All Alright

A Good Reason To Go

The deserts of Phoenix, Arizona. That's what my throat felt like. Jamie stared straight into my eyes, through my head and into my brain. She was thinking. She didn't look very happy, either. I sighed, turned around and tried to avoid contact with her. My eyes shut close and I remembered the moment that started the whole ordeal.

We were having a party. Some music was playing. Loud and by some indie pop band that were, to be honest, terrible. Some random had put the CD in the slot and everyone was dancing to it. Everyone, that is, apart from Jamie, Me and Fletcher Fore. Otherwise known as Jamie, Darby and that creepy-o.

"I'm getting in," I said, pacing toward the make-shift dance floor, which was really our living room. "You coming, wuss?" Jamie gave me a grin and shook her head, ever the goody-two-shoes. I started (pathetically) dancing, until I realised the space was too small, the music too awful and the hipsters too overpowering. I made my way into the kitchen, and sat near Fletcher.

"You tired of these hipsters cramping our style?" I laughed as Fletcher drank from his bottle.

"Yeah," he said a little sadly. "And this stupid music. Everything, really." I was about to reach for another golden bottle until Fletcher grabbed my hand, and gripped onto it tight.

"Oh, don't take that. Some douche spiked it," I gave him a puzzled look and he said with a nod, "Water, disguised in a bottle. Ya know, the douche who spiked it brought me here. Against my will." Everyone thought he was a creep, some guy that reverted to alcohol in a time of need, but I knew this wasn't true. He was just lonely and sad. University did that to people.

"Ah, makes sense," I replied, taking a glass and filling it with tap water.

"You know that's dirty water, right?" He said, cautiously.

"A little glass won't hurt. And where exactly did you get your water?" I asked with a smile.

"Touché," he laughed. We sat for approximately half an hour, looking down and drinking, only getting up to refill. People started to filter out of the house, leaving most of their stuff behind. Fletcher suddenly looked up, and I looked around to see what he was staring at, when I realised what it was. My face. He sidled over to my side, met my eyes, and kissed me unexpectedly. I didn't expect it, then I remembered who he was. And why we called him a creep.

"I-I'm sorry," I looked around, seeing everyone had left. "I need to go... To sleep. I'm sorry but this party is over." He stared at the ground, and said finally,

"Okay, yeah. I'm going to the casino. You comin'?" I noticed his face. He was hurt. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

"Uh, okay. Yes, yes, okay I will." I said, grabbing my jacket and making my way out.

"Finally, some fun. With you, which makes everything better." He smiles sweetly, making his way out.

That was the start of my addiction.

***
I heard a high pitched noise. Clapping? Clicking. Clicking of fingers. From Jamie.

"Darby, I need to help you. Please. If not me, then who?" She cooed. I appreciated her helping me, and I really did want it to end, but it really couldn't happen. Once you got in it was impossible to get in. It's a never ending hole, and you dig yourself deeper and deeper. The only way you get out if is someone drags you out, kicking and screaming. Most times people were afraid to do this. While she was a coward, she was not one to give up.

"Well," she said, noticing I hadn't replied. "I know a way to get you out."

"It won't work. Unless..." I thought for a moment. "Unless you drag me out."

"I won't have to do that." She said, with a smile. I knew my sister like the back of my hand, and this smile meant she had planned something. And when she planned something, it worked out. I smiled back at her at the thought of getting out of this deep, stinky, dirty hole.