Status: In Progress

Make 'Em Count

Chapter 1 : 17

Kevyn fell to the floor face first. His ribs hurt worse than he could ever have imagine and he had sprains in muscles he didn't know existed. Struggling, he rolled over and, wincing, looked back down the hall. The flickering lights made it hard to see but he couldn't see any of them which was good because he was not exactly in fighting shape. Scanning the room he saw a few tables, some chairs, a sink and some cupboards. He needed to get up but that wasn't going to happen without some support. Flipping over again he started sliding towards the nearest table, it's stainless steel shining with the flicker of light. He got his hand up on the table and tried to pull himself up, got up a bit, then collapsed back on the floor. His hand shot back to his side, feeling the metal stuck there. Realizing he wasn't going to be able to stand he decided to try and lean against the cupboards at the back of the room. Sliding himself over there he saw the trail of blood he was leaving behind as he slowly moved across the room. He'd lost a lot, maybe too much, and he started noticing that he felt cold.

As he leaned his back against the cupboard he figured he might as well check and see what gear he had left. His primary was gone, he knew that, but he still had his sidearm. He used his free hand and unholstered it with a bit of grunt. He looked over the black handgun, a bright “HK” stamped on the side, and placed it in his right palm, his left hand holding his right side in support. As he curled his finger around the weapon it recognized him and the small LED on the side flicked from red to green. Following that he racked the slide against his leg chambering a round. Just above his thumb a green display read “17”. He had a full magazine, the first good news in hours. “Good things....” he mumbled finding his mouth somewhat hard to work. That's when he heard it. Rapid foot steps coming down the halls.

“Come to pass...” he said raising the weapon. The first one came down the hall it's face showing in the flickering light. It's mouth was torn on one side and it was wearing a lab coat covered in blood and some other fluid. Kevyn fired, the weapon bucking in his hand as it expended the first cartridge. The shot hit the lab assistant square in the chest sending him back a few steps and dropping to the floor. The counter on the pistol read, “16”. Kevyn knew they would all come his way but he had no choice. Maybe the others would escape, if they were even alive. Another head popped around the corner, equally grotesque, and Kevyn fired again. Then more faces and the horrible bodies they were connected to. Kevyn kept up the fire, glancing at the counter. It read, “10” now. They were beginning to close in. Kevyn was still firing but there were just too many. He shot one and it went limp but those behind kept pushing it on, the body dancing like some horrible ragdoll. The front most creature lept towards him and he shot it square in the face. He glanced at the counter, “1”. As he looked up from his weapon a creature that he thought must have been a very attractive women lept towards him making a horrible screeching noise and landed on him. She kept biting for him but he blocked with his arm on her neck. Her once blue eyes darted erraticly around their sockets looking for any break in his defense. He placed the handgun high in the middle of her chest, between her breasts. He pulled the trigger and the counter read “0”.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rough work. I haven't written anything in quite some time but I figured it was time to get back into it. Criticism and general comments are welcome!