The Tree

six

“Quinn!” The woman climbing out of the car snapped. The girl turned to face her, her green eyes wide in surprise, and just barely managed to gain balance from the pause she had made in her skip. The woman couldn't help her soft smile and knelt down to the younger’s height, tucking a loose strand of black hair behind her ear. “Remember, stay by the house and don’t wander off.”

“Got it Mama,” Quinn vowed before running back towards the house, her giggles floating across the air. She was babbling excitedly to the air as she ran around the front yard, unconcerned when one of her parents would open the front door. As the woman stood to her full height again, two muscular arms wrapped around her waist. She sighed, leaning back into the toned chest behind her and absentmindedly tracing the tattoos that littered the arms.

“She’ll be fine,” the rough voice whispered to her, making their bodies sway left to right. “You just worry too much.”

“I know,” she sighed, watching the little girl twirl around with her bear’s paws grasped tightly in her hands. She was laughing and squealing before tumbling to the grass. A faint smile crossed both adults’ faces as they watch the little girl spread out on the lawn, holding her bear above her head. She tore her gaze away from the little girl in the lawn to stare up at the top of the hill. The willow tree, as large and mysterious as ever, was gently swaying in the breeze.

Though the woman couldn't see the man behind her, she knew he was also observing the tree. Finally, after a few moments, he asked, “Do you want to head up there?”

“No,” she spoke firmly, walking out of his embrace and turning slightly on her heels to face him. His green eyes were shining with worry, his mouth in a deep frown. She smiled, planting a kiss on his cheek. “We have things to do, Zack. We don’t have time to mess with my childhood memories.”

“We can make time, Shay,” her husband argued, narrowing his eyes ever so slightly. “It’s not like we’re going anywhere any time soon.”

“Therefore it can wait until we’re settled in,” Shay remarked with a small smirk. Zack studied her for a few more moments before sighing and slumping his shoulders. She grinned and kissed him on the lips this time. When she pulled back he tried to chase after her, but she placed a hand on his jaw, chuckling. “Now, now. Quinn is right there.”

“She’s distracted,” Zack mumbled, placing his hands on her hips and pulling her forward into his body. She chuckled, patting his cheek.

“And our friends are right behind you.” Zack groaned, burying his face into her shoulder as a cat call was heard from the end of the driveway. A group of people started forward and the tallest was smirking widely.

“Damn, man. Didn’t think we’d get a show,” Jimmy snorted.

“Even if there was a show, you’d turn your head away you perv,” the short woman next to him scolded, smacking his arm. He smiled, leaning down to place a kiss on her cheek.

“Of course, Leana. I’m just sayin’.” Leana rolled her eyes at her husband before the group began to trade hugs. Quinn even strolled over, all the adults bursting with excitement on ‘how tall’ she had gotten and ‘what beautiful hair’ she had. Since they hadn’t personally seen her (besides in pictures on Facebook) since she was five, two years ago, Shay and Zack weren’t really surprised how they reacted. Soon enough the moving van was pulling into the driveway, making everyone shift to the side of the pavement that was filled with the vehicle the family had arrived in.

Out of it climbed Mattie, who began to stretch, his back popping obnoxiously loudly. He groaned and turned to the rest of the group. “Seriously, you guys should pay me for that. Do you realize how boring it is driving in a truck by yourself from Los Angeles all the way home?”

“You seemed pretty content when I looked back and you were screaming along to Katy Perry,” Zack scoffed. Mattie blushed, rolling his eyes.

“You couldn’t tell what I was listening to.”

“You forget that I studied everything in the music business, including how words look coming off of people’s lips. So should I give the exact chorus I saw you singing?”

“Y’know what? I don’t give a shit. Hot And Cold is extremely catchy and she is hot as fuck.” With that Mattie gave an overdramatic ‘z-snap’ before heading to the back of the van to open the large door. Everyone chuckled before following him. Well, minus Quinn, Leana, and the expecting-Val. It was a couple of hours before everyone ultimately decided that the last few boxes could wait until after lunch and a short break.

