A Million Miles Away

Chapter 3

“Amelia’s ex?”

“The one and only.”

“What the hell is he doing there?” Cristiano’s irritated. He knows who contacted Daniel. He never had an issue with Daniel, but seeing as how Amelia is basically a new piece of paper, Daniel could start all over with her.

“Apparently, he’s been helping Amelia with her recovery. Amelia found that box of memorabilia’s she had with Daniel and asked her brother if she can reach out to him so he could help her piece some things together.” Katia explains.

Cristiano groans, running his hand over his face. “This is fucking beautiful. Just what I needed.”

“Cristiano, I’m sure this is harmless, Daniel wouldn’t make a move on her while she’s like this.” Katia tries to reassure him. But Cristiano knows Daniel, he would stoop low.

“Believe me, I’m certain he would try to rewrite their history.”

“Well, Jay told me that Daniel’s not interested in her.”

“Yeah, bullshit.” Cristiano rolls his eyes. Daniel will always be interested in Amelia.

“I gotta go, but just keep in mind, its innocent. He’s just trying to help Amelia like all of us.” Katia is trying her best to reassure her brother. Who would be happy in his situation? She knows she could prevent all of this, but talking to Vince about this is useless. He would just not budge. “I’ll keep you updated during dinner.”

Katia hangs up, leaving Cristiano to his thoughts. He understands Daniel’s significance in Amelia’s life, he was her first love, having him around would definitely be helpful, but it doesn’t make sense to have him around, yet Vince refuses to let him be around Amelia. At times he had the urge to beat the living shit out of Vince, knock some sense into him. Vince hasn’t exactly been the model brother for Amelia, so he feels that the guy is trying to make up for lost time by being a “real” brother to her.

“How’s Katia’s day going?” Sergio questions as he takes a moment break from working out.

“Daniel is in town.” He completely ignores Sergio’s question.

“Daniel?” Iker joins in, taking a swig of water from the bottle. “What is that arrogant asshole doing in Madrid?”

“He’s helping Amelia with her recovery.” There is no muscle in Cristiano’s body that wanted to work out. He sits down on one of the benches, his two friends standing in front of him. This whole thing has been draining for him, all he wants is for everything to go back to normal. He misses her. Though at times he questions why didn’t he fight for her? He could take on Vince, shouldn’t be a task for him, but then again, he remembers that doing that wouldn’t exactly guarantee anything. Amelia might still shy away from him for beating the living shit out of her older brother.

“Vince got Daniel to help her?” Iker chuckles at his cousin’s stupidity. Everyone knows the story between Daniel and Amelia. Getting him on board isn’t really the ideal situation. He shakes his head. “His logic always amazes me.”

Sergio scratches his head, slightly clearing his throat. “Cristiano, I’m not trying to be an asshole, but maybe this is good for her.”

Iker and Cristiano’s eyes immediately drift towards Sergio, giving him an incredulous look. “What?!” They say in unison.

“Calm down, hear me out,” Sergio raises his hands up to his chest, his eyes darting between his two friends. “It’s been two years since the accident, Amelia has had some progress, but quite frankly, we need a catalyst to help speed up the process.”

“You think that Daniel is the one who can do that?” Iker raises an eyebrow at his friend. “Look, that arrogant prick will most likely just bring up bad memories for her, I think Cristiano over here could be the catalyst.”

Sergio looks at Cristiano who has remained silent. “Cristiano, I’m not saying this guy should have her, I highly doubt she’s thinking about dating when she doesn’t even know about half of her life.” He explains. “I just think that having Daniel around is good because he’ll eventually have to talk about you.”

“Daniel wouldn’t talk about me.” Cristiano scoffs at such an absurd idea. Daniel hates him, if he is to do something the only thing that pops up in Cristiano’s mind is Daniel burying him.

“On the contrary he would. I’m sure Amelia would like to know what happened when they broke up. You’re a part of their break-up, remember? You’re the one who had to break it to her that Daniel was leaving her.”

