "Take her to her room." He looked to Baylee, "You are to stay. If you don't obey me this time, I will personally kill Hugo, and you will get the chance to watch me slay my sister." He said into her ear.

Seth gripped Baylee's forearm and nudged her out the door. She sighed impatiently, "I walk on my own."

"Orders are orders, and I must obey them." He stated bluntly, leading her to her room. Baylee winced as she heard a cry of pain issuing from Kallie's chambers. She had just pissed him off, and Kallie was paying for that as well.

When he'd nudged her into her room, she spoke. "Seth," He answered with a hmm, "May we speak alone?"

"What is it?"

"Do you love her?" Baylee gave him a pain-filled look.

"Of whom do you speak?" He turned away from her, hiding a smirk.

"Don't try to play that ridiculous who game with me." She barked.

"Would there be any relevance if I did?"

"Yes. Unlike me at the moment, you can save her." Baylee crossed her arms, not budging on the subject.

"Why do you assume that I harbor any amorous feelings for the girl?"

"I am not playing games with you, Seth." She barked.

"How exactly do you presume that I 'save her'." He threw her a skeptical glace over his shoulder.

"Carry her away from here..." Her eyes narrowed irritably.

"It would be treasonous to disobey my master's orders." He stated bluntly. "My personal feelings for the girl, whether I have them or not, do not matter. A servant cannot betray his master, and that is something that you should take to heart."

"You are hopeless. To think, you might actually have stood a chance with her. Sad, sad story... You may leave." She waved him off arrogantly.

Seth raised an eyebrow. He rolled his eyes and closed the door, exhaling a large sigh before continuing on. Baylee laid on her bed, staring at the canopy above her, "I've betrayed Jasper..." She muttered, soon drifting into a deep, exhausted slumber.

She was woken in the morning by Seth. "Baylee, the king has sent for you."

She gazed at him, dazed and confused, "Tell him to allow me to sleep for a while longer... I'm tired..." She rolled over, only to be flipped out of the bed when he flipped her mattress. "Alright! I am awake... Allow me a few moments to myself." She grumbled irritably.

"I will wait outside." Seth smiled a false smile, "He told me that I am to escort you." He short her one last smile and stepped out.

She grumbled to herself as she stood and made her way to her armoir. She pulled out a pale blue dress, one of the King's personal favorites. She kept her feet bare and she threw her hair into a neat bun. "Onward." She grumbled sarcastically. Her eyes strayed to Kallie's door. It was shut. How was she... Seth urged her down the corridor and the stairs.

She stumbled into the throne room, "Sleep well?" The king teased, perched on his throne.

"What do you want?" She snapped.

"I can't request to see you without wanting something?" He pretended as though he were offended, "How do you know that I did not wish to see your lovely face...?"

"You don't love me."

"Love has nothing to do with whether or not I marvel at your beauty." He smirked, "That could be my reasoning..." His smirk turned teasing as he watched her sour look.

"Don't play with her head." Kallie's irritated voice drifted over to him from the bottom of the grand staircase. She ambled into the throne room slowly, wincing at every wrong step. The dark rings under her eyes were very prominent, and every single bruise and cut was visible in the proper lighting.

Baylee sent a glare at Seth, shaking her head in disappointment.

"Those dark rings are from lack of sleep. I have attempted to persuade him to avoid marking her face." He muttered quietly into her ear.

Demitri let out a harsh laugh as he glanced at his sister, "You don't look well, little sister." His tone filled with dark humor.

"I wonder..." She spat.

Baylee's eyes narrowed, "What is it that you want Demitri?"

"I just wanted to watch you squirm as entertainment before I have to begin work." His lips lifted in a sharp smirk. Baylee glared at him but said nothing. Kallie stumbled forward, cursing under her breath as Baylee caught her.

"Seth," The butler raised a brow, "Take her to her chambers. She needs rest, and I want time alone with my lord." Baylee ordered pompously.

"I apologize m'lady, but I am unable to take orders from you." He said politely. He looked to his master for recognition. The King nodded, waving her off, so the lanky Butler scooped her into his arms and carried her up the stairs.

Baylee advanced toward Demitri, her stomach flipping. "What are you doing?" He grumbled as Baylee stroked his thigh.

"I am putting in the effort to love you." She let out an awkward giggle. The King gave her a smirk. "Marriage is binding." She muttered bleakly.

