The Tree

four

“Shay Alexandria Wallace,” the voice of Shay’s principal boomed into the microphone. Shay, adorned in her deep blue gowns, placed on her hundred watt smile and strutted across the stage. Loud cheers - and a few cat calls - erupted throughout the arena. It only seemed to make her smile wider. She swiftly shook hands with the superintendent as she grabbed her diploma before heading back to her seat. She was happy when the ceremony was over after her last few classmates had walked and the principal gave his farewells. In a haze of blue and white streamers, she ran out the back door of the arena, her fellow graduates in tow.

Once the rented gowns were placed in the boxes located near the exit, the newly freed teens were allowed to leave. Not too long after that was when Shay was tackled from behind and fell into the grass that surrounded the arena. Laughing, Shay pathetically tried to shove her friends off of her. Jimmy was screaming in her ear about their ‘victory’ as Zack and Matt continued to chat ‘party’ over and over. Val was nearby with her twin, Michelle, who were both grinning and laughing at the pile before them. The three males finally let her up, Zack helping her to her feet.

“So, party at my place?” Zack offered, grinning at the group. They all nodded their agreements. It was the last big shindig they would be able to participate in before everyone would be leaving for the towns their colleges were located in or they would be completely preoccupied by jobs. Shay knew she’d miss them terribly, but they were all in towns nearby and they knew they would keep in contact years down the road. There was a common misconception that none of the friends you had in high school would be there later on. That was a lie, at least for this group. They’d be friends forever.

“Zack!” The entire group turned to see Mattie barreling through the crowd to reach his brother and friends. Mattie was practically a smaller version of his older brother, right down to the left handedness and strange sense of humor. He wore a wide grin as he reached the group of six. “Congrats you guys!”

“Thanks Mattie,” Shay replied sincerely, hugging the sophomore. Soon everyone was hugging Mattie and the two’s parents when they finally showed out of the crowd. Soon enough, everyone’s parents were appearing and giving their congrats. Shay expectantly looked around and felt her disappointment creep up when she saw that everyone was gathered in their designated families, her own nowhere to be seen.

Shay jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Zack was frowning at her, his own eyes skimming over the ever shrinking crowd. “Are they here?”

“Dad is across the country on some big case and Mom had a release in the UK. It’s fine, Zack,” Shay added when she saw the deepening frown on her friend’s face. As his eyes trained on her own, she flashed him her bright smile. “Seriously, Zack, it’s fine. I knew it would happen.”

“But it’s your fucking graduation,” Zack growled, narrowing his eyes as he stared at the ground. He shoved his hands in his slack’s pockets before kicking at nothing in the grass. Shay shrugged, a closed mouth smile replacing the other.

“And their careers are more important. After so many years, I thought you’d know that I just don’t care anymore.”

“And you should know I don’t believe your lie anymore,” Zack countered.

Before Shay could argue, Zack’s mother and father stepped forward, smiling at her apologetically. “Sorry Shay, we need to head out. Their grandparents are coming in from the airport. Dinner and all. Do you need a ride home?”

“No, that’s fine. Matt’s giving me a ride,” Shay rejected, elbowing the buff man in the ribs. Matt grinned in reply, nodding and wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

“Yeah, I got her Mrs. B. You guys have fun.”

“Thank you, Matt,” she spoke, grinning widely. Soon the whole family traded hugs with the five other graduates. Once they had bid their farewells and the twins’ family came and gave their goodbyes, Matt turned to Shay with a deep frown.

“Why did I just lie to Zack’s mother?” Matt demanded. Shay sighed, running a hand through her hair. Matt and Jimmy took the silent suggestion and led the way to the parking lot.

“Where are your parents anyway, Matt?” Shay asked suddenly, turning to look up at the man on her left. Matt smiled in reply.

“I saw them before I found you guys. We did lunch and stuff yesterday since they had to rush off to work after the ceremony and knew I would be at a party,” Matt explained with a shrug. Shay nodded, falling silent again. “So Jim, parents still angry?”