Cristiano knows that Daniel might edit the ending of his story with Amelia. To this day, he still couldn’t believe the guy did what he did. This guy didn’t even have the nerve to break-up with her. Daniel was accepted to a school in America that he’s been dreaming of attending ever since he was a child. He didn’t know how to tell Amelia, so he kept the relationship going till he left for America. Not having the heart to face her, he gave the letter to Cristiano to hand to her.

-------------------------------------------------------


Amelia opens the door for Cristiano, letting him in during a hot summer day in Portugal. The AC is on, keeping the house very cool. Today is Amelia and Cristiano’s usual movie night, but he has a heavy burden stashed in his back pocket. He’s not even sure why he agreed to do this douchebag’s dirty deed. He was so close to giving him a black eye as a going away present, but he didn’t. Following Amelia to the living room, he sees the usual set up already sprawled out on the coffee table.

“So, since it’s my treat tonight, I got us some pizza and wings because I’ve been craving them for the longest.” Amelia informs him. “If you’re on a diet or whatever for football, today is your cheat day.”

Cristiano chuckles at this, shaking his head. “Don’t worry, I can eat.”

“That’s what I like to hear!” Amelia brightly smiles at him, sitting down on the couch. “What are you waiting for? Sit down so we can get this party started.”

Cristiano sits beside her, staying far away from her. He feels guilty. Shit, he’s not the one who wrote this girl a break-up letter, but being the messenger is just as awful. This woman beside him has become his best friend, she’s as important as his family is to him. But he never saw her as a sister, still doesn’t. He’s not in love with her, but she’s definitely addicting. Friday nights shouldn’t be used for movie nights or whatever the fuck it is she wants to do, but here he is, two years in, still coming every Friday unless he’s training or has a game.

“Are you okay?” Amelia questions, observing Cristiano’s behavior. “You seem tense.”

“Long day at the pitch,” he shrugs. “So what movie did you end up picking?”

“Big Daddy and Mr. Deeds.” She points at the DVD cases on the coffee table. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Amelia, I’m fine,” he replies.

“Cristiano, is that psycho ex of yours back?”

Cristiano chuckles. “How do you come to that conclusion?”

“I don’t know,” she shrugs. “Seems fitting.”

Cristiano laughs. “No, she’s not back.” He has to do it. It’s not or never. Whether he waits or not, nothing is going to change. She’s going to be heartbroken and she might end up hating him. “Amelia, Daniel came by my house earlier to drop something off for you.”

“Really?” Amelia raises an eyebrow. “Odd, why didn’t he just come here?”

Cristiano wanted to talk shit, to burry this asshole to the ground, but it’s not going to help the situation. He just slips the letter out of his pocket, handing it to her. “He was leaving it in my mail box when I got back from training.”

Amelia opens the letter, unfolding it. Her eyes scan the first three sentences, her heart dropping as she reads on further. Daniel left. She puts the letter on her lap, unable to read the rest of the letter. Taking a deep breath, she looks over at Cristiano. “I need you to leave.”

“Amelia, I’ll stay with you.” Cristiano tells her. Seeing the tears forming in her eyes, he can tell she’s trying her best to hold it in before it blows.

“No, please, go,” Amelia stands up, harshly gripping the letter. “I thought you’re my best friend, how can you let him leave?”

She’s talking nonsense. He knows this. Her heart has just been broken by the man she loves, her thinking process isn’t exactly that accurate right now. “Amelia, that’s not a fair question.”

Amelia didn’t reply and left the living room. He hears her footsteps going up the stairs, a door slamming afterwards.

“Fuck,” he murmurs.


-------------------------------------------------------


Even though she requested for him to leave, he didn’t. Well, technically he left to buy some ice cream since he knows how much the tasty treat helps her in some ways during her low points. But he stayed the whole night, waiting for her to come out of her room. She never did. Not even for dinner. Cristiano updated Jay about the situation when he got home from work. He too was upset about Daniel’s method, but there was nothing they could do at that point. They had dinner, hoping she would come out to eat, but she didn’t. Jay tried talking to her, but it was no use. They even went as far as calling over Cristiano’s family. Dolores eventually got in the room, but it was locked as soon as Dolores walked in the room.