He pulled her on his lap and pressed his lips to hers. Baylee cringed but accepted him. She had no choice at the moment. She knew that the resistance base could mobilize at any moment, so she needed to buy time. To be on the Lord's decent terms until she could ready Kallie for departure. As their lips moved, Baylee imagined that he was Jasper. Jasper's lips just didn't feel like his–

"My Lord," Demitri pulled away from Baylee, making her quietly gasp for breath.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Status report." The bowing guard stated.

"Out with it." Demitri leaned against the arm of the throne, seemingly bored.

"There has been no recent activity to report. No recognized members of the resistance have been out in sometime, almost two weeks my lord." He stated, keeping his bow.

"Anything else."

"There have not been any attempted breaches in security since Lady Baylee, your lordship."

"Very good." He waved off the guard. He looked to Baylee, "I can't fraternize with you all day long. I have work to do, so kindly go away."

Baylee jumped off his lap, "Fine." She barked, crossing her arms and storming up the stairs. As she walked down the corridor, she noticed Seth leaving Kallie's room. He passed her, "You could-"

"Enough of that foolish talk of betrayal, Baylee." Seth said harshly. He walked away after giving her a polite smile.

Baylee sauntered forward, muttering about nothing in particular as she headed for her door. She paused, glancing down the hall. She should check on Kallie... so she did.

She walked a few doors down and carefully pushed Kallie's door open. Kallie was lying on her bed, her ebony curls spilled over her pillow. Her eyelids were closed and her breathing was soft. Baylee crept in, leaving her door cracked. "You needn't sneak around." Kallie muttered. Baylee jumped as Kallie's lilac gaze was suddenly on her.

She sat up, wincing at the movement, "No–Kallie, don't strain yourself." Baylee rushed forward, sitting beside her.

"Baylee, I will be fine." She muttered, placing a soothing hand on her shoulder. Baylee swallowed the hard lump in her throat as her eyes found the cuff-like marks around her wrists, surely from the King's torture.

"Kallie...I can't begin to tell you just how badly I feel for getting you into this mess and abandoning you. I-I..." Baylee gnawed on her lip as her eyes found patterns on the floor. Anything to escape those eyes.

"Baylee," She refused to look at her, "I knew what I was doing. What we were originally planning was accomplished. You rescued Hugo, did you not?"

"Yes, I-"

"Exactly!" Kallie stated smoothly.

"I feel horrible! Guilt has been eating me away since you were captured, and I left you here—I just left you here!" Baylee cried, "I can not tell you how ashamed I am, Kallie! I-I–I want you to be angry at me. Hate me. Strike me. Hold me in contempt. Make me pay for inflicting this upon you, just don't act like everyone else and forgive me." Baylee's head snapped to the side as Kallie's palm collided with her cheek.

"Enough." Baylee held her cheek, "I did not spend four days being interrogated and terrorized to listen to you plea for my contempt. If you do not squelch you masochistic words, I might just strike you again."

"I-"

"Baylee, I will hear no more of this talk. Either, silence yourself and help me walk to the library, or leave me be and allow to do it myself." Her voice carried the authority of a queen, so Baylee obeyed.

"The king is distracted, so I'll aid you." She helped Kallie out of her bed. Baylee rushed around and helped her slip on a pair of slippers and stand on her feet. Slowly, they hobbled into the library. Kallie pulled away from Baylee's support, looking around the room that was her father's pride and joy.

The Princess stumbled forward, touching a nearby nearly ceiling high shelf. Her father invested many of his years of hard work to gather many of the volumes in this room. She, herself, haven't read most of them, just those collected solely for her. Every fairy tail, every fantasy adventure or tale that her father collected, she'd read them all. Over, and over. Other than this kingdom, they were the last thing she had left of her father. Kallie let out a sad sigh, how she missed the old man.

An elderly man with a kind face ambled out of the maze of shelves, "Oh, m'lady. I did not notice your coming." He bowed to Kallie. "Lady Baylee." Baylee nodded in acknowledgement.

"There is no need for such formality, Albert." The princess said, a smile lifting up her face. Her eyes held the compassion that her tone did easily, making a pang of longing rocket through Baylee.

"I, on behalf of all of the residents of this castle—including the guards, would like to extend our deepest apology. Our harsh treatment of you is not by choice." His voice filled with tears as he pressed his forehead against her hand that he took in his.

"I know. I bear no ill will to any of you. You must follow orders, I understand." Kallie muttered soothingly, placing a hand on the elder's shoulder.

His washed out blue eyes lifted to her face, "You will make a gracious queen, your highness. Again, I apologize for and mistreatment that you may have been issued under the orders of your brother." Kallie softly stroked his wispy white hair.

