Status: Comment and recommend, please!

I'm Not a Hero

Chapter One

I took another sip of my drink before throwing it into the trash can next to the building. Then, I walked into the gas station, my stomach growling for a bag of chips. I picked up a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and began to walk to the cashier dude. I felt a colliding sensation and then an ice-cold liquid went all over my chest. I gasped at the sudden chill.

“Oh my! I’m so sorry, ma’am! I-I-“A pre-teen boy stuttered. He had fear in his eyes, like he thought I was going to yell, or maybe even hit him. Instead, I smiled at him.

“It’s OK. I should’ve been paying attention. Not a big deal.” The boy’s mother ushered him over to her, smiling apologetically. I smiled back at her and turned to go to the bathroom. Hopefully this would come out of my sweater. It was one of my favorites. I took my sweater off and looked at myself in the mirror. The same fire-truck red haired girl stared back at me. I took a paper towel and started to wipe the Slushy off. I heard a small sob. I jerked my head around, looking for the culprit in this not-so-pristine bathroom. I saw a tiny pair of feet sticking out from the door of the stall. Curious, I pushed open the door. What I found-well, it surprised the hell out of me.

There, sobbing next to a toilet was a little girl of about 5 or 6.

“Hey, sweetheart, are you okay? Where are your mommy and daddy?”I asked, stepping closer to her.

“D-d-don’t know!” She cried out loudly. Then, a river of tears fell from her eyes. It broke my heart to see her cry. She was just a child, and children don’t deserve to be sad. That shouldn’t happen. So, my mothering instincts kicking in, I sat down and put her on my lap and cradled her head in my shoulder. I tried to calm her down, whispering soothingly things like, ‘Shh’ and ‘It’s gonna be okay, sweetheart’. When that didn’t work, I began to sing a lullaby my mom sang to me when I was a baby.

[i/]Go to sleep
Little babe
Dawn is drawing near

Close your eyes
Sleepy babe
Shed not a tear

In the morning when you wake
I will be right here

Go to sleep
Little babe
Dawn is drawing near[/]

When I was done singing, the tiny girl had fallen asleep on my shoulder. I picked her and myself off of the floor and walked out of the bathroom. With the girl resting on my hip, I asked the attendant if he would call the police for me, as my hands were full. After explaining why, he agreed to call them. I stood outside, waiting for an officer to come. Finally, after ten minutes, a cruiser pulled up in the parking lot.

“Hello, ma’am. I’m here about the child?”A tall man with a buzz cut came up to me. I nodded and explained what happened to him. “Hmm, I see. Well, we’re going to have to go down to the station to get this settled and try to find her parents. Follow me, OK?”

“Of course, officer.”I got into my car after putting the girl into the backseat and buckling her. I followed the officer all the way to the police station. Upon my arrival, another cop took the girl to lie down. I was also met with a million questions. Who was I? What was I doing at the gas station? Did I know the little girl? Did she say anything to me? I answered all of their questions truthfully. My name was Andromeda Ophelia Bridges. I wanted a bag of chips. No. Yes, she said she didn’t know where her parents were.

I sat there for hours. I had to call off for my job, but that little girl was so much more important than selling CD’s to teenagers. She was way more important. I was worried about her, but the police kept assuring me that she would be fine. As of now, she was still sleeping in the Captain’s office. I snapped out of my trance as Officer Viktors, the guy who came to the gas station, walked up to me.

“Ms. Bridges, we are unable to find out who the little girl is or who her parents are. She will have to be put in a foster home for the night, maybe for a while. At least until we find her parents.” He paused and then moved on, “She has woken up and would like to see you. If you will, follow me.”

I got up out of my chair and followed him down the hall. He knocked on a door and a ‘Come in’ followed suit. We walked into the room and I saw the brown haired, blue eyed little girl. She smiled at me.

“Hello, sweetie. My name’s Andy. Do you know yours?” I asked the small girl. She shook her head. I smiled at her childish head movement. “Well, let’s make you up one then! Is there anything you like?”

“I like….Dora the Explorer!”She grinned.

“Well, then how about Pandora, Dora for short?” I asked, smiling widely.

“Yay!!!”She flung her tiny arms around my neck. I hugged her back. This little girl was…amazing. I wish I could spend more time with her, but she has to go to a foster home. That’s when the craziest idea ever popped into my mind.

“Captain, could I talk to you privately for a minute?”I then looked to Pandora, “I’ll be right back, Dora.”

The captain and I walked out into the hall. I then told him my idea.”No. You’re barely of age. I-“

“Sir, you’ve seen my file. I’m a good person. All A’s. I have a nice job, I can provide for her. Plus, she’s already attached to me. Just until you find her parents, please?” I pleaded with the balding man. When he didn’t seem to be giving in, I gave him my famous puppy-dog face.

“Alright! Just stop that damn cutesy face!”I smiled. No one can resist my puppy-dog face. I walked back into his office.

“Hey, Dora, do you want to come to stay with me?” She nodded.”Great! We’ll leave here shortly, OK?”

“Here’s my card, Ms. Bridges. If anything and I mean anything at all happens, call this number. Any time, day or night.” Captain Willus handed me his card and told me I could go. I picked Dora up and walked to my car. I looked at the backseat and noticed something. No car seat. I would have to go get that. And some food. And clothes. We’ll go shopping. And then go get some breakfast.

“Would you like to go shopping and then get some food, Dora?” I looked in the rear-view mirror and saw her nod.

“Well, let’s get going then!”
♠ ♠ ♠
How do ya' like it so far?
~Val Lynn