Cristiano has never forgiven Daniel for what he did. They’ve ran into Daniel a couple of times in the past, while Amelia was civil, Cristiano didn’t give a shit. This man didn’t deserve anything from him, he would let them talk for a few minutes, before eventually dragging her away. He wasn’t insecure, thinking Daniel would come back in and sweep her off her feet. It was more like if he didn’t walk away, he would give him a nice black eye, the one thing he’s wanted to do ever since that summer. But he didn’t need a scandal, the press would have a field day.

“Yeah, but I’m sure Daniel would rewrite that.” Cristiano scoffs. “Daniel’s not a saint, he likes making himself look good.”

“Never said he was, but give him the benefit of the doubt.” Sergio replies. “If he lies about it, we can always break his head in.”

“How did she even contact him?” Iker cuts in.

“She found a box of memorabilia’s from their relationship. Started questioning it, so Vince made it happen.”

“This doesn’t make sense, you two have hundreds of pictures together.” Iker points out. “Hasn’t she tried looking through the internet, because the press would definitely give her something to think about.”

The press, miraculously enough, has left Amelia alone after the accident. Maybe it’s not moral for them to bombard a young girl who doesn’t even know who she is and most likely wouldn’t understand why they’re following her. Though when she would go out with Erica, the paparazzi came then and that she understood, except the tabloids usually refer to her as Cristiano’s ex-girlfriend. Maybe if she picks up a tabloid one day, she’ll see the reference and question it.

“Vince stripped out her whole room, technically that box wasn’t supposed to be there.”

“I’m not sure who’s a bigger asswipe, Vince or Daniel.” Sergio ponders. “Wait, if she has that box, then the letter must be there.”

“Wish I can tell you it’s there, but when Amelia and I were beginning our relationship, she burned the letter.” Cristiano runs his fingers through his short hair. “Vince is taking this too far. Even though Daniel and Amelia had their closure and are friends to some extent, he didn’t need to have him around Amelia like this.”

“At times, I worry about Vince’s well-being, he doesn’t seem like he’s in the right state of mind.” Iker shakes his head. “Jay has never mentioned him.”

“I think Jay is just open to any ideas that would help her.” Cristiano replies before letting out a sigh.

At this point, he’s at wits end. He’s not sure what he should do to convince Vince that having him around is a good thing for her. When he sees her, few of the rare times that he does, it is always difficult for him. All he wants to do is drag her out of there, speak to her, tell her how important he was in her life, but he couldn’t. Vince stuck to her like glue, veering her away from his direction.

All he needs is a moment alone with Vince, to convince him to let him talk to Amelia. If he doesn’t listen, he doesn’t give a fuck anymore. He’ll talk to Amelia whether Vince wants it or not.

It’s time for him to be selfish.

-------------------------------------------------------


Erica walks in the auto repair shop that Vince owns. She needs an oil change and as much as she would love to do it herself, she didn’t have time to change her oil anytime soon. Besides, it’s always handy to have your best friend’s older brother own an auto shop, he does her oil change for free. Besides that, he needs to talk to Vince about Cristiano and Amelia.

Thanks to his connections to the street racing world, customers flock the repair shop. Though they do a variety of repairs and work for cars, street racers are where his shop makes the most money. Tuning up a car is a fun activity for Vince. He’s always had a passion for cars, learning a couple of things from his old man.

Erica finds him sitting behind his desk, working away on his computer. He’s most likely checking how his schedule for the day is going to be.

Each mechanic had his or her own agenda that they usually specialize in. Vince is fortunate enough to have a few mechanics who knows almost everything there is to know about a car.

Vince makes his way out of his office and bumps into Erica. “Shit, sorry,” he looks up and rolls his eyes. “Oh, it’s just you,”

Erica laughs, smacking his stomach. “You’re such a grump nowadays.” She gives him a hug.

“Gonna be a long day,” Vince sighs. “What’s up?”

“Can you do a quick oil change for me?” Erica questions.

“I knew your bratty ass just came here for that.” Vince laughs. “Of course, did you pull your car up at the usual spot?”

