Status: slow updates

Forgotten Love

04

Kisa stood, holding Madelyn to on her hip as she walked through a store with Abby. Patrick was busy in another story trying to find the things they need, even if they couldn’t remember what they were called they knew they needed food and that was the store her and Abby where in while they needed other things and Patrick was in that store. They were grateful electric companies would leave the power on for the city, free of charge until everything was sorted out and men in hazmat suits would drive in trucks full of supplies while helicopters would drop off more items. The men in hazmat suits would also be going around offering medical attention and looking in all the abandoned cars for people that needed help.

They still had no answers even after a week and no one was getting better. She bounced Madelyn who didn’t seem upset a single bit about the fact that she couldn’t remember once she’d been informed Abby was mommy and Patrick was daddy. That was her only concern once she’d been told her name prior to those questions being answered. With those three things in hand she was golden.

Kisa wished she could be that carefree.

Time went by slowly yet people feel into a rhythm and had an understanding with the outside forces that wore the hazmat suits and wandered, even after the initial panic they caused. People began to help out in stores, play sports, play music, and go about life in a way that felt familiar to them. By the time three months had pass, Chicago was still blocked off from the world and Roth was controlling the city to help it get back on its feet. She wasn’t sure if they were anywhere near standing with her in charge though.

Kisa’s life hadn’t changed over the three months. She still had no last name, no ditching groom, no home to call her own, and no idea where to start looking. Abby and Patrick were more than happy to let her stay with them, even Madelyn was happy that she was around. But it was hard to watch their perfect little family knowing somewhere she should have the start of one herself. Most of the time she found herself away from the apartment because she couldn’t stand to see the loving gazes Abby and Patrick sent each other; though they had no idea why.

Wandering the streets was something she was getting good at. She never found anything new, but it never hurt. She could always find her way back to Patrick and Abby’s place now.

“Let’s go home…I think we have everything…” Abby mumbled as she started at the full cart of box, can, and packaged food. Chicago wasn’t given fresh fruit or meat, the government had stated they were afraid of what would happen if they needed to take old produce out of the city. They were afraid whatever affected Chicago would leave on the food.

It made sense in a backwards sort of way. They didn’t know what affected them so it was easier to ensure what went into the city didn’t have to be removed. Only the Hazmat people would leave and they would be decontaminated on their way out. Whatever that meant. It sounded painful to Kisa. She didn’t know why anyone would try to help them if they had to be decontaminated afterwards.

“If it isn’t my lovely ladies.” Patrick grinned as they entered the apartment. “I grabbed stuff…I don’t know what it is, but I went with it.” He admitted. The bags at his feet were over flowing with things.

“Why do you have a whole three bags on candles?” Abby pressed concerned.

“I don’t know. I saw them and panicked, what if the power goes out and they turn it off on us?” He gasped. “I want light, I want heat, I want to be able to slowly burn something to eat.”

Kisa blinked as she opened a bag and found massive blankets tucked into the enormous blanket. Her gaze lifted to the two. Abby’s mouth floundered, her eyes soft at his words.

“Aw, my great big protector.” Abby cooed.

“Can you two be disgusting later?” Kisa wondered honestly as they stepped towards each other. “What else did you get?” She asked.

“All sorts of things I don’t know what they do.” He grinned. She laughed in understanding. “I got the things I was told to get and as I was wondering around this massive store I saw they had food too, but none of if it looked right, so I left it alone knowing you guys were getting food so I just kept wandering and when I saw something I grabbed it. My mind every time when: What is this happens? So I took it. If they shut the power off we have stuff to keep us warm and cook with.”

“Candles?” Abby and Kisa laughed.

“I got that little guy too.” He pointed to the green shelled item. It stood on two thin bent metal legs. “And the things that start it. It’s for cooking.” He huffed.

“What is it?” Kisa wondered.

“The box said grill. Cook delicious food no matter where you are.” He shrugged. Both hummed. “So I got that, some blankets, and some other stuff.”

“You’re so perfect!” Abby cooed at him again. Kisa rolled her eyes and stood, leaving the apartment. There was no stopping them now.

Wandering around for hours she paused looking around. Pursing her lips at the feeling she wondered what the hell she was looking at. Before her a massive building stood leaking cold out into the air. A glittering sign flashed an old date with ‘Blackhawks vers Kings’.

Crossing the street she let her feet lead her. Moments like this were rare for her. She didn’t get the feeling she knew a thing, a place, or a person often and when her feet just wanted to move towards the familiar feeling she let it. For all she knew her groom lay inside or even the answer to who she was or what her last name was.

The building was freezing, yelling rang out from the empty halls, echoing. Taking in the ticket booth empty and dusty she passed it, the title of the floor clicking under the heels she still wore. Her eyes dropped to the dirt white heels. She was grateful Abby was roughly the same size as her. She didn’t have to wander the streets of Chicago in a wedding dress. Sadly though, they didn’t have the same size feet. Abby had child size feet it seemed like while she had clown feet. She couldn’t even get half her foot into one of Abby’s shoes.

As the yells became clear she lifted her gaze slightly. Below her a massive white rink spread out around her. Stumbling, slipping, sliding, and tumbling people went. One man moved easily around the rink, yelling at them to get it together.

Her feet carried her down the stairs to the glass the separated the people in the rink from the seats. Turning she looked away as two men fell, hazmat people easily at their sides in seconds. Her eyes scanned the seats around the rink. Dozens of people sat and stood around watching. Was this what they did here? Watch people attempt to do…whatever it was they were doing?

Facing the rink she watched the man yelling at them.

“I can’t even remember my name or what this is called and look how easy it is for me!” He bellowed. “I don’t think any of you belong here!” he added rudely. IT was true. Compared to him those on the rink were failing miserably. “If you can’t even stand on this ice what business do you have playing the game?” He seemed to pause at his own words. A hazmat man was at his side in an instance, drawing his attention. “No I don’t remember anything! I don’t even know why I said that!” He yelled. His mustache seemed to be bristling up in anger as the aggression in his voice rose.

“It’s ice skating.” She clamped her hands over his mouth started. “Why did I saw that?” She whispered. Taking several steps back she fell into a hard plastic seat. Staring at the boards before her she tried to figure out why she said that.

‘What do you do for a living?’ she heard herself ask. As she looked up all she saw was thin lips forming into a lopsided grin. There was a mark on his chin.

‘I play hockey.’ He seemed to laugh as she didn’t respond. Even then she didn’t follow what he meant. ‘I skate around on ice shooting a little plastic disk at a net.’ He chuckled.

‘That sounds like a waste of time.’ She mumbled, only to gasp and apologize quickly.

‘Right to the ego.’ He hissed with a chuckle.

She blinked as tears rolled down her cheeks. Screaming she pushed back into her seat at the hazmat team in front of her.

“You just remember something didn’t you?” They asked.

“Get away from me!” She screamed. Standing she pushed through them and bolted up the stairs. Holding her head she wandered the halls confused. What had she just seen? Who was that man? Why was she talking to him? Why couldn’t she remember anything but his chin and smile?

Sinking to the ground she whimpered as her head began to throb. It felt like her skull was going to split.

“Are you okay?” Her eyes snapped up at the kind gentle voice. He crouched next to her easily, hand falling gently on her shoulder as he watched her with soft blue eyes. Without thinking she threw her arms around his neck and buried her face into his shoulder. “Hey. It’s okay. It’s okay.” He whispered. “We’re all scared.”

“I don’t even know my last name.” she sobbed. He sighed heavily.

“Well, I’m Patrick, Patrick Kane is that means anything to you.” He breathed. “And it’s going to be okay.” He added.