Blood is Full of Empty Promises

Omen

Ayaka stepped out into the pouring rain and she got a sick feeling in her gut from the darkness of the clouds. She brushed it off and tried to remain positive. Gaara would come back to her. He was one of the five Kage afterall.

She had just finished her briefing with the Hokage. She didn't know much about the two Akatsuki members, aside from Hidan’s past, that held her captive, but she did know some useful information. Ayaka sighed and tried to wipe all of that from her mind. She just wanted to relax and not think of anything stressful, at least until Gaara returned. Even though it was raining, she decided to take a stroll through the village. She was already soaked anyways.

She looked all around the village and thought of Sunagakure, the place closest place to a home that she had. She'd decided to make it hers even though she'd only been there for a little over a week. The villagers had all warmed up to her and then there was Gaara. He was perfect. Ayaka smiled to herself and screaming children ran past her trying to find shelter from the rain.

Ayaka continued walking and came across a field. She noticed the pink-haired nurse standing by the trees watching the men in the field. They looked as if they were training or something, but Ayaka wasn't completely sure. The nurse just stood there watching in silence. Ayaka didn't take her to be the stalker type so she figured that the nurse was only worried about the three shinobi in the training field.

"I haven't seen you around before," a soft male voice commented and the rain above her head stopped. She looked up at the man. He held an umbrella over her head. He had black eyes and short black hair; he also had a somewhat creepy smile. "Are you from Sunagakure?"

Ayaka's eyes widened not sure how he came to that conclusion.

"Your headband. You're from the Sand village, yes?"

Ayaka nodded and rememebered that she had carved the symbol into her blank headband. "Yes, I'm Ayaka Iniyami from the sand village," she said and it sounded natural to her, almost as if she was from Sunagakure.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Sai," he replied with a big smile. "What are you doing out here in the rain?"

"I was just looking around the village. I'm waiting for someone to return from a mission," Ayaka answered and looked towards the gates of Konoha.

"But it's raining outside. You'll catch a cold."

Ayaka waved off his worry. "I'll be fine," she said and stepped out from under his umbrella. "I'll see you around, Sai." Ayaka turned away from Sai and took off towards the front gate.

She had seen enough of the village. Ayaka decided to wait at the gate. She stopped just before the entrance and leaned up against the gate guard's shack. It sheltered her a little from the rain, but it was better than nothing.

Hours went by before she saw someone approaching the gate. Ayaka stood up in suspense as she waiting for the person to come into view. She didn't even realize that she was holding her breath.

Gaara came into view and Ayaka exhaled; tears of joy settled in the corners of her eyes. Ayaka ran to him and embraced him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and squeezed her body close to his. "I was so worried."

"Everything's ok," Gaara replied and placed one hand on the small of her back and the other behind her head. He stroked her hair calming her nerves.

"Where are the others?" Ayaka asked and stepped back so she could see Gaara's face.

"They aren't too far behind. How are you? And why were you standing out in the rain?"

"I was waiting for you..."

"You're going to catch a cold. Let's get you changed," he said and grabbed her arm. He dragged her into the Hokage's palace. Tsunadae was sure to have something for Ayaka to wear until Gaara could go buy her something.

___

The morning sun hit Ayaka’s face causing her to toss and turn until eventually she gave up on trying to sleep. She opened her eyes and realized that his time, Gaara was gone. The last time they had slept in the same bed, she had been the one to leave before he could open his eyes. Now the tables have turned.

Ayaka’s heart skipped a beat at the thought of Gaara leaving her. She bit her lip to keep her emotions from taking over. Ayaka jumped out of bed and raced down the hall of the Hokage’s palace. Lady Tsunadae had kindly let them stay the night before they left for their journey back to Sunagakure.

She wasn’t sure where Gaara had gone. Surely, he wouldn’t have left to go back to the village. Her first thought was to check with the Hokage. They might have been discussing Gaara’s encounter with the Akatsuki. Sure enough, when Ayaka peeked into the Hokage’s study, she saw Gaara and the Hokage discussing something. Ayaka knocked lightly on the door letting them both know that she was present.

“Ayaka, you’re awake,” Gaara turned to her with a smile. The smile warmed her heart and she kindly returned it.
“Lady Tsunadae and I were just discussing how long we were planning to stay,” he added.

“And how long is that?” Ayaka asked stepping fully into the room. Lady Tsunadae then stood up.

“I’ll give you two some privacy. If anyone needs me, I’ll be on the balcony enjoying the view,” the Hokage replied before leaving the room.

“Ayaka,” Gaara said softly. He took her hands into his own and brought them up to his lips. He kissed them softly causing a variety of reds to flush across her face. “I want to stay longer.”

“Longer?” she asked almost completely out of it.

“Yesterday during the fight, one of the leaf shinobi fell the Akatsuki. His name was Asuma Sarutobi, the son of the third Hokage and sensei to Shikamaru Nara.”

Ayaka covered her mouth in shock. She remembered his face clearly. He had been in the rescue team that Gaara was with. “Which one killed him?” she asked calmly, but her hands were shaking. Deep down she knew the answer.

“Hidan,” he answered. Ayaka clenched her hands so tightly that her nails dug into her skin almost causing it to bleed.
“That’s another person’s life that Hidan had ruined. I have to help Nara avenge Asuma and I have to help you avenge your village.”

Ayaka looked up into his greenish eyes. “You would really do that for me?” she asked almost shocked that he would even suggest it.

“You don’t leave me much of a choice. If I don’t help you avenge your village then you’ll find some way to do it…some way to try and you might…” Gaara trailed off not sure he could finish his train of thought. It was too dark and just the thought of Ayaka’s death made blood thirst stir within him.
“I also owe the Hidden Leaf my life.”

Ayaka nodded and smiled. She pulled Gaara into her arms and hugged him tightly, not ever wanting to let go. “Thank you, Gaara-kun.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for being patient. I can't stop playing Harvest Moon.

Also I had a hard time deciding on whether or not to put in the Asuma vs Hidan fight, but then I decided against it. I didn't want to seem like I was stealing anything from the writer of Naruto, and I also wanted to leave it so that even though people know that Asuma died, they won't get the full story by reading this. It worked out perfectly ^__^

Comment, Recommend, Subscribe :D