“Definitely,” Jimmy spoke in reply, nodding. “But I saw them and the girls in the crowd when I walked. I know they’ll probably contact me at your place tomorrow, or something like that.”

“Good,” Matt and I spoke in unison. Jimmy’s parents were constantly angry with him for either his reckless antics or, as it used to be, his drug use. So, looking out for his younger sisters, Jimmy would be banished from the house for a few days. Jimmy agreed fully, knowing he was stuck in his ways and that it was safer if he didn’t do things like that around his siblings. Well, now he was three months clean and just normal stupid again.

“So are you planning to give us an answer on why we lied to the Bakers?” Jimmy asked as we reached Matt’s Honda Accord. Shay sighed, climbing into the backseat as the two climbed into their seats in the front.

“I just don’t want them to be all sympathetic about my parents. Like I’ve said a million times, they think their own lives are too important for mine and I’m coming to terms with it,” Shay grumbled. She grumpily leaned back, her arms crossed over her chest in annoyance. “I was fine until everyone started asking me about it.”

“No, you were just good at lying to yourself,” Matt corrected as he took a left out of the arena parking lot, cutting off a man who was busying trying to take up the whole street. Jimmy chuckled and flipped the man off when he laid on his horn. “You’ve always been bothered by it and you know it.”

Shay didn’t reply. She opted for silence and staring at the passing scenery on the way to her home. She was dead set in believing that it didn’t bother her. She would go to her grave fighting that. After a few minutes, they were pulling into the driveway of Shay’s empty house. She climbed out of the car, nodding her thanks. “I’ll see you guys tonight.”

“When are you going to head over?” Matt called, idling in the driveway as she walked around to his side of the car. She rolled her eyes up in thought before shrugging.

“Seven, I guess? Usually Zack starts the party at nine so I might as well help him set up,” Shay replied. Matt nodded, putting his car in reverse.

“Alright. Not sure when we’ll come over. Depends how long it takes him to get ready,” Matt informed, jerking his head over towards Jimmy. The taller of the two frowned, flipping him the bird.

“Sorry if I’m the only one willing enough to look good for the ladies,” Jimmy scoffed, pushing his black hair back dramatically. Shay and Matt both rolled their eyes. At parties, Jimmy was interested in everything but the ladies. His main goals were to drink as much as possible and prank as many party goers as possible.

“See ya,” Shay called before heading up her walkway to the front door. Matt waited until she was inside before pulling out and zooming down the street. She headed to her room and began unzipping her dress on the short walk. She let it drop to the floor haphazardly and walked over to the phone sitting in its cradle in the corner of the room. She pressed ‘play’ on the voicemail before entering her closet, the voice flowing through the speaker.

“Hey Shay, sorry about not being able to make it to your graduation. I had hoped I could be home to help you move to your dorm, but the case is going to be longer than I thought. Call me when you get there. Bye.”

A beep was heard before the next message began.

“Hi honey. I have interviews and then I have to fly out to Germany. I hope you enjoy your dorm. Make sure to visit us.”

“Looks like Dad wins for trying to seem like he cares the most,” Shay announced out loud to the empty house. She slipped into a tank and high waist skirt. She plopped down on her bed to slip into ankle socks and some High Tops. Once the Converse were secured on her feet, she pushed herself off the bed. Shay paused in her bedroom doorway, turning back to the half empty room. Most of her things, except clothes and bathroom necessities were packed away in cardboard boxes. She shook her head before leaving out of the house through her backdoor.

Shay headed up the hill, taking her time as if she were memorizing every blade of grass on the path that had been beaten down after all these years. She stood by the tree, her hand resting of the trunk, as she stared at the familiar landscape before her. It never had seemed to alter in the last twelve years. It looked and felt the same, no matter when in the year she looked at it. She looked up and observed the branches and leaves. Finally, on a whim, she turned and began her climb up. She ended up below the top branch, leaning back against the trunk, smiling softly with her eyes closed.

