Status: Work-In-Progress (Being updated)

Hold on 'Till May

Hold on 'Till May - Chapter 2

Vic had to stay home the next day. He didn't mind. He was worried about Kellin, though...

Kellin went into school, but was extremely uncomfortable. He couldn't stop thinking about the previous night... He got beat up by someone new at lunch that day. Beau had out if school detention. He figured this was one of his friends. He went home and did his usual routine of homework and dinner. He didn't speak one word to anybody that day. Just his own mind.

The next day, Vic was back. If anything, he looked well rested.

Kellin didn't sleep at home. He was afraid that if he did, bad things would happen again... He looked horrible. And the black eye from Jared the day before was no help. Mrs. Johnston stopped him after social studies to talk, but he pushed past her and went to English.

At lunch, Vic noticed Kellin's black eye. He left his group for a minute to go talk to Kellin.
He sat down in front of him with a smile.
"Hi."
Kellin looked up at Vic, then down at his food. He felt bad, but he never talked.
Vic held his hand out.
"I'm Vic."
Kellin looked at Vic's hand for a long minute, then shook it and nodded.
"So... I saw you were sitting by yourself, do you wanna come sit with me?"
Kellin looked up at Vic and shook his head. He didn't want Vic inviting him to go sit because he felt bad. Kellin was the new freak, he expected this.
"Are you sure?" He asked. "It can't be fun all by yourself."
Kellin sighed and stood up. Vic had a point. It was worth a try...
Vic smiled and walked back over to his table. It housed about 10 people, and there was always room for one more.
Kellin awkwardly sat down silently.
'They’re going to think I'm a freak...'
"What's your name?" He asked Kellin quietly.
Kellin looked at him but didn't say anything.
'Do they not know I don't talk yet?'
Vic blinked.
'Is he mute or something?'
Kellin took a piece of paper out of his notebook and wrote his name on it.
'Kellin Quinn.'
Vic nodded with a grin.
"Hey, you guys, this is Kellin. Kellin Quinn," He announced.
Everyone looked up and smiled. Anyone who was friends with Vic was pretty sociable. They waved and said 'hi', then went back to their conversations. Kellin smiled a little. Vic seemed like a good guy. He smiled at Vic and nodded.
"So, Kellin, how's it going?" He started a casual conversation. Kellin didn't say anything. He just shrugged. It wasn't going well, but he wouldn't get into that. Even if he could talk he wouldn't. Vic nodded.
"So... Um... Do you play any instruments?"
Kellin shook his head no, force of habit. But then quickly nodded, and moved his fingers as if he was playing a piano or keyboard.
"Oh, you play the piano?" Vic guessed. He wasn't too sure.
Kellin nodded. It was the only instrument he can play.
"That's cool," Vic nodded. "I play guitar. My brother plays the drums."
Kellin nodded with a smile.
'That's cool.'
"So where'd you move from?" Vic was a friendly person.
Kellin looked around. Then he picked up his pen and wrote 'Kings Park.' It was only a town away. He just needed to get out of his old school district.
"Really? I've been there a few times. It's nice." He smiled.
'Yeah, so nice...' Kellin thought sarcastically. But he nodded for conversation's sake.
"Why'd you move?"
Kellin took the pen again, writing 'People.' He didn't want to go into detail...
"Oh," Vic frowned. "I get it. It's cool here, I promise. Beau's just an asshole."
Kellin smiled a little and nodded. It seemed okay here.

A week later, Vic and his friends were going out. He wasn't grounded anymore. At school, he invited Kellin to come. Kellin accepted the invite. He wouldn't have to go home until late. And the less time he spent at home, the happier he was. He was just nervous.

Vic and Kellin walked home from school to Vic's house. Mike had to stay late for something, Vic wasn't too sure what. Kellin wasn't sure what they were doing or where they were going, but he didn't really care.

Vic led Kellin into his bedroom once they were home.
"We won't be going out until Mike gets back, so I thought we could just hang out," He smiled. Kellin smiled and nodded. This seemed cool. Better than being alone on a Friday.
Vic sat down at his desk and looked over to Kellin.
"So... Whatcha wanna do?"
Kellin shrugged. He wasn't sure what to do, honestly. Vic nodded.
"Okay..." He paused for a minute. "Can I ask you something?" Kellin nodded.
"Why don't you talk?" He wasn't sure if it was selective mutism or not.
Kellin looked down. He hadn't talked since he was 7. 10 years ago. He knew why, but nobody else did. So he just shrugged at Vic. He didn't want to explain that his father leaving literally ruined his life. But Vic nodded again.
"So... You're mute?"
Kellin shrugged. He chose not to talk.
"No...?"
Vic was confused.
Kellin slid down the wall he was leaning against and shook his head again. He pointed to the stack of paper for a piece. Vic took a couple sheets of paper and a pencil and handed it to Kellin. Then he sat down across from him.
Kellin sighed and began writing.
'I haven't talked since I was 7. I wasn't born mute, it was just that one night I decided not to talk anymore.' He handed the paper back to Vic.
Vic read the paper and nodded.
"Okay..."
He guessed something must have happened to him.
'I'm sorry I'm weird. But I'd rather not explain.' He handed that to Vic.
Vic shook his head.
"You're not weird. You're unique."
He smiled and walked over to his closet.
Kellin smiled. That was a relief, if he meant that.

Vic dug around for a different hat.
"Do you wanna borrow a hat?" He found a classier hat, that he thought would look good on Kellin... He put on his usual snap back and faced Kellin. Kellin smiled and nodded. He'd try a hat, why not?
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 2/? of Hold on Till May!
I'm sorry about the hold up, there were some issues and computer/flash-drive malfunctions. But all is good now! Marissa should be posting the next chapter or two. If you haven't already noticed, this fic has two authors, myself and my lovely friend Marissa. As always, enjoy! There'll be more to come soon!