Status: Writing and uploading this on my phone, I apologise for short chapters or spelling errors etc.

The Fate of the Tainted

Chapter Five

We continue our search well into the night but there is no sign nor hair of any more Darkspawn so we decide to head back to the estate. Our bodies weary from fighting the previous battles and our lack of sleep taking their toll on us. One of the younger lads has fallen off his horse several times as a consequence and injured his shoulder. I tell everyone to keep moving as I get off the back of Duncan's white mare and help the lad back onto his black and white Piebald stallion.

"Hang in there Sonny, we'll be back soon" I say and get on the horse behind him, taking the rains.
"Forgive me my lady-"
"Hush, it's alright. No need to apologise for being weary" I say understanding how he feels.
I kick the horse into a trot to catch up to the group and as we catch up there's a slight orange glow coming over the hill. But it is no sunrise. I race the stallion to the top of the hill Duncan and the soldiers follow suit. The estate in the distance is alive with fire.
"What happened?" Sergeant Emilie asks. I kick the horse into a gallop without a second thought. Once at the gates I'm surprised to see them shut. I'm not sure what to make of the situation, my first thought was that the Darkspawn had attacked but now I'm not too sure, maybe it could have just been an accident gone bad.
"Open the gates" I shout.
There's no reply. "Is anyone there?...Can anyone hear me? ...Garret!" I shout for the gate keeper. Now my thoughts wander back to an attack again.
"Is everyone dead? Was this the Darwspawn?" Sonny asks, I look to Duncan who nods. Being born tainted I can't sense Darkspawn as well as those that undertook the joining, but Duncan and my mother I can sense easily. "How did they get in" the boy continues to panic.
"Calm down lad" I say to the fearful Sonny. "Fear won't help us"
"My lady? Is that you?" I hear Favian's voice. I look around then look up to see him leaning out of the gate tower window.
"Favian! What happened here? Open the gates" I say
He opens the gate and a few servants come to help us. Favian slid down a rope from the tower after the gates were shut.
"Favian, were is everyone?"
"Darkspawn came up through the wine cellar, took us by surprise, dragged everyone back down there. There's only a few of us left, we had to barricade ourselves in the Great Hall, your mother, she's wounded"
"Take me to her" I demand worried.

We run through the halls until we get to where everyone is cowering, only the main door has been opened the others are still blocked up with tables, chairs and everything else movable. I almost stop in my tracks seeing my mother lying on a table with blood soaked bandages around her waist still clad in her armour. Damon is sat up tall watching her with Amnon next to him, my mothers maid is dabbing her forehead with a wet cloth.
I rush I over to her panting and trying to catch my breath, I lean one knee on the bench as support, almost forgetting about my achy muscles.
"Mother" she's deathly pale and cold to the touch as I hold her hand.
"My daughter. You return" she says weakly.
"O-Of corse I have. You know me, Darkspawn can't... " I take a shaky breath "Can't take me down" I say, my voice barely containing my worry.
"My lady, if I may have a word?" the maid asks, her voice almost a whisper. I nod. "in private" she adds before standing up and walking towards a quiet corner of the room.
"I'll be back in a moment" I say before kissing her hand and walking away

"Tell me you can do something to save her" I say desperately, knowing what she is about to say.
"I'm sorry my lady, your mother... She's not going to last much longer" the maid sounds sympathetic and the hurt she feels shows in her eyes.
"There must be something, anything!" I say looking back to my mother who is talking to Duncan whom is stood where I previously stood.
"I'm sorry my lady" she says before she leaves. I feel a huge wave of pressure start to drown me in sorrow, I feel numb, like my heart has just shattered and left me empty to the the core. I'm sure I've forgotten how to breathe and in that moment I could swear my soul has left my body, I feel like I'm floating. As my senses come back I start to feel dizzy and I lean against the wall with both hands, for support, looking at the floor while breathing heavily but silently.
"My lady?" I hear from my side.
I use all the strength I can muster to stand up straight and face the voice.
"Yes Favian" I manage to say.
"Your mother is asking for you"
He turns around and walks to his sister as I follow, they are both about to walk away when my mother asks them to stay. They nod and comply.
"My daughter" she says slowly, holding her hand out for me to grab. Duncan moves back to let me in "I could never have been more proud of you." The light in her eyes are dimming the usual bright blue is more of a dull grey, her breathing is strained and the air around her feels still. "You are to go with Duncan. you will become a Grey Warden. You've always been so strong, even when you've had every reason to fall apart. I love you, my girl. I couldn't have asked the maker for a more loyal and caring child. I will always watch over you my darling." She says. At that moment a tear falls from my eye.
"I failed you mother, I should've been here" I say holding her hand to my face.
"None sense, we had no way of knowing this would happen, do not blame yourself for what cannot be altered." She wipes my tears away and I force myself to hold the rest back. "You will go to Ostagar, help the King, stop the blight. Favian and Amnon will go with you, and of course, your fur ball of love will go too." Damon whines sadly "you will need all the help you can get. I've ordered an evacuation. The Darwspawn know there are survivors and they will return. Take this key" she pulls a key from between her breasts and hands it to me "in the armoury you will find the family sword and shield. You must go fulfil your destiny, become a Grey Warden. Save Fer-" She says using her last dutiful breath. I close her eyes and place her hand over her stomach and the other one on top of it. I bow my head before getting up and going to the stables and getting bags of straw and bringing them back. Realising what I'm doing the others help.

After the straw and other burn-able items are put around my mother and wood underneath the table I grab a torch from the wall. I look at my mothers peaceful face and bow my head, closing my eyes.
"Andraste, bride of the Maker bring peace to my mother and guide her to heaven where by the Maker's mercy may my mothers soul rest by your side." I light the straw and take one last look at my mother. " I will not let you down" with that said I turn and walk away.