The Tree

three

It had been quite a few years, Shay and Brian now being fifteen. Brian was still attending the private schools his father had chosen and Shay was still stuck in the clutches of public schooling. While she still didn’t enjoy the place much, she now had other friends besides Brian, and Brian the same. They had a silent, mutual agreement that they didn’t particularly feel like introducing their friends to each other - knowing each group came from too different of worlds - but they still met at their tree every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon.

Shay was currently stretched out at her friend Zack’s house. Him and his brother Mattie were yelling at Mario and Luigi for ‘fucking up their jumps’. Shay rolled her eyes, leaning her head back against the armrest of the couch she had taken over. “Y’know, you shouldn't blame the device for the users' faults.”

“And you should shut up,” Zack grumbled at his friend. She grinned in reply. Mattie suddenly began to laugh full force at his older brother which made Zack realize he had lost his final life, Mattie running off without him. Zack let out a huff and tossed the controller away from him. It bounced off the floor and laid to rest in front of the television. He then stood from the floor and picked up Shay’s legs to then plop in the spot they had been in, dropping them back to his lap.

“Rude,” Shay scoffed, though she was smiling as she said it.

Zack easily returned it. “No, this would be rude.”

Suddenly he was grasping one of her ankles and began to tickle the bare underside of her foot. She let out a screech and tried to yank her foot back, but Zack had a much stronger grip than most would assume. “Stop it, dickwad!”

“Fine, fine,” Zacky laughed, dropping her foot. She quickly sat up, curling her legs underneath her as she pouted at him. “Hey, I only let go since you asked so nicely.”

“I don’t wanna hear sarcasm from you, mister,” Shay retorted, wiggling a finger in his face. He opened his mouth and she quickly retracted her hand before he could try to bite at her. “Sometimes I worry about you.”

“Nonsense,” Zack scoffed, leaning back in his seat.

“You try to bite people all the time. You’re either turning into a cannibal, zombie, or you’re simply a sadist,” Shay countered. Zack's head leaned back as he stared at the ceiling, seeming to be in deep thought.

“I think zombie is most likely. I’m always tired and groaning too,” Zack finally spoke with a shrug.

“Can I be the person to shoot you in the head with a rifle?”

“One, you couldn't handle a rifle. And two, who says that Mattie shouldn't be the one to shoot me? He is my brother,” Zack pointed out. Mattie wasn't even paying attention anymore, too involved with getting Luigi safely past the killer plants.

“Because Mattie has a less chance of handling a rifle than I do,” Shay scoffed. “Besides, a younger brother shooting the older one? That just leaves him emotionally scarred for the rest of his zombie-filled life.”

“So you’re saying you could shoot me and hold no scarring?”

“Well, maybe a little, but I’d be much better off than Mattie.”

“Fine, I’ll give you this win,” Zack spoke. Shay looked at the digital clock on top of the television and saw it was 1:30 in the afternoon. With a grin, she reached over the side of the couch to locate her socks that were tucked into her Converse. Zack looked over at the clock too and frowned. “That Brian kid?”

“His name is simply Brian, but yes,” Shay replied. Zack, Mattie, and a few of her other friends at school seemed peeved that Shay would drop everything she was doing to go meet a guy they've never even seen before. She assured them that he was an old friend and just shy. Shay was thinking they were starting to doubt her sanity, but it didn't matter. She and Brian were too great of friends to really care about the outsider opinions on their friendship.

“Well, be safe, alright?” Zack spoke, standing with her and kissing her forehead. They both knew she was like his sister and she had no say. Not that she was complaining, she felt like she was home when she was at the two’s house.

“I always am,” Shay replied with a grin. “See ya, Mattie.”

“Bye Shay,” he called, waving over his shoulder. With that, Shay let herself out of the Baker household and headed to the highest point of their town. It was a twenty minute walk, but Shay enjoyed the time to think to herself. There were quite a few more cars than usual, but that would be expected on a Saturday afternoon.