“How do boxes weigh so much?” Johnny groaned, laying across the carpet in the living room. The couches were already packed and Zack sat in his armchair, Shay being pulled into his lap. Mattie and Lacey sat with him on the floor as pizza boxes were passed around the group, the slices slowly disappearing the more times it passed around. They had decided to set up the television and DVD on top of the stand and watch Beauty and the Beast for a while. It would end up entertaining the three girls who were benched while they finished their work later.

“Because they get filled with crap,” Matt scoffed from his spot next to Val. He had his head buried in the crook of her neck as he rubbed small circles on her baby bump. Val was smiling, running her fingers through his growing hair.

“Excuse me, my stuff is not crap,” Shay argued, glaring playfully at the muscular man. He rolled his eyes in mock annoyance and ‘pff’ed at her.

“I have to agree with Matt. At least on the extensive collection of penguin figurines,” Zack remarked. Shay let out an over exaggerated gasp, climbing to her feet as she threw her hands over her head dramatically.

“My own husband turned against me! What a rude group of people. I don’t have to take this,” Shay spoke in fake anger as she ‘stomped’ over to the backdoor. She shot the smiling group a wink before slipping out the door, Quinn not even paying attention as she watched the kitchen utensils dance on the table top. Once she was outside and a few feet from the house, she took a deep breath in through her nose. She peered up at the tree again, this time with her left hand shielding her eyes from the sunlight. With a moment of indecision, she began to trudge up the side of the hill.

Once at the top she had to freeze with her hands placed firmly on her hips. The older she got, the smaller the city really seemed to be. She couldn't believe so much was really just sitting there and going unviewed for so many years. It made her smile to know she could enjoy it yet again. She peered up at the limbs of the tree and grinned. Doing what no woman would typically attempt to do at her age would probably attract a lot of attention if anyone could see her. She plopped down on her familiar branch, sinking happily against the trunk. She produced a cigarette pack from her pocket and carefully slipped it between her lips before lighting the end.

It was about halfway through her smoke when Shay heard a rustling on the branch next to her. With a smile, she turned to find a man about Zack’s age. His hair was short and somewhat reminded Shay of a poofy fohawk. He wore jeans which were tight in the legs, but pretty relaxed everywhere else and a white v-neck. His feet were shoved into a pair of red Doc Martens which were barely tightened at all. His arms and visible chest were covered in monsters and Marlboro was stamped across his knuckles. He held her gaze with his lively brown eyes and his lips were in a soft, one-sided smile.

“I thought I was supposed to disappear.”

“I thought so too. But now Quinn has Marcie and I can’t help but thinking of you all the time. Doesn't exactly help moving back home,” Shay remarked, flicking the ashes off her cigarette. Quinn had her own imaginary friend and they played all the time.

“Why did you decide to move back home?” Shay raised an eyebrow and he rolled his eyes dramatically. “Oh, c’mon. Just because I am part of you doesn't mean I don’t like conversation. You have put me away for a while.”

“Fine, fine. You win,” Shay spoke with a ghost of a smile. “Besides the fact that no one wanted the poor, old thing, we missed it. Los Angeles was okay, but nothing like Huntington Beach. Here there’s no annoying traffic or five million companies jam packed into one spot and not all those damn paparazzi swarming the area. It’s nice and calm. I know Quinn’s already seven so we should have done this a long time ago, but I would feel better with her growing up somewhere like this.”

“What if she decides she wants to go back in the future?” Brian asked.

“Then that’s her choice. I’m not going to hold her back.”

Brian nodded with a real grin. At that moment, he looked down at himself, his left eyebrow slowly raising. He eventually made contact with Shay’s eyes again and gave a soft snort. “As your subconscious I have to ask, why the hell did I suddenly look like this?”

“Well, that’s a mix of random fads I see and the fact I still think you look like you’d be a drug dealer,” Shay answered with a small shrug and no sign of remorse. Brian pursed his lips together, staring at her with no amusement on his face.

“Does a small part of you aspire to be a damn drug dealer?”

“Maybe.”

