Status: Ongoing

The Moment I Knew

Chapter 2

Sarah arrived at the subway (tube) station and looked for her number 7 train. She saw it was delayed by 10 minutes and sighed, seating herself down at a bench next to an older woman who had many bags piled next to her.
"For my grandchildren," said the woman and Sarah looked from the bags to the kind, withered face of the old lady. "There are three, all are somehow born all in March." She chuckled and Sarah smiled kindly in response.
"How old are they?" She asked the woman who had to put some thought to it.
"Lilly is turning nine, Jeremy is now twelve and Rachel is now seven." She listed off and Sarah smiled.
"That's so nice; they're still at that young age." Said Sarah with a grin as the old woman nodded.
"Yes they are. Time passes quickly my dear, more quickly than many think. I used to be your age, it seems just like yesterday." She chuckled with a sad look in her eyes. "And then you're here." She raised her arms and gestured to herself. "Tell me dear, have you found someone you love?"
Sarah was taken aback by this question. She looked over to the old woman who was looking at her with an expectant and content look.
"I-I" Sarah stuttered. "I-no." She said before looking down to her hands and blushing. "I thought I found that person, but he cheated on me so I don't think the feeling was that mutual." She rolled her blue eyes. "I hope I do though." She said despite her sad story and looked up to the old woman.
"Well," began the old lady. "Don't wait too long. It's not everyday you're going to find someone to love you and put up with you for sixty years." She smiled a bit. "James was that person for me...oh yes he was. Drove me absolutely insane but still stuck around even at my worst times." Sarah smiled at the thought of that. "Once you find that person dear," the woman looked to her seriously. "Don't let them go, no matter what."
"But how will I know it's them?" Sarah asked before she had really granted herself permission to say that. The words were out of her mouth and she couldn't stop them.
"You will...you will miss them when they're gone..it's like they've taken a part of you with them. And when they come back everything is right in the world again. It's hard to explain but you will know. The feeling is hard to ignore." Chuckled the old woman.
"I see." Said Sarah as a train pulled I'm and the woman stood up and struggled to grasp all her things. Sarah stood up and immediately took the bags for her. "Here, let me help." Sarah said as she saw a figure in the corner of her eye. Sarah took the bags and straightened up and saw that the figure was the guy from the coffee shop- Finn Harries.
"Oh thank you dear." Said the woman as they moved toward the train's platform. "That's so kind." She said as Sarah stepped into the train and places the bags down on one of the seats where the woman then sat.
"Of course. Thanks for the chat. And I hope your grandchildren's birthdays go well." Replied Sarah as she quickly stepped back onto the platform. She waved goodbye to the woman as the train pulled away.
"That was quite nice of you," a voice said and Sarah turned around to see Finn standing there with a playful grin on his lips.
Finn had such a strange affect on Sarah. She got the worst but best butterflies in her stomach when she was around him and everything he said made her heart jump up. He was such an attractive guy, she was so shocked when he seemed to want to talk to her more in the shop. Sarah felt short of breath when she spoke to him, it was all the nerves.
"It was nothing really." she shrugged. "She was really nice, gave me some good grandmotherly advice." she chuckled as Finn smiled with a light laugh. "And I knew she was probably going to have a bit of trouble with all those bags, so it wasn't a lot for me to carry them ten steps." she said and Finn nodded but then shrugged.
"You never know, like how we talked earlier...People aren't that nice nowadays." he said and she nodded with a slight frown.
"I wish it wasn't like that." she said as she started walking towards the bench, Finn following along behind her. "You know that John Lennon song, Imagine?" she asked him as Finn nodded. "I love that song..I just feel like if the world was like that then everything would just be so much simpler and easy. But of course, we're stupid and fight and start wars and say things we don't really mean." she shook her head. "And I'm rambling..." she stated with a blush as Finn laughed and sat down next to her.
"No, I don't mind. Go ahead." he said as she shook her curls.
"No way, you have to talk too. I don't wanna be the only one talking-I'll get annoying." she said and then she thought she heard Finn mumble something under his breath. "Anyways," she began. "You take the tube too?" she asked and he nodded.