What was pretty surprising for her is that she never found people on their hill. It held such a great view, but no one would ever come. The willow tree probably threw people off. She also had a feeling that maybe it was actually on her family's property, meaning people would have to be trespassing, but she had no real proof. Her parents told her not to worry about it, not too concerned with the reason she was even bothering to ask about the tree. Shay's parents didn't even know Brian existed. But then again, they were never home or just simply didn't care enough to know Shay's friends.

Shay finally reached the base of the hill and was up in less than a minute. Brian was already there, seeming to be dozing. He had definitely reached a good stage in his growth. His cheekbones were as prominent as ever and his smile could melt hearts. His dark hair was short in back and his bangs were combed and flipped backwards from his face. He still wore jeans and band shirts daily, but traded in his Converse for a pair of large boots. He was a tall five foot seven and still growing.

Shay smiled, tiptoeing up to his side. Right as she opened her mouth to say something, he spoke, “You aren't very good at being sneaky.”

“I think you're just too good at being a spy,” Shay scoffed, dropping down next to him with a huff. Brian cracked open an eye and smirked.

“That's a wonderful compliment, Shay. Thank you.”

Shay rolled her eyes. “I didn't mean it as such. I mistakenly put the word ‘spy’ instead of ‘criminal’.”

“Uh-huh, sure,” he taunted, shutting his eyes with a permanent smile on his face. “So how's Zack?”

“He's good. We were talking about how he’s a zombie.” Brian opened his eyes and raised an eyebrow at her then, giving her a look that suggested he doubted she still held any bit of sanity. “Don’t give me that look. We get into some weird conversations too.”

“I haven’t questioned your species though,” Brian pointed out.

“Don’t worry, we’ll have that talk eventually.” He gave her a doubtful stare. “So how's Tim?”

“He's fine,” Brian spoke simply, giving a small shrug. Tim was Brian's best buddy at his school. From what I could tell, they were partners in crime. “He’s planning on dropping out.”

“Why?” Shay exclaimed, looking at him with wide eyes. Brian simply shrugged again. “Well, did you talk to him?”

“None of my business what he does with his life.” Shay just stared at him with wide eyes. He looked over, noticed, and frowned. “What?”

“How can you let him do that?! It’s like he's throwing his life away!”

“He wouldn't listen to me anyways,” Brian scoffed.

“Make him! Shit, Bri, even though kids our age doubt it, our education is way too important!”

“Fine, fine. I’ll talk to him,” Brian grumbled. It fell silent for a few minutes, the only sound through the air was the leaves of the willow drifting in the wind. “What are we going to do, Shay?”

“What are you talking about?” Shay sighed, turning to look at her friend. He was staring out into the distance, his eyes dazed and unstaring.

“What are we going to do after high school? We have only a little over two years left and, poof! We’re out. What are we going to do?”

“I dunno. College. Get a job. Go to all the concerts we want,” Shay said, waving it off with her hand. “Why? What did you want to do when we’re done?”

“Not college,” Brian scoffed, folding his hands behind his head. “I can barely stand school now, why sign up for another four years?”

“Because it will help us with our future,” Shay argued.

“Oh, c’mon. They've told us that story since elementary school! They’re just brainwashing us, making us think that’s what we have to do. Look at the guys of Pantera and Metallica, they didn't need college.”

“Are you making this into a ‘don’t let the man control us’ thing?” Shay laughed out.

“No, I’m making this a ‘college isn't as important as we think’ thing,” Brian scoffed.

“Well, fine. You go run off and become famous by selling drugs on the street or something. I’ll go to college and make myself a veterinarian,” Shay exclaimed. It fell silent again between the two. Shay knew she shouldn't be, but she was deeply annoyed and bothered by Brian’s words. Did he really think he was going to find something to do and enjoy without going to college? He wasn't just going to be able to get lucky and become famous from some half-assed hobby. How was he going to support the wife and kids he wanted? He wouldn't be able to if he didn't smart up soon.

“You're angry, aren't you?”

“No,” Shay replied shortly.

