What Do I Stand For?

CHAPTER ONE

A soft, slow rumble was cast over all the neighbourhood. Aunt Bertha stared at me with a sympathetic look. She knew how much I loved Charlie. The envelope in my hand made my heart beat in a slow, dull movement and my tongue go dry and stiff.

Before I knew it, I started running. It was unladylike, I know, but I just hitched up my skirts and ran. My boots were a few sizes too small and my hair too long, but I ran. To where, I didn't know. My heart had overcome my brain, and then I suddenly realised where I was running, to the paddock where the horses roamed. Bonnie, Anthony and Ross galloped to me, recognising my face. I sat myself on a tree stump and the horses soon walked away, thinking I was no fun.

I opened the seal and read the letter..

Mrs. Wilhelmina Scott

We are sorry to inform you that..

I couldn't read anymore. My eyes blurred, my ears started to ring and my hands turned boiling hot, even in the middle of the winter. It was all the same, your *insert way to be connected*, *insert name* has died in the field by *insert way of dying*. I urged myself to move on and read the letter.

He had been killed. Murdered, more like.

'He' being Edwin Thomas.

My father.