"Yeah," answered Finn. "Number 7 back to Leeds." he said and Sarah nodded with a smile.
"That's mine too," she said. "Do you live on campus?" she asked him and Finn nodded.
"I do, yeah. It's great. Are you living there as well?" he asked and she shook her head.
"No, I found an apartment about two blocks away which is really nice. I was living in it before I really even considered going into University." she explained. "So I decided instead of moving I may as well just stay put."
Finn nodded in understanding. "Makes sense," he said. "Which part of Canada are you from?" he asked as he watched Sarah play with the hem of her shirt.
"Oh, the very west coast." she said looking over to him with a laugh. "Yeah, I'm from Vancouver Island." she told him. "The capitol of BC, which is Victoria, where I lived. Forty five minutes away from the centre of Victoria is this tiny little town called Metchosin." she explained. "It's completely farm land and ocean and trees and mountains...I honestly love it." she smiled as Finn watched her take on this new reminiscent glow. "I grew up there all my life and when I got older I really felt like the farm girl in a giant city. I loved living on the farm with all the animals and my family...But the buzz of the city made me come here." she explained. "And you?" she asked looking over to him expectantly.
"Oh, well I've lived in London practically my entire life. My brother and I Jack grew up in West London, in a city called Cheswick. Then when we were around twelve we moved to central London." he told her. "It was a bit of a change since central London is way busier than Cheswick but it's been fun." he shrugged.
"You have a brother?" she asked him as Finn nodded with a grin.
"Unfortunately," he said as Sarah laughed. "We're twins." he said and she looked to him with a shocked expression.
"Really? That's so cool," she said. "Do people always get you mixed up?" she asked him as Finn nodded with a sigh.
"Yeah, but it's all good now. We're a bit different aside from being identical twins. But we like to mess around with people and switch names and everything." he chuckled as Sarah laughed.
"That would be fun," she said. "I have siblings as well. Four actually," she sighed with a roll of her eyes.
"Wow, that's a lot." said Finn.
"Yeah I know," she laughed. "But they're all pretty great. I have two sisters and two brothers. Both my sister's and one brother is older and then I have a little brother." she explained. "Vanessa and Heather are twenty seven and twenty eight. Then Colin is Twenty three, I'm nineteen and then Alex is...wait for it...Seven." she said and Finn's eyebrows shot up.
"Talk about an age difference." he said as Sarah laughed as did Finn. "Was he..the.."
"Unexpected surprise? Yes." confirmed Sarah, finishing the sentence for Finn. "Poor guy is by himself now since everyone's moved out and away from home. But I think he kinda likes it that way...Gets all the attention," she winked to Finn who chuckled and nodded.
"I'm sure," he agreed. "Why did you decide to move to England?" he asked just as a train pulled in, a blinking red 7, looking right at them.
They both continued their walk onto the train as Sarah answered. "Oh God...A number of reasons. I think I just needed to get out of there and into the world. Not that I didn't love living there. I just wanted to see what else the world had to offer. And I thought since England is around pretty much every country I've ever wanted to visit, and that I also have some family here, it would be the sensible choice." she explained as they both sat down on the bench lining the wall of the train.
"I get it. I've always wanted to do lots of travelling. See all the different parts of the world. My brother Jack and I are both really into doing that kind of thing." he said as Sarah nodded with a grin.
"Learning the culture and everything..Seeing an ordinary day for those kinds of people around the world just really appeals to me." she sighed. "I just don't know when or if I'll have the money and time for it." she frowned while they whirred along the tracks.
"I know," said Finn with a smile because of how well they seemed to be getting along so far. "Seeing the way people lives is so cool because it can be so different from your own. It can really just..expand your way of thinking about things." he decided finally on his choice of words as Sarah smiled over at him.
"So are you going to do it?" she asked him and Finn looked at her with wrinkled brows.
"Do what?" he asked and Sarah suddenly laughed.
"I'm sorry...Even though I've been living here almost a year I just cannot get over your accents." she sighed with a satisfied grin. "The way you talk is just so cool." she said as Finn laughed.
"Well I really like your accent too," he said and Sarah looked to him.