“Liar,” Brian sighed. As Shay opened her mouth to argue, Brian continued, “Your nostrils flare when you're angry and they're flaring away.”

“Fine, yes, I am. Didn't you say you wanted to have a wife and family?”

“Don't do this right now, Shay. I’ll do what I have to do when it comes up, alright?” The way he turned, almost all the way to his side, let Shay know it really was the end of conversation and he had no interest in talking about it anymore. The two were silent for at least fifteen minutes, not even looks being exchanged. Finally Brian let out a sigh, turning back to Shay with a smile. “So a vet, huh?”

“Yeah, what about it?” Shay scoffed.

“The fact that you can’t even see a dog with a flu without looking like you’re gonna cry,” Brian remarked. “How are you going to do surgery on a dog?”

“I'll know I’m going to be able to do something for it,” Shay retorted with a whine in her voice.

“Get over that fear of blood yet?”

“It’s not a fear,” Shay sighed. “It’s an unease with blood.”

“Shay.” She let out a noise, telling him to continue. “Don’t be a vet.”

“I don’t think I could handle it. I dunno what I'll do, but I still have time to think it over,” Shay reminded. Brian nodded. It was quiet again, but this time it was more relaxed. “Hey Bri?”

“Yeah?”

“How about a psychologist?”

He gave her a slightly surprised look before he quickly covered it up. Brian quickly offered Shay a smile. “A psychologist, huh?”

“Well, y’know, the one I used to have actually help me out some,” Shay spoke with a small shrug. “And I do really well in the class. Just a thought.”

It was true. In seventh grade, Shay’s parents finally sent her to a psychologist after she had begged them for a while. Both of her parents thought she just wanted attention, but it was Mrs. Cruz, the doctor they had found, that believed she did have troubles. After Shay described her home life, she had decided she was depressed. She took medicine for a while before her parents got tired of the ‘dramatics’ and stopped taking her. They were extremely displeased when she decided to take Psychology 1 this year at school, the only class Shay bothered to talk about during dinner.

“I think you’d do great as a psychologist,” Brian spoke suddenly, making Shay slightly jump. She turned to look at him to see him staring upwards at the sun trying to break through the leaves above. “You could probably make people feel like they’re not alone. You do it for me all the time.”

“You? Alone?” Shay snorted at the idea. “Yeah right.”

“Hey, it’s true,” Brian argued as he looked over at his friend, frowning at her lack of belief. “When I’m not with you I feel like I don’t exist. My friends aren't allowed to hangout with me since Dad doesn't like the idea of me not being under his watch. Yet, when I am, he pretends I’m a figment of his imagination. A very disappointing figment.”

“How do you even get out of the house anyways?” Shay mused. She had never bothered to find out how he always escaped his father's careful gaze all these years. She simply knew that, no matter what, Brian would always be there when he said he would.

“He’s gone at work,” Brian replied simply with a half-assed shrug. “And our neighbor, Mrs. Simmons, is old. She’s usually napping and not watching to see if I leave. She lies to Dad too, tells him I was home all day.”

“So she tends to just sit around and watch your house?” Shay questioned, her eyes wide. It seemed extremely creepy for the neighbor to do. Don’t old people normally knit or read or something instead of sitting in one place all day? Brian seemed to understand her thinking and shrugged.

“She’s in a wheelchair and her hands are really shaky. Aftermath of one of the wars. She impersonated a man when she was younger so she could enter the military,” Brian explained. “She’d be pretty cool if she wasn't my unofficial warden.”

“Sounds like it,” Shay agreed. “But I’m happy she’s that way. If not, this wouldn't work out and it’d suck.”

“That it would.” There was a paused before Brian asked, “What do you think I’d be good as?”

“A male model,” Shay replied without a moment of hesitation.

“Right off the bat, huh? No other options?”

“Nope,” Shay replied confidently. “You’ll be a killing in a few years. Just skip all the extra 'options' and become a male model.”

“I’ll get right on that,” Brian joked, playfully shoving her shoulder.

“Good. I get the first centerfold.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Half way through. c: