What Do I Stand For?

PROLOUGE

"I'm going," he croaked, avoiding looking at me. To be truthful, I felt guilty for blaming him for everything and neglecting him, but he could take care of himself. And I had no one else to blame.

"O-okay," I stuttered awkwardly. "Take care. And.. and... do it for America." I stood up, hugged him, and smelt the musky, woody smell he got after taking care of the horses.

"I'll take care of them, you know. Bonnie and the rest." I smiled. My father loved his horses. I guess they were his only friends after my mother died.

"Thank you." he said simply. "Take care of yourself, Minnie. I-I better go now.." He kissed my cheek and stumbled away, not knowing it would be the last time he would see my face.

*****

The dingy room stunk of hay, damp wood and fresh bread. The smells of my childhood, and I couldn't take it.

"Why are we here, Char?" I said angrily. The skirt of my dress was trailing on the dirty floor, and mud would be hard to get out. Charlie sat me on a hay bale and pulled my blond hair behind my ear.

"I'm going, Minnie. I've joined the army and I have to go.. tonight," Charlie whispered. His chocolatey-brown hair blew in the breeze. I stood up and turned on my heel, putting my back to Charlie, hoping he couldn't see my tears.

"You could have told me!" I sobbed, gritting my teeth. "Given me a warning, at least!"

"Haven't you heard, Minnie? It's been all over the papers, on the radio, everyone's been talking about it!" Charlie growled, trying to keep his calm.

"Well, you know I've been busy around the house. Actually, no, correction our house! What happened Charlie?" I raged. "What happened to our plan? To have a family, to live life like there's no tomorrow? What happened, Charlie? What happened to us?"

"But our country is in need, Minnie," Charlie whispered. "And I.. I will always love you. You know that!" Charlie kissed me, making the room a lot warmer.

"Take care Charlie," I smiled, tears rolling down my face. "Remember that Charlie Scott doesn't go down without a fight." I smiled, not knowing that would be the last time I would love him.