"All is good. Now rise, bookkeeper." The man humbly bowed once more before rising, seemingly eager for his next gentle command.

"I assure you princess, for however long you remain here, if there is ever a chance that you slip out of your brother's sight, this will be your safe harbor." The man stated proudly in his husky voice.

A soft smile dusted across Kallie's lips as she gazed up at the man. Baylee knew then why so many pledge their devotion to Kallie. Not only did she carry her mother's authority in that violet gaze, but she carried both the late king and queen's compassion and understanding. The way she lovingly gazed at the people around her, preferring them stand as opposed to bowing to her. Her gentle words that could soothe an uneasy heart or even a child's tears. This woman was made to be Queen, and until she was of age, her brother would hold it.

"Would you care for refreshments?" A hopeful gleam passed through the man's faded eyes as he looked between the girls.

Baylee opened her mouth to refuse, but Kallie beat her to it, "If it will put you out, don't even think on it."

"It would be my pleasure." He ushered them into the maze of books, leading them to an area near the window where a shallow fire pit sat with a cauldron over top of it. Baylee and the old man eased Kallie into a seat next to the fire. "I shall go and alert the cook that the Princess and Lady Baylee are in need of refreshment." The man returned with a platter of bread, cheese and sausage.

Baylee stared at it longingly, her mouth salivating. She hadn't eaten all night long, and she hadn't had anything. She somehow doubted that the cook would have made anything at all if Kallie wasn't with her. Baylee had complained about her cooking far too many times for the old woman to willingly want to make her anything. Maybe that was why the quality of the food had decreased...She had complained too much.

He offered the tray to Kallie first—in the current situation, Baylee would have too—but she politely declined. "I am not particularly famished. Perhaps Baylee would be more in need of it." She gave the man a polite smile. He nodded and bowed as he offered the tray to Baylee.

Baylee raised an eyebrow. Surely Kallie was hungry... "Are you not-"

"Baylee, I can hear your stomach over here." Kallie muttered lightly, "You must eat." Baylee grabbed a slice of bread and nodded a thank you to the old man.

"Surely you are more famished than that." He muttered, a smile on his face. "Here." He placed the tray beside her. "I will return shortly, make yourselves comfortable." He ambled away from them, deeper into the maze of books.

"What are you doing?" Baylee snapped. "You may refuse food, but I cannot?"

"As I relayed to Albert, I am not particularly famished." Kallie stated softly.

"You probably haven't eaten in as long as I have, Kallie." Baylee argued, "You need sustinence."

"Baylee, let it go." Kallie muttered softly, her lilac eyes watching the flames dance beneath the cauldron.

"No, you need–"

"Baylee. Drop the subject, it is not open for discussion." Kallie stated firmly.

"Why...why won't you accept the food?" Baylee was steadfast. Now that she was here, she was going to take care of her. Nothing was going to happen to her while she was around. That was what she decided to do to make up for the torture she'd received.

"It isn't open for-"

"Why!?" Baylee snapped, placing the bread back on the platter.

"I'm not hungry, Baylee." She barked. "I haven't been for sometime now. Not for days..." Her eyes dropped to the ground.

Baylee's jaw tensed. Kallie was starved. That was the only possible deduction that she could make from this. She was going to have to speak to Demitri about her treatment. Supposed prisoner or not, she was still a princess.

"Alright, but at least try to eat." Baylee's tone dropped, almost pleading.

"I will be alright." She stated.

The rest of that day passed by slowly, dragging in a crawl as they sat in the library. The King never sent for them, never bothered them, never paid them any mind, didn't even order Seth to breath down their necks; so, they did what they pleased. Eventually, night came and Baylee finally placed Kallie back in her bed. Kallie fell asleep almost instantly. When Seth entered the room to check on her, he saw Baylee stroking Kallie's hair softly.

"I think it is time for you to move you your chambers, m'lady." Seth stated politely.

"I am staying here tonight." Baylee stated.

Seth sighed, "Oh well, then we only have to disperse four guards as opposed to eight." He shrugged as he spoke, heading for the door. "Remember, if you attempt to escape, your chances are very slim."

When the door closed, Baylee sighed. She stood and crossed the room to part the curtains, allowing cool air to roll in as she opened the window. She inhaled the cool air, "Much better." She walked back over to the bed and laid beside her closest friend, stroking her ebony curls.

Soon after Baylee began to nod off. Vivid fantasies of her nights of love making with Hugo colored her mind. Every touch, move...every steamy moment... The way his hand traced her slender curves. Her fingers would trace over his toned chest. His lips would brush across her neck and her lips. She kiss down his chest and stomach. "Baylee..." Jasper would groan, "Baylee...Baylee..." That wasn't his voice... "Baylee!"

