Status: On going

The Beauty of the Written Word

Chapter 1- Introductions

Amelia tapped her fingers on her danity hands in an attempt to calm her nerves as she waited for the elevator to arrive at her needed floor.She was never good at first introductions and today she was facing 6 of them.Eventually the finger tapping wasn't enough as she began tapping her small kitten heels against the metal floor.Despite her small height of 5'4 heels made her feel uncomfortable ,heck office wear was never her first choice but it came with the job .When she started to fiddle with her blouse that's when she forced them down by her sides ,scolding herself in her head."Come on Amelia they're profilers and so are you if you keep doing that you're practically handing them your nervous ticks on a plate".Amelia had always been very introverted from a young age.She found it hard around large social groups and was more comfortable curling up and reading a book than going out to big parties which never made her the favorite in school or college.

The small 'ding' noise broke Amelia out of her thoughts and back to reality.Fixing her hair she walked as calmly as she could up to the glass doors.Once she was one the other side her blue eyes flickered across the room taking in some of the characters the laid before her.A muscular dark man lounged back in his chair smiling as he talked with a women with red hair and loud clothing accessories.Body language would suggest they were flirting but it seemed harmless almost friendly.Next was the two men talking in the doorway of one of the larger offices ,the taller man had a stern expression on his face and deep frown lines on his forehead while the other was a little shorter with a beard and honestly looked like a stereotypical mafia boss.Then ,looking towards the break area,someone definitely caught her eye.He was fairly tall to start ,his short brown hair had a slight curl in its style and his lips tinted a light pink.Jolting back from his cup ,most likely burning his hand on the steaming hot coffee, the unknown character shook his hand and brought it up to his mouth hearing his hiss in pain from afar.

"Hi are you Amelia"A voice called out snapping her out of her observant state.A blonde petite women strode towards her and held out her hand which Amelia shook lightly
"Yes you're Jennifer Jareau I'm assuming"She smiled back putting on her brave face
"Please call me JJ ,come on I'll introduce you to the rest of the team"JJ smiled warmly as she followed her in the direction of the break area and also were the mysterious man was.All the rest of the people she noticed before hand seemed to be now aware of her presence and made their way over.
"Hi I'm agent Derek Morgon and this is our beautiful tech kitten Penelope Garcia"The tall dark man smiled as he walked over with the red headed women.
"Very smooth dark chocolate"Garcia smiled and he simply gave a wink in reply
"This is our Unit chief Aaron Hotchner and also agent David Rossi"JJ pointed out as the stern man and his bearded friend made his way over
"Don't make it habit of calling us agent ,we go by second names typically around here"Rossi assured her
"Well if you don't mind age-I mean Rossi I'd prefer if you'd use my first name"Amelia smiled awkwardly and Rossi simply nodded
"Welcome to the team Amelia out of the candidates I was shown you made quite an impression"Hotch ,the sterner character, praised her but showed very little facial expression wise
"Thank you sir ,that means alot to me"she nodded feeling pride well in her heart
"And less we forget our very own genius Dr. Spencer Reid"JJ said as she patted the mystery mans shoulder making her way to the coffee pot as he gave a small shy wave.
"Nice to meet you"Amelia smiled but she played with her fingers unable to contain her nerves ,dismissing it by returning his small wave.She gathered he disliked shaking hands and didn't blame him for it ,not everyone on the planet has clean hands.
"So tell us a little something about yourself"Derek asked siting down in one of the many spinning desk chairs placed around an oval table.JJ and Hotch walked off discussing cases ,they already new about Amelia from her files and they were needed else were so they excuse from the table wasn't the least bit rude.
"Well I-I wouldn't know were to start"She stumbled feeling rather awkward siting down in one of the chairs"Lets see I grew up in Las Vegas with my mum and dad ,I have one older brother who lives with his wife in new york.Umm I love to read ,big fan of literature , and I do write a little in my spare time actually never published anything though.My reason for joining the BAU is simply because I want to help people and make the world a little better y'know".
"If you don't mind me saying you have a slight British tint in your accent"Garcia pointed out
"Oh yea I visited my dads side of the family a lot in London growing and I picked up a few things over there"Amelia explained
"Oh my god we have to talk about London some time ,I've always wanted to go there"She squealed
"Of course I'd love that"
"Las vegas and a book worm ,two things you have in common with our little genius over there"Rossi pointed out
"You grew up in las vegas "Amelia asked Reid who sat with his legs crossed awkwardly in his chair.She noticed his socks didn't match ,one a deep purple with an orange diamond pattern and one plain green. Suppressing a smile she looked back at the doctor as he spoke ,clearing his throat first
"Yes I did I'm also banned from several of their casinos "He spoke one corner of his mouth turning up as he said so
"Why banned"
"Card counting"The entire team said in sync letting out a small laugh and so did Amelia
"I-if you don't mind me asking what kind of books do you read"he asked cautiously almost scared to speak
"I read fiction every now again but I'm a huge fan of classics like the Sherlock Holmes story's or classic horrors like Dracula "She blushed ,this is the side of her people usually find weird and freaky but Reid's face light up with delight
"Really I love classics !"He exclaimed and a huge weight lifted of Amelia's chest "Did you know As a joke, Arthur Conan Doyle once sent five letters to five friends that read, 'We are discovered, flee immediately', to see what they would do. One of them disappeared and Conan Doyle never saw him again". Reid suddenly became aware of that annoying habit of his to blurt out random facts in which usually someone tells him to shut up by now.He couldn't help it ,Reid never got on with people this quickly let alone a girl.
"Seriously oh my god I would have killed to have seen their faces"Amelia laughed ,the sound easing Spencer's anxiety.
"Great now there two nerds on this team ,whats next star trek"Derek sighed but he was smiling
"No way do you watch star trek"Amelia blurted out
"Yea of course I do !"
"Oh for gods sake"Derek muttered and Garcia nudged him playfully.The group talked more for a little while ,Amelia promised she'd give Morgan a run for his money on the basketball court and discussed London for a little while with a eager Garcia,the whole time she felt like she could really get along perfectly with the others especially Spencer.He was practically her opposite also he seemed pretty reserved and shy similar to how she was around new people.