“Don't even joke like that. You’d be shot dead in a minute.” Shay just smiled at him, the corners of her eyes wrinkling. Brian shook his head lightly with his own small smile on his lips. “I remember you told me before I should be a model. How about that? Do you wanna be a model?”

“I used to think about it,” Shay admitted, leaning back and running a hand through her short hair up front. The back of it ran down to the nape of her neck, but the rest was short and poofed up very slightly on its own accord. “But there’s too much pressure and no privacy for that line of business. I’ll stick to being a psychologist any day.”

“That reminds me, what about your patients?”

“They’ll be okay. I had a partner back in Los Angeles and he can take care of them just as well as I did.”

“A friend, huh?”

“Matt Berry. His twin brother Jason was pretty cool, too,” Shay remarked. She paused a moment and sigh softly. “Oh fuck. I know too many damn Matts.”

“Berry, huh?” Brian paused, blinking and tapping his forefinger to his cheek. “That surname’s familiar. Why is that familiar?”

“Ironically enough, they attended Zack’s high school with the guys and also moved out to Los Angeles. Matt became a psychologist and Jason is a tattoo artist. He did a few for Zack and I when we lived there.”

“Oh, so that’s why you really gave me tattoos, huh?”

“Well, drug dealers need a lot to look intimidating.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “I forbid the talk of drug dealers now.”

“Aww. Don’t get all pouty on me.”

“I’m not,” Brian argued, though his lips were pursed. After a moment his face relaxed and he leaned back against the trunk of the tree. “So, you ever gonna bring Quinn up here or is it just your place?”

“No, Quinn can come. I’m at least bringing her once, in a week or so. Once I’m sure she’s settled in okay. If she wants to keep coming, that’s fine. If she doesn't, that’s fine too.”

“Y’know, I’m really happy with how you decided to raise Quinn.” Shay raised an eyebrow at him as she rubbed out the cigarette on the bottom of her combat boot. She flicked the dead bud away as he continued to talk. “You aren't forcing anything upon her. You’re giving her free will instead of trying to control her. It’s like...”

“The opposite of how my parents did?” Brian shyly nodded in agreement. “That’s the point. I do love them, I really do, but I hated the way they treated me. I know they wanted to excel in their careers, but they should have been supportive of my dreams too. So I’m going to be there for Quinn and make sure she’s as happy as I can help her be.”

“My little girl’s all grown up,” Brian chuckled, ruffling Shay’s hair affectionately. She smiled, leaning into his touch. She slipped off her branch and sat in front of him, leaning back against his chest. “Christ, don’t break our only seat.”

“You forget the fact that you don’t actually weigh anything, Bri.”

“You are so mean to me. Maybe I should go away again.”

"That'd be nice."

“And now you've hurt me, Shay. I’m so upset,” Brian fake cried as he buried his face in the crook of her neck. Shay laughed, placing a hand on his poof of hair and petting the silky smooth locks. After a moment of fake crying Brian silenced himself. “So, is this the last time?”

“I would say yes, but it’s never the last time, Bri. We all know this. No one can say different.”

“But it’s supposed to be the last time, isn't it?”

“It would be smart to, but I still think of you from time to time and I end up wanting to see you. Especially now, since you’re a short walk away.”

“Y’know, technically you could have seen me any time you wanted,” Brian pointed out.

“No, no I can’t,” Shay argued, smiling. “Only here. Only at our tree.”

- - - -


It was many years later. So many years later that Shay would never admit how old she was. She smiled to herself as she had this thought. She pushed herself out of her chair and padded her way to the window. She peered up the hill where her tree had once stood and couldn't help a soft chuckle from leaving her lips. She could remember the exact day that tree came down. A week after her sixtieth birthday a lightning strike had snapped it down the center. She remembered crying that day and Zack holding her the entire time. The new tree they had planted never took root.

Shay let out a puff of air, frowning slightly as she tore her eyes away from the window to look at the picture sitting on the short bookshelf next to the window. A smiling picture of Zack and Shay on his ninetieth birthday stared at her. He had passed away two years ago from old age. He passed away in his sleep, painlessly, and Shay was happy enough with that. She knew he was with his family and the rest of their friends in the big concert in the sky.