Baylee's popped open in alarm. Someone hovered over her. She blinked until her eyes adjusted to see Ravin's face. She jolted up. "Ravin!" She chimed, her voice almost breaking a whisper.

"Shh!" He scorned, "Get your belongings ready to go." Baylee glanced over near the door. That was where she had dropped her satchel, and it was still there.

"I'm ready." She called across the room in a whisper.

Ravin nodded as he turned his gaze on Kallie. His mouth sunk into a grimace and his eyes softened, "Princess." He stroked her cheek, "M'lady...Kallie." Kallie's eyes popped open and she gasped. "Shh...shh, it is me..." He gingerly pressed a finger to her lips.

"Ravin..." She whispered, her voice cracking with emotion.

"Shh..." He stroked her cheek soothingly, helping her by pulling her up by her petite hands. Kallie winced at every inch she moved. Baylee cringed as she looked away from them. Ravin pulled her to her feet, helping her smooth out her pretty ankle length nightgown. "Baylee," Ravin called. Baylee lifted her head, "Be ready."

She bit her lip as she glanced around, "How are we leaving?"

"We're climbing." He motioned to the open window. "Thank you for leaving it open." He sent a smirk her way before helping Kallie slip on a pair of slippers. "Let's go." Baylee nodded, walking over to the window. Below, she could see a carriage and Benjamin standing in front of it, his face hopeful. She glanced down at the wall, relieved to see the ivy climbing up it. This didn't ease her nerves very much though.

Jasper Hugo climbed out of the carriage and Baylee's heart made a leap into the air. She eagerly swung a leg over—keeping her satchel steady—and making sure her foot had a snug place in the ivy before putting her weight on it and lifting the other leg over. Jasper gave her a flirty wink, sending a blush to Baylee's cheeks and making her eager to be in his arms once more.

Ravin helped her amble to the window, inwardly wincing every time the princess cringed in pain. "There you are...easy..." He muttered soothingly.

"Should I go next?" Kallie muttered glancing over the window's edge. Her eyes met with Benjamin's for a brief moment, bringing a heat to her cheeks. Her eyes dropped as she looked into Ravin's disbelieving face.

"Do you honestly believe that I would let you climb anything, m'lady?" Kallie's lips parted to retort, but he didn't allow her, "No. You won't be; I will carry you." He lifted Kallie by her waist and gently draped her over his broad shoulders. Kallie gripped the back of his cloak as a stinging pain stabbed through her all of her body. Every movement sent new waves of agony through her. Some were worse than others, but the pain still existed.

Ravin was nearly half way down the wall of ivy when Kallie's door burst open. A howl of fury ripped through the air, alerting them that the King had seen her bed empty. Ravin quickened his pace glancing down and ordering Baylee into the carriage. Jasper coaxed her into it as she watched the window and Kallie fearfully. As Ravin placed his feet on the ground and Kallie on her feet, he looked up. The King's heavy foot steps could be heard bounding through the room, and his face reached the window.

His eyes met Ravin's, and a challenge was issued silently. Kallie glanced up as Demitri turned away to order the guards that were surely by his side. She was scooped up as he looked down at her directly. The petite girl looked up at Benjamin as he tucked her into the cabin of the carriage.

"Get in. I will steer." Ravin muttered to him. Ben nodded and took a seat beside Kallie after closing the door. The cabin shook gently as Ravin mounted it, "Yahh!" The snap of reins echoed through the air and the carriage took off toward the forest, not bothering to run through town.

Kallie winced at the tiny bumps, biting her lip to keep any whine or cry subdued. Benjamin kept a protective arm around her as they rode off, but a sudden small jerk made him grab onto something so that he wouldn't collide with the Princess.

"Ravin," Kallie called, "What happened!?"

"Nothing." His grunt was curt and raspy. "Nothing, princess. Just an animal crossing the road." His voice softened a tad. Kallie wasn't convinced as she looked to the others. Benjamin was the only one that didn't seem to shrug it off. She knew Ravin wouldn't tell her that something happened in an attempt to keep her calm, so she knew better than to believe his lie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally. Another chapter. This took me longer because it actually diverged from the original story line, so I was making it up as I went along. Trust me, it is better this way. It has much more substance, and I've been doing my best to keep other characters in it. It just makes it seem much more realistic. The original was centered around the protagonists, and it didn't really show anyone else.
Hope you like it Desi.