“Of course,” Erica smiles, handing him the keys.

“Baby daddy knows you’re here?” Vince questions.

“Sergio doesn’t need to know where I am all the time.”

Erica and Sergio have been friends even before he moved to Madrid. They’ve known one another ever since they were teenagers. When Sergio moved to Madrid at the tender age of nineteen, Erica followed along, deciding to go to university there. Though she’s told many people that her decision to go to Madrid was for education, everyone and their mothers knew it was for Sergio. At that time, she and Sergio was not an item, just friends, at least on Sergio’s part. It’s not that Erica was ugly before, Sergio just never noticed her. Around his third season in Madrid, Erica lets out to him that she’s been in love with him ever since she was thirteen years old. Problem was, Sergio was in a committed relationship and Erica was moving to Manchester for a year to study abroad. The morning after her confession, Erica pretended not to remember anything, as did Sergio. But she knew what she did and it caused a strain in their relationship.

In Manchester she met Amelia, that’s how their friendship began. At that time, Amelia was already dating Cristiano. She got close to the couple, appreciating their support as she was new to England. But thanks to her dinners with the couple, Sergio was able to keep track of her. She lied the day before she was leaving, telling him she was going to Italy instead of England. For her, the relationship she once had with Sergio would never be the same. The tabloid pictures that had her walking with Amelia confirmed to Sergio where she was.

At first, he was angry at her for lying, but he understood what she was doing. He felt like an absolute idiot for not seeing what she was doing. He didn’t feel the same about her, so he decided not to go after her, but he did bombard her with text messages. For a week he texted her, no reply whatsoever, but finally her mother told him that she changed her number. He asked for the new one, but she told him that he would have to ask Erica.

That bothered Sergio.

Erica was always the person behind him, it was them against the world. If she didn’t like the girl he was dating, they were done before the next day. He didn’t want to hurt her, that’s why he didn’t want to call her. But after three months of not speaking to one another, Sergio was going insane. His girlfriend understood at first, but then it got to the point where she didn’t understand why Sergio was so frustrated.

He was slowly gaining his sanity back then he saw the pictures of her with his Cesc Fabregas.

-------------------------------------------------------


Erica walks up the flight of stairs towards the apartment she’s currently sharing with Amelia. There’s an elevator, but since she hasn’t had time to work out at the gym, this is her workout, while carrying two bags full of groceries. Finally, she reaches the third floor where her apartment is located.

“Elevator next time, no need to kill myself over this,” she says to herself as she walks down the hall. Placing the bag on the floor once she reaches the door, she fishes the keys out of her pocket, but before she can even turn the door knob, it opens revealing a tense looking Amelia. She hears Cristiano’s voice and another that sounds familiar, but would be impossible to hear in Manchester. “Thanks, remind me never to take the elevator when I go grocery shopping.” She lets out a laugh as she picks up the groceries once again.

She tries to come in, but Amelia is blocking her path. Moving to the other side, Amelia blocks it once again. “Amelia, I’m exhausted, let’s not play a game right now.”

Before Amelia could open her mouth, a person speaks up, causing Erica to freeze. “You should let her in, since we have much to talk about.” It’s Sergio. But that couldn’t be. She left him in Madrid, he’s supposed to stay in Madrid. Now she realized what Amelia was doing, warning her.

Cristiano appears behind Sergio, giving her a small, encouraging smile. “Babe, let’s go, you know Jay hates waiting when it comes to food.” He wraps an arm around Amelia, saying his goodbyes to Sergio. Amelia gives her an apologetic look, while Cristiano pats her head. “You’ll be fine.”

Sergio takes the groceries from Erica’s hands, who’s still frozen by the doorway. He notices this and pulls her inside, closing the door behind her. Leading her to the couch, he sits her down, sitting on the coffee table across from her.

“I’m not here to argue,” Sergio declares.

Erica, who is unable to utter a word, simply nods her head. It’s not like Sergio scares her, but he caught her off guard. She could live with seeing Sergio six months or so from now, because she’ll be ready then. But now, she’s not ready, she didn’t know how to react.