"I have an accent?" she asked, stunned as Finn laughed, throwing his head back at her antics.
"Of course you do!" he exclaimed as Sarah blushed and laughed at the same moment. "Everyone does. And I like yours, cause I haven't been around many Canadians. Only really Americans or South African's." he told her as Sarah laughed once more, quietly.
"Thanks," she replied. "But I meant, are you going to go and see the world?" she asked and Finn sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair.
"I'm not really sure." he said as Sarah seemed to be analyzing him.
And she was, truthfully. Every time he was asked a difficult question, one that required thought or maybe seemed to be something he knew was challenging to address, he would rake his hand through his hair, mussing it up. Sarah secretly loved that though, how he messed about with his hair. Finn also always looked her in the eye, which maybe didn't seem like a big deal, but Sarah knew it was a sign of being polite and also she felt like Finn was so interested in what she had to say.
"I want to," said Finn with a sure nod. "Absolutely. But I guess I'm where you're at too. Needing the time and the money and not really knowing if I'll have it." he said. "But I'm sure it'll work out anyways."
"Yeah," agreed Sarah as she brushed some of her hair over one shoulder. "I think that if you really want to do something, you can almost always make it work out. Despite everything...I think if you're serious enough about it nothing can really stop you." she explained as Finn took in her words and thought about it.
"That's an optimistic point of view," he commented. "Why are you so sure things will all work out?" he asked in general curiosity as Sarah shrugged and stood up, grabbing hold of one of the poles situated in the floor, meant for standing passengers.
"I don't know...I think I would just rather be positive towards something working out rather than listing off every reason why it may not happen." she said simply. "It's a lot easier to be happy than it is to conjure up he energy of being pessimistic." she pointed out to him.
"That's very true," agreed Finn. "Clever girl," he said as Sarah smirked with a satisfied look in her eye.
"As you may come to know," she replied.
"Now Sarah, self flattery is not a good trait to possess," he said with a teasing tone.
Sarah laughed and shook her head. "Who said it was self flattery? Maybe I'm just not as wimpy as some people." she said as Finn looked to her in humour. She sure could have a way with words and wit.
"No," said Finn. "I believe this is all just stemming from your own insecurities." he said as Sarah scoffed.
"Insecurities?" she asked. "Well what makes you such an expert on my 'insecurities' when you only met me about an hour ago?" she asked him with a look and her hands on her hips.
Finn decided to let her win. "Touché," he accepted her valid argument.
Sarah chuckled for a moment before sighing and leaning against the pole. "Do you have any other siblings? Besides Jack, I mean." she asked him and Finn nodded.
"I have a younger sister Emmy-Lou. And also two younger, and completely annoying twin brother Alonso and Alfonso." he rolled his eyes and Sarah's eyebrows shot up.
"Wow, you have just as many as me. And two sets of twins? Your mom must get you se mixed up all the time! I know I would," she laughed and Finn smiled a bit and nodded.
"Yeah, she does it wrong every now and again...But not that much. We all have different personalities so it's easier to tell when you get to know all of us better." he explained as Sarah nodded in understanding.
"That makes sense." she agreed. "Emmy-Lou...That's such a cute name. Does she hate having four brothers?" she asked him as Finn laughed.
"I swear, sometimes she wouldn't mind if we all just disappeared. She's nine and is probably more bothered by Alfonso and Alonso than Jack and I." he told her. "She actually has started missing us now that we're going to university aren't aren't home as much as we used to be." Sarah smiled softly and Finn couldn't really tell why. "But my family's great all the same. Completely dysfunctional and totally mad sometimes..But great." he said which got a laugh out of Sarah.
"Yeah, mine is like that too. I seriously question why I even go home for Christmas because everyone is so argumentative that by the end of the night there's someone mad at someone else. My family could be a bloody debate team...And they would never lose." she rolled her eyes as Finn laughed.
"Are they really that bad?" he asked her as he sighed with laughter as Sarah nodded seriously with a bit of a humoured look.