"Sorry to interrupt but Amelia come with me too my office we'll quickly just glance over how things work around here .I'm sure you already know but it's just in case, then I'll show you your desk"JJ said and Amelia nodded in return.Giving a quick wave to the rest of the team she followed contently behind.
"I like her ,maybe a background che-"Garcia wondered out loud but then Derek stopped her
"Baby girl no meddling I'm putting my foot down"Derek scolded
"She doesn't seem to be hiding anything"Spencer pointed out taking a sip of his coffee
"Of course lover boys going to take her side"Garcia grumbled walking away "Ciao my loves".Spencer frowned at Garcia and then looked to Derek for answers but he smiled and shook his head in return
"Come on kid dont act like we didn't notice that"Derek laughed
"What"
"You and Amelia perfect match made in nerd heaven"He teased
"No we're not"Spencer blurted out feeling his cheeks warm up .He'd be lying if he said he didn't kinda of like her ,he barely knew her but the part he's seen was perfect.It was very hard for Spencer to find a girl who liked the same things as him and was genuinely interested in the little facts he knows and shares with the team.Also Amelia was very pretty ,he couldn't help but the steal small glances at her earlier. Long auburn hair fell down past her shoulders ,she'd occasionally adjust her full fringe when it fell in front of her pale blue eyes and skin like perfect porcelain .Her short height was adorable to him as he tried to suppress a slight smile at the fact she probably couldn't reach most top shelves.He needed to get to know her a little more but there was definite concrete feelings there.
"whatever you say pretty boy ,just remember to invite me to the wedding"Derek smirked and moved back over to his desk.Returning back to his own desk to Spencer focused back on his work until someone sat down on the desk opposite him.Looking up he smiled as Amelia's eyes meet his own.Mirroring his grin she felt small amount of butterflies in her tummy."Great how am I going to focus with someone this cute sat directly in front of me"She thought.
"We've got a case"Hotch called out across the room .Everyone got up out of their seat and walked across the raised walkway in to the conference room.Taking there seats around a round table ,Amelia chose the seat between Reid and JJ while Garcia stood up in front of a screen.
"My knights of the round table Bend, Oregon calls. Two women were both killed in hit and runs .The ME reports suggests it was most likely a large vehicle due to the marks left by a raised bumper"Garcia explained as the photos appeared on the screen of two women coupled with their crime scenes
"Garcia are we sure these are connected"Rossi asking feeling slightly skeptical
"Both of the victims were back over after the initial hit"She explained
"That's some serious road rage"Hotch noted
"Y'know the unsub could be compensating for a lack of power, or even impotency.The big car is phallic ,he could be under compensating or over compensating ."Reid theorized out loud
"That almost reads like a rape profile ,so what are we looking at vehicular rape"Amelia added
"Possibly Morgan and I will go to the crime scene ,JJ and Rossi you talk to the victims families and Amelia and Reid I want you at the station working on the profile ,wheels up in 30"Hotch instructed.
♠ ♠ ♠
my first ever chapter TADA. I'm open to criticism as long as you're not really rude.apologies for poor grammar and spelling I'm a fast typer :/.
I'm going to be using cases they create in the show however please do not associate them with what season they are used in because i'll just be picking at random.Also let me know if you want me to actually write about the case as the team works on it or if you just want me to jump to the plane ride home and explain it in summary then.