“I’m not even going to argue with you for changing your number, losing contact with me, driving me insane, ignoring me, the list goes on really,” she can tell Sergio wants to talk about it, that much is obvious. But she’s still trying to figure out what he’s doing here.

“You know, she told me that I’m in love with you, that the reason I’m scared to admit it because if I finally accept my feelings for you then it’ll confirm what I’ve been denying ever since I saw you all those years ago.” Sergio chuckles. “Fernando’s been telling me that we have an odd relationship because I’m too overprotective and I tell him that you’re my younger sister.” She cringes, hating it when he would refer to her as such. “But then I realized, I’ve never really seen you as my sister. I’m really selfish with you, I hate it when other people get close to you because you attention should only be focused on me.” Sergio’s not sure where he’s going with this. On the plane ride here, everything was planned out. He was going to scold her for even dating Cesc, knowing fully well he had a girlfriend, he was ready to do it and he was going to do it, until he saw her. He wasn’t that angry anymore. He just missed her. “When you left, I decided to give you space because of your confession. I was stupid and didn’t see you were pushing me away as well. I was slowly gaining my sanity back, but then I saw you with Cesc.”

Cesc, Erica’s head shoots up, her eyes finally meeting Sergio’s. Cesc Fabregas? What did he have to do with this?

“Cesc? What does he have to do with this?” Erica completely ignores his first statement, not willing to accept, to give in to the tiny hope that he might feel something for her as well.

“That’s the thing you’re going to comment on? You’re dating him!” He accuses.

“Excues me?! What?!” Erica’s appalled at the mere suggestion that she’s dating Cesc Fabregas. It is known by everyone that Cesc has been dating his girlfriend since they were teenagers. She’s not a home wrecker. How can Sergio even suggest that?

“I saw the pictures of you two together, you’re dating him.” He states.

Erica throws her head back laughing at Sergio’s accusation. She stands up and shakes her head. “You should leave, I’m not going to talk to you about this.”

“Why? Because you’re dating him? Erica, he has a girlfriend,” he continues, standing up along with her.

“Oh, let’s not go into the issue of cheating, Sergio,” she scoffs. “That’s like a murderer scolding a serial killer for killing someone.”

“But you’re not that kind of girl, why would you date Cesc of all people?”

“First of all, there is nothing wrong with Cesc Fabregas,” she rolls her eyes. “And second of all, I’m not dating him, I went out with him and his girlfriend, Carla just came in late.” She sighs. “If you’re done with falsely accusing me, can you leave? I have some work to do.”

Sergio feels like the world’s biggest asshole. They haven’t spoken in three months and here he is, accusing her of something that he could have figured out with a phone call to Cesc. He feels like an idiot.

“Erica,” he starts off. “I’m sorry, it just made me see red.”

“Don’t worry Sergio, I’m not dating, your radar needs to cool off,” she walks away, making her way to the kitchen to put the grocery away.

Sergio leaves her alone for a moment, thinking of his next plan. Once he decides, he follows her to the kitchen.

“She left,” he tells her.

“What?” Erica turns to him from her place in front of the fridge. “Who left?”

“My girlfriend, she left me.”

“I’m sorry Sergio,” the Erica he knows immediately comes back, concern clearly shown on her face. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” he shrugs. “She left because she told me she couldn’t be with someone who had feelings for another person.”

“Oh god, Sergio, you’re messing around with another girl? I thought she was it?” It hurt saying those words, but Sergio said this about his former girlfriend. “Where’d you meet the new girl?”

“I’ve known her.”

“One of our friends?” Erica turns, thinking of who he can possibly have feelings for. “Well, almost everyone in our group has a boyfriend. Who is she?” It scares her how they haven’t talk for months, yet here they are, talking normally like nothing ever happened.

“She’s you.”

-------------------------------------------------------


After that day, everything changed for her and Sergio. They didn’t immediately date, but once she came back to Spain, their relationship began. Their relationship had many bumpy roads, being together for three years didn’t mean their relationship would be smooth sailing, but everything changed when her parents divorced. She closed him off, eventually breaking up with Sergio. They get along now, but they’re not back together, even if they’ve had a child together. Their bundle of joy was born two years ago. Things began to fall into place, though they’re no longer together, they are committed to raising their child together.