"Yes!" she exclaimed. "I don't know why I go back there if I just have to listen to them yell for an hour and a half about the use of cell phones and the internet!" she said with a shake of her head. "It makes no damn sense. It's Christmas...And my family acts like they wouldn't mind burying the casket of their cousin or niece of granddaughter." she crossed her arms while rolling her eyes. "But it has it's perks as well." she said with a shrug. "The food for one is amazing,"
"That's always a must have during the holidays," chipped in Finn.
"Yep," she agreed. "And we have games and sing alongs and opening presents...It's all really fun. Minus that hour and a half of screaming which is when I usually just call it a night and go to bed." she laughed at herself while Finn smiled.
"My family is so loud...The house gets so busy and drives all the women crazy. Like my mum, and aunts and nana." Finn chuckled. "They're yelling at the boys, 'sit down you bloody hooligans!'"! Finn imitated as Sarah laughed, covering her mouth at his antics.
"Oh my gosh..." she sighed with a big grin. "I would love to see that." she told him as Finn thought: I want you to. I would love spending Christmas with you.
"Its quite the sight." Finn agreed instead of voicing his honest thoughts about spending the holidays together. "Do you only go back for holidays?" He asked her and Sarah shrugged.
"It depends I guess. Sometimes if I have time off from school or work I'll drop in...but the holidays are almost always a guaranteed visit." Sarah explained to him and Finn looked at her eyes again.
Sarah's stomach jumped because she knew he was looking her over. His eyes on her were like a searing flame being blown across her body. He was absolutely gorgeous. Probably had some super model looking girlfriend back at his dorm. Sarah looked up from the spot on the ground and met Finn's gaze, and she saw how beautifully green and blue they were..which caused her to blush even more. Finn cleared his throat which only made things more tense. Then a ring began screeching from Finn's pocket. He dig it from his jeans and answered it.
"Hello mate," he greeted. "Yeah, sure. Sounds good. Tomorrow? Great, yeah. Okay, yeah I will, bye." He hung up and chuckled. "Jack's driving up here tonight and should be here tomorrow. He wants to do a UStream..he runs his own YouTube channel." He said and Sarah perked up at this news.
"Really? Is it super popular?" She asked him and Finn shrugged.
"Got about a million subscribers." He said and Sarah's eyes basically popped from their sockets."Are you serious?" she asked him with shock. "Wow...When you said YouTube channel I didn't think it would be that successful!" she laughed. "So," she said with a sigh. "What do you...YouTube?" she asked noticing her odd choice of words.
Finn laughed at her. "We do pretty random stuff....Open fan mail, do different challenges, we also do collaborations with other YouTubers." he explained as Sarah chuckled.
"So there's like a whole other community of YouTube people?" she asked as Finn nodded. "That's crazy. Do you meet these people before you do the collaborations?" she asked him while moving her already (in Finn's opinion) perfect curls by ruffling them over her shoulder.
Finn's answer was just slightly delayed since he was so distracted by her hair. "Most times we don't meet them." he said. "We see their videos, kind of email and chat, arrange everything. We meet up and talk for a little while, come up with an idea and then do a video." Finn explained as Sarah listened intently.
"Wow," she laughed. "You make it sound so simple." Sarah looked down the train cart. "I'm pretty positive technology hates me so all that crazy video making is scary for me." she looked back to him with an embarrassed look which made Finn smile like an idiot.
"I don't believe anything could hate you," he said and the words were out of his mouth and there was nothing he could do to stop them. Finn seriously considered throwing himself out the tube's window right then because of how much of a lunatic he sounded like.
"Ha!" laughed Sarah as Finn sighed internally, glad she took his mistake of words lightly. "No, tell that to all the girls in middle school," she smirked with another laugh. "They definitely hated me. Why...? I'm not really sure." she shrugged but then thought as Finn was intrigued by this new story. "But I'm pretty sure it had something to do with my looks and the fact I like country music." she nodded as Finn rolled his eyes.
"Those are ridiculous reasons to dislike someone," he said tiredly as Sarah walked over and sat next to him again.
"Yeah," she agreed with somewhat of a sad tone. "But it was what it was." she shrugged. "It's all over now, and I don't really care...I just hate knowing it's still happening to people all the time still." she frowned as Finn nodded and leaned back in the seat.