A knock on the front door tore her from her thoughts. She shuffled across the room and pulled the door open. A woman, man, and two young children grinned at her. The little girl hugged her around the knees screaming, “Gram!”

“There’s my River! And Sammy,” Shay cooed, leaning down to hug not only her four year old granddaughter, but also her eight year old grandson. As she stood to her feet, with a little help from Sammy, the woman stepped forward to hug her.

“Hey Mom,” Quinn spoke, rubbing her back lightly.

“Hello baby. And Eric, good to see you.”

“You too, Shay,” Eric, Quinn’s long time husband, greeted, kissing her cheek as they hugged. She stepped to the side and ushered them in. The kids took to the floor, instantly getting engrossed in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as the adults took their spots on the couches. “How are you feeling today, Shay?”

“Like an old fart,” Shay chuckled. “Zack would laugh at me if he had the chance.”

“We’d laugh right back to remind him that he’s old, too, Mom,” Quinn laughed.

“Good. That’d show him.”

They all began to talk. As customary with old people, or as Shay decided to put it, they all began to talk and share stories about everyone’s younger days. Even the children tore themselves away from the movie to laugh at stories of their parents. It wasn't until late that night, when the kids were sprawled across the couches almost asleep that everyone chose that people should go home.

“I love you, Mom,” Quinn whispered as she held River in her arms. They gave each other a quick kiss on the cheek, including one on River’s crown, before Eric gave his own kiss. Once they were in the car and driving away, Shay entered her home again. She locked the door before heading into her long since lonely bedroom. She sat on the side on the bed, gripping the mattress below her. She looked to the ceiling and sighed softly.

“You’d be so proud of her, Zack. Well, I know you are, but I wish you could see her in person. Our little Quinn is all grown up and a big shot paralegal. And married to her big shot doctor husband.”

“Doctor’s aren't that big of a deal,” a voice scoffed. Shay looked to her doorway to see a familiar man. She smiled softly, relaxing. He pushed himself off the door and sat down next to her, his hands still in his pockets.

“You know, it’s considered rude for you to not age since we last saw each other,” Shay laughed. It was true. Brian’s form hadn't changed in thirty years and she felt a little cheated by it.

“Well you’re the one who couldn't picture me being old,” Brian pointed out. She grinned, nodding in agreement. “So what now?”

“I think it’s time, Bri,” Shay sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder. He slipped his right hand out of his pocket and laced his fingers with hers. He leaned his head on top of hers and sighed.

“I think so too, hun. You've lived a long and good life and I’m proud of you.”

“It’s nice to know I’m proud of myself,” Shay chuckled.

“You really should be. Some people live their entire lives without being proud of themselves. It’s something not a lot of people accomplish,” Brian pointed out. Shay nodded, eyes sliding shut. “Come on, let’s lay down.”

“Okay.” Shay eased herself onto the bed on her side. Brian pulled the cord on her lamp before sliding onto the bed in front of her, also turned onto his side so they were staring face to face. Shay placed her hands in front of her, grabbing his hands and lacing them together. Her green eyes bore into his brown ones and they stared for a few moments before she slipped her eyes shut. His kissed her forehead, beginning to hum a song under his breath as he petted her hair.

“I love you, Shay.”

“I love you too, Brian.”

And with that Shay slipped away into her sleep to never wake on this planet again. But while everyone was sad, she was not. She was finally reunited with her friends and family. At her funeral there were stories upon stories, laughs and tears. A statue was created in her honor from her years of helping people until her last days. And some say they've seen a man at her grave. A tall man, with high cheek bones and stunning brown eyes. And he continues to watch over her as she does the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is so overdue. I kept rewriting and rewriting it. I'm still not totally happy with this, but I hope it was good enough for you guys to still enjoy. Thanks a ton for continuing to read this and being so patient with me. I will eventually have new stories up, but for now I need to focus on my other two. So if you have yet, check them out, or just keep your eyes out for when I post new stories.

Love ya,
Tina.