“Just making sure, don’t want paparazzi catching you here and he’ll think you’re cheating.” Vince teases making Erica smack his side.

“Shut up, I’m not even with Sergio.”

“You should be.”

“I don’t need this lecture again.”

“Sergio’s not your father, Erica. He’s not going to leave you.”

Erica’s parents are divorced. Her relationship with her father hasn’t exactly been dandy since then. She couldn’t be with Sergio. The reality hit her that it’s not happily ever after and that scared her. Her parents were together for twenty-five years and look where they are now, living in different houses, no longer together. It scared her since her parents always seemed so happy. A carpet was pulled under her feet and she couldn’t get back up from that fall.

“Look, can you just change the oil?”

Vince laughs, calling someone to work on her car. He leads her to his office, sitting down across from her. “You should stop this stupidity. Obviously you both want to get back together.”

“I can’t.”

“You’re frustrating, he wants to fight for you, but he can’t cause he knows you don’t need that right now.” He rolls his eyes. “You two are both stubborn and belong together.”

“Just like Amelia and Cristiano.”

“Don’t start.”

“Vince, honestly, Cristiano is harmless.” Vince is stubborn, hardly listens to anyone. Everyone agrees that he’s being a selfish prick. Erica’s not certain why no one has forced him to change his mind, but here they are now, having a conversation they’ve had countless of times.

“Yeah, look, I rather not discuss him.”

Erica rolls her eyes. “You’re impossible. She’s an adult, you can’t keep protecting her. She needs him, you’ll eventually have to live with that.”

“Yeah, well till she regains her memory, I don’t think I have to worry about him.”

“You are such an asshole.” Erica shakes her head. “So instead of having her boyfriend around her, you call her ex-boyfriend who broke up with her over a letter?”

“Look, Daniel is not a bad guy.” Vince defends.

“Yeah, well Cristiano isn’t either.” Erica retorts. “The fact you’re trying to control what she remembers is not only selfish, but fucked up. Maybe that’s why she’s taking long to remember everything, cause you’re not being honest with her.”

“No offense Erica, but you don’t exactly have the right to tell me how to handle my sister.”

“You’re right, I don’t,” Erica nods her head. “I’m not telling you how to handle your sibling, I’m advising you on how to prevent her from hating you. Cause she’s going to remember all of this when her memory comes back, just keep that in mind.”

Erica leaves Vince alone so she can check on the conditions of the cars. Vince knows Erica’s right, lying to her, holding certain memories from her is unfair, but at the same time he can’t help it. He sighs, knowing one day he’s going to have to talk to Cristiano, to apologize to him. But that day isn’t today.

-------------------------------------------------------


Amelia exits the school building, sighing at the amount of work she would have to do this coming weekend. She fishes her phone out of her pocket to call Vince so he can pick her up from school. Ever since the accident two years ago, she hasn’t been allowed to drive. At first she thought it was for safety precautions, but at this point she knows it’s because of their paranoia that she might die behind the wheel. The concern is greatly appreciated, but she hates having to call them just so they can pick her up. She offered to take public transportation, but that’s just an absurd idea.

Before she can make the phone call, her phone is snatched out of her hands. For a moment, panic surges through her, until she her eyes land on the culprit’s face.

“Daniel!” She shouts angrily, reaching for her phone. “That’s not cool!”

“Hey! Watch it brat, how can you greet me like that?” He questions, holding the phone high and out of her reach. “You haven’t seen me for a couple of months and you treat me like this?”

Amelia pouts, giving up on getting her phone. “If you weren’t being an ass then maybe I would give you a more appropriate greeting.” She replies, glaring at the tall man before her.

Daniel laughs, patting her head. “Here you go, you might cry if I don’t give you your phone back.” He hands her phone back to her.

“Meanie face,” she rolls her eyes. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“Have some business to attend to so I decided to visit my favorite person in Madrid.” He smiles down at her.