“Boo,” a voice spoke a few minutes later. Instead of screaming and flailing her arms as most girls her age would, Shay simply swatted her hand out. It reached a target and the person gave a grumble of pain. “Ass.”

“Coming from the guy trying to scare me? Sorry if I don’t take the utmost offense.” Shay finally opened her eyes to see Brian sitting on the branch right next to her. He was dressed in a white, button up shirt, black slacks, and his usual boots. His hair was getting longer - to the middle of his neck - with his bangs combed to the side. “So how was it?”

“Hot, stuffy, and boring beyond belief,” Brian sighed. His own graduation had taken place in his school’s large gym. Since there weren’t as many kids who attended his private school, there was no need for the oversized arena Shay’s class had been put in. “How about yours?”

“Long. I would add more, but I think I fell asleep.” Brian snickered at her as she smiled cheekily. “So how was your dad and Suzy?”

“They were actually nice. I guess it’s sticking. And Brent was there too. I think he was excited for me,” Brian replied with a shrug. His father had been a lot nicer since he met his wife, Brian’s stepmother. It only got better once Brent, Suzy’s son, had gotten used to the new house and new people. Shay nodded, tucking a piece of her long hair behind her ear. It was near her mid back and she constantly contemplated cutting it off, but both Zack and Brian nearly beat her ass when she even suggested it. Whelp, what they didn’t know she had planned, wouldn’t hurt them. “How were your parents?”

“Oh. Uh, y’know - ” Shay fell silent at the look that Brian was giving her. She sighed, turning her back to him and leaning her side against the tree trunk. She plucked a leaf from the end of a higher branch as she ran it through her index finger and thumb. “They were busy and couldn’t show.”

Brian let out a sigh before Shay heard a rustle of movement. Soon she was being pushed gently to her left so he could shimmy himself between the tree and her body. He pulled her into his chest as he turned her to face away from him in the same movement. Shay sighed, leaning back against him and allowing him to wrap his arms around her shoulders. He rested his chin on her head and hummed a random tune. Shay had to admit she was going to miss the comfort Brian offered her any time she was upset and didn’t know what to do with herself. Zack was a pretty good helper, but with how long Brian and her had known each other, he couldn’t quite match up.

“I’m sorry, Shay. One day they’ll beat themselves up on how little they were there for you,” Brian whispered after a few minutes. Shay rolled her eyes before she tightly shut them.

“I doubt it. Running off to Los Angeles to major in psychology? Last time I checked, psychology was neither lawyer or writer material,” Shay retorted.

“But it’s University of California!”

“Which isn’t Harvard nor Emory. They think that if I’m not following in their footsteps that nothing I do will be good enough. They think I’m foolish and just chasing after Zack.”

Which was very untrue. Shay loved psychology and UCLA was the place she was determined to go. Not only was it one of the best colleges for psychology, it was only an hour away from home. She could come back and see the friends that were staying behind in Huntington Beach whenever she could. It wasn’t until after Shay had already gotten her acceptance letter that Zack had dropped the bomb he had also applied, getting his own acceptance for their music/musicology department. So they had decided to room together, finding an apartment close enough to the college that they could walk if it came down to it.

“Well, we all know it’s not what’s going on and that’s all that matters. We’re proud of you, Shay. I know we all are,” Brian assured, giving her a soft squeeze. “So fuck your parents.”

“Such a nice way to end an uplifting speech,” Shay chuckled with a wide smile.

“Of course. Public speaking was always my best asset,” Brian joked.

“So what are your plans for the night?” Shay questioned.

“Work,” Brian spoke with an apologetic tone to his voice. Within the last few months, he had picked up two part time jobs. One was working in a club as security and the other was helping with moving furniture in town and the nearby ones. Shay still wasn't very sure how the club one had worked out seeing as how you had to be twenty-one to step foot on the premises, but he had just informed her that he ‘had connections’. Whatever that meant in his world.

