Blood is Full of Empty Promises

Festival of Puppets

A week has passed since the Sand village was attacked by the Hidden Stone and Ayaka was now completely healed. She'd never stayed in one place for so long and this place really was something special to her. She never thought she'd be able to get close to anyone again, but Gaara had proved her wrong. He had weaseled his way past her barricades that she placed around her heart.

She knew in her gut, though, that she had to leave soon. A part of her was sad, but it was only a small part. The other part of her was eager to finish her journey. She wanted to be able to live out the rest of her life in comfort and not be haunted by the unknown. She just had to know why Hidan betrayed her...if he betrayed her.

What was she going to do if he hadn't? Would she stay with him? She tried not to wonder where that road would take her. He was with the Akatsuki now. Surely, he was up to no good and if so, then it was her duty to put him to rest.

"Aya-chan!" Yaoki yelled, bombarding into the room with Korobi.

Ayaka sighed. "Yes?"

"Gaara-kun wanted us to give this to you," he said and held out a wide brown box with a silk pink ribbon tied around it.

"Hurry! Open it!" said Korobi excitedly.

Ayaka looked at them with unease and finally took the box from Yaoki's hands.

"Oh the suspense is killing me!" Yaoki gushed and they both huddled close to get a look at what was inside the box.

Ayaka pulled at the ribbon and it came undone without a fuss. She carefully opened the box revealing a white silky dress. Korobi and Yaoki made "ooo" and "aaah" noises as she pulled the dress out of the box.

"What's this for?" she asked aloud.

"It must be for the festival tonight."

"Festival?" she asked and placed the dress onto the big king sized bed she'd been sleeping in.

"The Puppet Festival," Yaoki answered.

Korobi nodded. "The Puppet Festival is a once a year festival where all the puppet masters come to battle each other. There's a prize for whoever has the best puppet."

Yaoki nodded too. "Of course there's also yummy foods and amazing crafts."

"And don't forget the fireworks!" Korobi chimed in.

"Well, that sounds fun," Ayaka admitted. She was about the close the box when she noticed a letter inside. She decided she'd wait to read it until Thing 1 and Thing 2 were gone. She still felt their commentary was most annoying.

"Are you going to go?" they asked in unison.

"Sure, why not," she replied and smiled. They both high-fived each other in excitement.

"Gaara-kun will be so pleased!" Yaoki exclaimed.

"Uh-what's that I hear?" Ayaka asked and put her hand up to her ear. "I think I hear Gaara calling you."

"See ya later," they said and hurried out of the room. Ayaka exhaled in relief.

"Thank God," she muttered and looked into the box. She grabbed the letter and unrolled it to see what it said.

Gaara was personally asking her to join him at this festival. Ayaka wasn't sure if she liked the idea of everyone watching her walking around with the Kazekage. There was sure to be a lot of gossiping about them. Nevertheless, she would definitely go. It would be her farewell gift to him. She decided she'd leave in the morning.

Ayaka went into the bathroom to get ready for the festival. She was a little nervous about spending more time with Gaara. She really liked him and she'd never felt this way towards anyone, not even Hidan. Hidan had been only a brother to her. She loved him, but not in the romantic way. Gaara, on the other hand, was handsome and cool. His calm voice sent chills down her spine and his rare smile made her knees buckle.

She finished by braiding her blue-green hair to the side and tying it at the end with a small ribbon. The dress looked beautiful on her and she wondered how Gaara would react. Ayaka opened the bathroom door and looked in the box to see if he gave her some shoes as well. He did, and thank god they weren't heels.

Ayaka put the shoes on and then made her way to the entrance of Gaara's home. He'd said in the letter that he would meet her right outside the entrance.

Ayaka passed the guards and they bowed making her blush. She wasn't used to this kind of treatment, but she tried not to let it bother her or ruin her mood. Ayaka carefully walked down the steps and then looked up to meet Gaara's eyes.

Gaara's mouth opened slightly in awe of Ayaka's beauty. He wasn't sure what to say. He was stunned. "Thanks for the dress," she said, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

"You look beautiful," he replied and held out his hand. She put her hand in his and Gaara led her through the village and to the festival.

Decorations were hanging everywhere. Not a single person was in their homes; all of them were on the streets. They were either buying from the vendors and artists or they were the artists and vendors trying to sell their artwork and goods. Little kids laughed and played with their puppets that their parents probably bought them.

"This is so cool," she said and looked around in awe.

"I hate this festival," she heard Kankurro say behind her.

Gaara chuckled. "Never mind him. Kankurro is only mad that I won't let him enter the puppet tournament anymore."

"Why's that?" Ayaka asked him.

"Because he always wins and I never hear the end of it," Gaara answered and Kankurro glared at his little brother.

"You're just jealous," Kankurro mumbled and walked away in a huff.

Gaara and Ayaka both laughed and he led her to the arena where the puppet masters would duel. Of course, the Kazekage would get the best seat, but Ayaka got the second best seeing as she was his guest.

Temari walked into the arena with a microphone. She looked amazing. The blonde had on a turquoise kimono with her big fan at her side. “Ladies and Gentleman...Lord Kazekage...Guests, we are about to begin!” she said into the microphone and the villagers cheered in excitement. Ayaka clapped and cheered too. Gaara looked at her and smiled to himself. Ayaka was where she truly belonged, with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. I guess the idea didn't take too long. Of course, I know where the story is going, but the problem is getting to that point. Welp, hope you enjoyed it :D

Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think or a simple recommendation will do :)