“Daniel, there are no hookers in my school.” She replies, the smile on Daniel’s face is immediately wiped off.

“For that, I’m leaving your ass stranded here.” He turns to walk away from her, knowing she’ll end up following him.

“That’s fine, I’ll tell Vince to pick me up.” She looks down at her phone to call her brother, but once again, Daniel takes away her phone.

“Jeez, can’t take a joke,” he wraps an arm around her shoulders. “I don’t need my ass kicked, so let’s go to my car and I’ll take you out for lunch.”

Amelia grabs her phone from his hands. “Okay, fine,” she smiles. “I’m happy you’re here.”

“Believe me, so am I.” Daniel returns her smile.

Amelia’s not sure how everything with Daniel started, obviously her memory is not back. But Daniel gladly told her their story. They were together all throughout high school, breaking up during their first year of college.

She found a box containing letters Daniel wrote for her back when they were dating and a few pictures of the two of them together. It was comforting to see a part of her romantic past because her brothers didn’t exactly talk about that part of her past. After some convincing, Vince reached out to Daniel, explaining the situation and next thing she knows, he’s at their front door step.

At first she was quiet, observing him and finally, he pulled her out of her shell and she became comfortable with him the more they spoke to one another. He made things easier for her, to remember some of the memories her brothers couldn’t explain to her.

Daniel opens the door for her, letting her slide inside, closing the door once she’s fully inside. He makes his way over to his side, entering the car as well.

“How’s therapy?” Daniel questions as he turns on his car, driving out of the university parking lot.

“It’s okay,” Amelia shrugs. “I’m not really sure how to answer that.”

“I guess I should rephrase the question, have you remembered anything lately?” Daniel asks.

“I remember my brother’s bullying me when I was a child.” Amelia replies making Daniel laugh.

“That’s good, yet upsetting.” Daniel looks over at her. “Anything about your recent past?” Vince explained the situation concerning Cristiano to Daniel. He didn’t agree with Vince’s idea, but he respected his wishes. Though he finds it idiotic to not mention Cristiano, especially seeing how the two were engaged.

“Sadly no, I remember our high school graduation and how we got drunk senseless.” She smiles. “Other than that, it depends really. I would get spots of memories, none of them really make sense.” Amelia wants her memory back. This is hard for her. Walking around in the house she lives in, she feels like a stranger, taking someone else’s life. Though she knows the person is her, she doesn’t even recognize this person.

At times she would get memories of her parents, taking her to her first day of school and how she cried out for them, not wanting to go to school, but she had no other choice. Then the flashback would stop and that was that. She wants to remember everything in one go, but she knows that’s impossible. The thing that frightens her is that she might never remember who she was and she’s not even sure if that’s a good thing or not.

“It’ll happen, Amelia, just give it time.” Daniel encourages her.

“It’s been two years, this gets tiring.” Amelia sighs. “Could you imagine not knowing who you are, having people tell you all these great memories they have of you and you look at them blankly, hoping something would trigger something inside, but there’s absolutely nothing.”

“Amelia, you can’t give up. Don’t you want to remember everything?”

“Of course I do, but what if this happened for a reason? What if I lost my memory for a reason?”

Daniel isn’t sure how to answer that question. What could be the possible reason of her losing her memory? This isn’t done on purpose, there was an accident and this was the result.

“I don’t know, Amelia, but don’t give up, you’re going to remember everything and things will make so much more sense.”

“What if I don’t want to remember?”

Daniel stops at the stoplight, looking over at Amelia. “What nonsense is this?”

“I mean, I can start a new life, I have to explore the option that I might never remember everything.” Amelia explains. “If I remember everything, then I do, if not, then I guess that’s that.”

“True, starting over is not bad,” Daniel nods his head as the light turns green. “You can always start over in New York with me.”

He’s right. She can always start over in New York.
♠ ♠ ♠
AH! Long update everyone! My goal is to at least have ten pages per update, maybe even more. Either way, thank you for such lovely responses! I'm really glad you lovelies are liking it. Thank you! :D