"Yup, it's quite sad. Those kids don't deserve to be picked on." he said as Sarah nodded with another sad look. "It didn't stay that way in secondary school, did it?" he asked her and Sarah laughed at the amount of worry in his voice.
"No, no," she shook her head with a smile. "Of course not. Those girls went to a different school and I was able to move on and make better, and much nicer friends." she assured him. "It was a drag for the first three out of six years but after I changed schools everything picked up. My new friend's honestly could care less what music I listened to and about the fact I have curly hair." she rolled her blue eyes with a short laugh.
Finn eyed one of her curls and thought how amusing it would be to pull on it and watch it spring back up-Finn was almost positive it would. "Well I quite like your curls," he said with a bright tone, hoping to lighten the subject.
Sarah blushed and smiled. "Thanks," she said. "You can thank my mother for that." she said as Finn smirked.
"That where you got it from?" he asked as Sarah nodded.
"Obviously..And the only one in my family who did too. Curly hair is a recessive gene and straight hair isn't, so I'm the only one out of five with curly hair." she explained. "I'm sorry," she laughed. "I just went all grade nine Science on you." she laughed, bending over as did Finn.
"Don't worry about it, I didn't really pay much attention to that course." he told her as Sarah nodded.
"I hated it," she replied. "I had the creepiest teacher...Mr. Turner..The rugby coach." she cringed and then shivered. "Ugh...He was disgusting on top of creepy. He always sweaty, and the sweat would all gather at he back of his head." Sarah gestured to her own nape of her neck. "So every time he turned around-which was like, all the time- you could see all his wet hair stuck together because of all the sweat." she pretended to gag as Finn laughed where he sat.
"Oh my god that sounds horrid." he replied with another round of laughter. "How could you even be in that class?" he asked Sarah as she looked back.
"I ask myself that question every day..." she said as they laughed but were cut off by a loud buzz of the intercom.
"Leeds University, Grier at Marine."
Sarah rose from her seat, as did Finn. They stood at the doors as they felt the train come to a stop. The doors wheeshed open and they stepped through.
Sarah had this big sinking feeling in her stomach as she realized she was going to have to say goodbye to Finn. He was so nice. And so god damn attractive. And funny, and charming as was saying all these wonderful things to her...He liked her hair! That was such a good sign for her. So often Sarah worried that her hair would scare guys off.
"So," said Sarah as they stood on the platform and they heard the train take off again. There were two staircases, one leading up to Grier, towards Leeds, and the other leading up to Marine-Where Sarah's apartment was. "I guess I'll see you later Finn, it was nice meeting you." she said with a blush that she hoped Finn couldn't see.
"I hope I'll see you later..I have a...proposition for you." he decided on his wording as Sarah looked to him with a raised brow and a curious look in her eye.
"What kind of proposition would that be?" she asked him and Finn smirked and Sarah thought she could see a hint of something in his eyes...But she couldn't quite figure out what it was.
"You will see my later...If you go out with me?" he asked and immediately Sarah's inner girly-girl began screaming and shouting within herself. Sarah's stomach was doing double front flips and twists and jumping into pits of happiness.
"That's quite the proposition..." Sarah trailed, trying as hard as she could to hold back the blush she felt coming on. "And it sounds quite promising because I really enjoyed talking to you." she said as Finn smiled a crooked smile that Sarah thought about kissing right there. "So I guess I'll have to accept. Do you have your phone with you?" she asked and Finn nodded, pulling it from his pocket.
Sarah took it from him and punched in her number before handing it back. "If you can text me with the plans I can get back to you." she smiled as Finn took his phone back and he couldn't believe that what he had just tried really worked. He was expecting a flat out 'no'.
"Sure," he agreed. "See you later," he said, making the first move by walking towards Grier street as Sarah smiled.
"Bye Finn," she called as she too began the walk to sea-level.
Sarah didn't know why...But she found it so incredibly difficult to say goodbye to him, and couldn't help but wonder what it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's chapter 2! I hope these aren't too long...? I was thinking that if it was too much for on chapter I could always split them up...! Let me know what you think! Thanks so much!

~Writinggurl101_