Trying My Luck.

Five.

I collapsed on the couch and Luke walked in. I tensed up and found the seam on the blanket that draped the couch. Chris stood in front of me.
"So this is the guy?" Luke spat at Tom.
"No, Luke, he has a girlfriend. He took me to eat. That's it. It shouldn't matter to you anyway." I growled.
"Well, it does."
"Why?" Tom asked.
He glared at Tom, "She is the only girl that ever meant anything to me." he yelled.
"Had a funny way of showing it." Chris interrupted.
I felt like screaming, my body acted before my mind. I was on top of Luke beating his face in. Chris' arms grabbed me and pulled me back. I jerked out of his grip and went to my room. He deserved it after the countless times he touched me like that. I screamed and fell on my bed. Tom came in and stood in the doorway.
"What?" I hissed.
He came over and wiped my lip with his shirt. "He must have accidentally hit you."
I scoffed, "Always accidents."
He gaped at me and pulled me into a hug. I cried quietly, and he rubbed my back. His scent was soothing. I looked up at him and smiled, and thanked him. He nodded and pushed my hair out of my face. Chris came to check on me.
"You are coming back to California with us." He demanded. "That freak won't hurt you again Tanlor. Stick and stones make break your bones but words will not. But that fucker will and I'm not going to be 1,000 miles away when it does."
I nodded and told him I'd go. The news crews filed out and I went to the garden and got veggies to make supper. Green beans, fried squash, potatoes, onions, and I thawed some chicken. Chris chopped the onions and broke the beans. I sliced squash and baked potatoes, I was grilling the chicken. Tom watched me contently from the living room. I smiled to myself and continued slicing.
I sat the table and placed the food out for everyone, I took a seat and invited them to the table.
"When are you heading back, I assume Andrea is freaking out." I stammered, addressing Tom.
"I don't think her and I are going to last through the week, she is too worried about the media. And leaving, I go back to Europe in four days." he gulped.
I scrapped my food around in the silence. I really liked Tom but I couldn't say anything. We ate th rest of supper in silence. Tom offered to clean up and I went to the barn to check my animals. Luna neighed as I entered the barn. I told her that I missed her too, nuzzling her nose. I went and got a saddle and strapped to her. I opened the front and back gates to let my other horse out and I jumped up on Luna and took off. I rode hard and fast, the wind crashing on my face, my mind clearing of every little worry.
::Tom's POV::
I cleared the table with Chris and loaded the dishwasher. I asked him about her history with that Luke guy. I found out some things I wish I hadn't known, I looked out the window and saw her racing up through the hills. Rape, abuse, and not only from him but his buddies. I asked about the seams. He said it was kept her calm, if she felt threatened or uncomfortable she would do that.
"This isn't the sister I grew up with Tom. He ruined her, she hasn't ever been the same." he told choking up.
"What was she like?" I piped.
He smiled as he remembered, "She was bright, fun, outgoing, and most of all filled with love." he paused. "She moved out here after she turned 20 she met him when she was 24, they have only been apart for about a half a year. And she will be 27 in four days."
I frowned at the thought of saying goodbye to her, I looked out the window again and she was walking towards the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry so short! Leave feedback and I am working on six now!
Enjoy XOXO