Memories

Chapter 1

For thirteen years, I never saw you bleed.
Not when you saved me from a rogue flying baseball.
Not when the beakers in science class shattered.
Not even when we had a blood drive.
I still don't know how you managed that. We were stationed right next to each other.

Your life essence was always hidden from me, leaving me never to worry. All I saw was a facade of a stupid smile dressed with a hand-me-down t-shirt and laceless tan Converse shoes. So seeing those same shoes soaked with a pool of life, seeing that smile, those life-less eyes, everything swimming in the pool, it felt so alien. Every part of life was an adventure to you, death just seemed like another stage, one that didn't need to be touched yet but still remained in the distance. Every adventure had to run it's time, I guess. Mine happened to end three years ago.

When the following day rolled around, I found myself nearly forgetting about the events of the previous night. I kept feeling that I should have been saddened to the death of an old friend, but the other students around me seemed to be mourning enough as is. It was so foreign to think just how quiet such a large school like mine could be after one tragic event. The large halls and classrooms of chatty children and adults remained a constant low tone. I could even hear the chapel bells all the way in the library.

Murmurs and rumors quickly spread, but were never escalated like when the prom king and queen were caught having sex in the old band room hallway. Children who didn't even know who died were caught praying that the investigation would go smoothly. Yet, there was I, dressed in our uniform without an ounce of black, wavy hair clipped back, and reading a book alone in the library. I was the only one who didn't change her routines. This nagging feeling loomed over me asking what was wrong with me. It kept telling me that I should have been like everyone else, especially with the background I had with the deceased, but my fingers kept flipping away at today's chapter readings.

I had been at this school facility ever since I started the educational system at a glorious age of six. Not many students have remained at the school as long as I had, and not many wanted out as much as I did. I had seen faces come and go over the years, my own parent's faces seemed foreign to me. Back then, it was just me and him. Two little kids ready to take on the great mysteries of the facility and ponder why it held the name “Bryne”. Bryne International Preparatory School.

I wish that I could remember more of our child hood in this place. I remembered being happy and finding everything odd and secret about the giant walls and pillars that kept the four story tall building from caving in. Though, just like the lingering weather outside the library windows, everything over time became foggy. Faces of family were replaced by algorithms and adventures were tied down by essays. Thankfully, I did have some friends, though all were currently in class right now. I was alone in the warm yellow lit library. Alone with my books and my thoughts.

“I wish it would just rain already. The overcast skies and fog just make this place seam creepier than it usually is.”

I shift in my seat, placing my chin in the palm of my hand. My eyes slowly scroll towards the windows on my left hand side. Perfectly cut bushes outlined the outside of the building and can be seen right under the long windows. Everything about the architecture liked to flaunt that this was a large building. I felt so tiny and cold sitting next to such a large window surrounded by larger book cases that lined the floor.

“Yeah,” I responded watching the transparent white color sit across the land. The beautiful oak trees beyond the grass even looked menacing. I tugged at my sweater feeling the cold feeling seep into the room.

“Do you remember when we thought that the head master planted those to keep monsters out?”

“Funny, I always thought that they were meant to keep us in.”

It was silent for a moment before a small chuckle filled my ears, “you have always been such a downer, Elena.”

The drowsy feeling that loomed over me instantly disappeared. I turned my head to defend myself when I found an empty table. The square hard wood table was the same ever since I came there. My books hadn't moved, and no chair had been pulled out to be sat in. I was alone.

Though... I could have sworn that I heard Andrew talking to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspired by a dream I had the other night where I woke up crying, I just had to write this down.

I plan for this to be a tragedy. Never wrote one before, but looking forward to writing it.

So far, writing for "The Lotus Murder" vs this, I can feel the differences between the stories already. Both deal with murder (I just need to update the other to get to the murder) but both deal deal with completely different themes.

Hope you like this!

-Alex

PS: If someone wants to make a better layout for the tragedy, please do! I'm terrible at them...