“Do you have any free time off?” Brian shook his head into the crook of her neck where he had decided to burrow his face for the time being. Shay frowned, a deep sadness tugging at her heart. “So you mean...?”

“I can’t see you off,” Brian murmured into her skin with his own amount of sadness emphasizing every syllable. Shay fell silent again after that. What was she supposed to say? ‘It’s okay’? ‘Make sure to be here when I come back to visit’? ‘I’ll miss you’? None of them seemed appropriate enough for the betrayal she felt. She knew it wasn't his fault, but it hurt nonetheless. “Should I go?”

“No,” Shay spoke instantly, clinging to his arm. As much as she was upset, it would only be worse if he left her now. Brian rested back against the tree, pulling her closer to his chest. “Why would you suggest something like that? I need as much time as I can get with you before I leave.”

“I’m sorry. It was insensitive of me,” Brian spoke, kissing her temple.

“So what about you? What are you planning to do once I leave?”

“Work. Attend the community college. Then just see where is goes from there,” Brian replied with a light shrug. “Why are you and Zack heading off so early anyways?”

“We got a better deal to leave and move in this month. Besides, we both have to hurry and find jobs over the summer to help support us through UCLA. With how good of a school it is, it’s going to cost a pretty penny, even with our small scholarships,” Shay explained. Brian nodded his understanding.

“Any clue where you’d try?”

“Well bookstores, retail, and waitressing places would be my first tries. If anything, there are plenty of clubs,” Shay said after a moment’s pause. Brian chuckled.

“As long as you’re not the stereotypical girl becoming a stripper to pay for the tuition. I don’t need to take a stroll down in Los Angeles and see my best friend’s tits flying around everywhere,” Brian replied, making Shay wrinkle her nose.

“Gross. No. I don’t even have the body for that shit. And no, I’m not saying I have a bad body image, okay?” Shay cut off, knowing Brian was opening his mouth to argue. “Do you know the kind of shit strippers do on those poles? You have to be pretty athletically fit. I’m fucking lazy, dude.”

“I never thought about that,” Brian spoke thoughtfully. “I have a new appreciation for strippers.”

“Glad I stopped some of the stripper shaming,” Shay joked, rolling her eyes.

The two fell silent for a while until Brian broke it. Hesitantly he spoke, “Shay?”

“Mm?” Shay hummed, feeling drowsy as she focused on Brian’s breathing. The sunlight streaming through the branches and leaves felt like a deep kind of relaxation that Shay couldn't describe. It was like she was at her real home, laying here with Brian. He was her knight in shining armor and he proved it time and time again.

“Don’t forget me, okay?” Shay instantly whipped around, pushing herself away from Brian. Her eyes were narrowed and her eyebrows were furrowed together. She didn't know whether to be sad or angry he would think she could do such a thing.

“I would never! I've known you for ten years, how could I just forget you?” Shay demanded.

Brian shrugged helplessly. “You’re moving on with your life. I’m going to stay here and practically be a bum. If you find bigger and better things, I don’t want you to think I’m holding you back, but I don’t want to become another face in the crowd.”

“Brian, you've saved me time and time again over the last decade. Honestly, I’d probably be dead if I didn't have you.” Brian opened his mouth to protest, but Shay shook her head. “Seriously. If you wouldn't have found me so many years ago, I probably would have killed myself. I thought I was scum until I met you and you took me under your wing. So, no matter who I meet or what I do, I will never forget you, Brian.”

Brian stared at her for a long time before finally pulling her into his chest again, burying his face into the crook of her neck again. This time she felt tears on her shoulder. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled his body close to hers. She hummed a random tune, petting his hair affectionately as she waited for him to calm down. This was how they sat for a long time before Brian finally calmed enough to have Shay climb into his lap. She curled into him as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

Kissing her hair, he murmured, “I love you, Shay.”

“I love you too, Bri.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I almost forgot again. If you are subscribed to one of my other stories, sorry there hasn't been updates lately. Work is taking a lot out of me, among other shit going on. I will update as soon as possible.