Status: Comment and recommend, please!

I'm Not a Hero

Chapter Five

Andy sat down next to Dora and made sandcastles with her. Apparently, he was as skilled as me because his sandcastle looked pretty crappy. Dora’s, though, was pretty flipping cool. I wondered how a kid that age could make a sandcastle that was that beautiful.

“That’s beautiful, Dora.” I smiled at her.

She giggled, “I know. His sandcastle sucks. You should be King and Queen of Sucky Sandcastles.”

“What?! My sandcastle is beautiful! Yours is… yours is…” Andy tried to defend his horrid sandcastle, but couldn't.

“Mine’s wonderful. Isn’t it, Mommy?” Dora looked up at me with her puppy dog eyes, almost begging me to say yes.

“Of course, sweetie. Andy’s just jealous that he doesn't have as much skill as you.”

Dora stuck her tongue out at him. He stuck out his tongue, too. Goodness, Andy was kind of childish. It was kind of cute, just like his dashing blue eyes. Wait, no, I can’t think of him like that. I can’t get into a relationship with a guy I’d met half an hour ago.

“Dora, let’s clean up now, OK?” Dora immediately started to pick up her sandcastle making buckets.

“So, how old is she?” Andy asked once she started cleaning up.

“I have no idea. I sort of found her a couple days ago and she had no memory. I’m just taking care of her until the police find her parents.” I explained to him.

“So you’re her hero, then?”
“No, I’m not a hero." I answered quickly.

“Oh, ok then. Sorry. Do you guys want to go get ice cream? My treat.”

“Yes!” Dora screamed and jumped up to hug him. Her tiny hands wrapped around his waist. “Let’s go, Mommy!”

“We've got to tell the other before we leave, sweetie.” I was going to let her get an ice-cream. She’d been good all day (except for insulting my sandcastle- making skills). We walked up to the rest of the group. Jade was talking intently to Ashley and both were blushing a scarlet color. Sammi and Jinxx were talking to CC and Jake.

“Hey, guys, we’re going to go get ice-cream. Does anyone else want to come along?” I asked politely. CC shot off the ground.

“I do- Er, that’s what I’ll say when I get married! But, nope!” CC immediately sat back down.

“No, I do believe we’re alright. Have fun!” Sammi winked at us. I blushed a shade of red deeper than what Jade and Ashley had on just a minute ago. Of course she already shipped us. I did,too. Wait, what? No I didn’t! He was simply a friend that I had just met minutes ago. I barely knew him. But I had been following his band for a couple of years. I seriously needed to stop arguing with myself over this. It was obvious I did not like him. But- No, shut up! I do not like him!

“Alright, then. We’ll be back in a little bit! Buh-bye!” I called as Andy, Dora, and I walked down the beach to the ice-cream place.

“What’s that?” Dora pointed to a tattoo on Andy’s arm.

“It’s a tattoo of Batman. Aren't they cool?”

“They’re pretty. Mommy, do you have any?” She tugged on my arm.

“I do, Sweetie.” I answered softly. I had a tattoo on my thigh, covering up some things I didn't want anyone to know about.

“Where is it? Can I see it?” She pleaded, her lower lip quivering beneath her upper.

“I’m sorry, Sweetie. Not right now, okay? Maybe later.” I saw a hint of curiosity in Andy’s eyes and I was worried he would question it. However, we walked into the ice-cream shop before he could say anything.

“Hello! Welcome to Freezing Fred’s Ice Cream Parlor, what can I get you?” The cheery cashier asked.

“Chocolate? With sprinkles?” Dora asked, again with her pleading eyes.

“Of course, Sweetie.” I ordered hers and mine before stepping aside to let Andy order. After we’d all ordered, Andy paid and we got our ice-cream. We sat down at a table inside the parlor, so our ice-cream wouldn't melt as soon as it would if we were outside.

“It’s true! Mommy has a shirt with your face on it.” Dora admitted to Andy. I blushed and hung my head. Gosh, I hope he doesn't think any differently of me for that.

“Really? She does?” Andy chuckled as Dora nodded satisfactorily. “Well, that’s good. ‘Cause I would've been embarrassed if I had one of her and she didn't have one of me.”

“You seriously have a shirt with me on it?” I asked with a hint of hopefulness in my voice. I really did not want to sound like a creep.

“Yup, I bought it from Sammi. Y’know the one with the black background and white text? Yeah, that’s the one I have.” He explained

“That’s really cool.” I smiled so wide, I thought my mouth was going to fall off.