A Million Miles Away

Chapter 4

Daniel gets off work and makes his way to the bakery to pick up the cake he picked out for his cousin. It’s the least he could do after boarding that plane and leaving all those years ago. Though he’s been back in Spain for quite some time, putting his degree to use, he hasn’t spent any amount of time with his family for the longest time. Then again, he always thought that they had grown resentment towards him for leaving. When he left all those years ago, he didn’t just leave Amelia, but his family as well. He’s never been proud of walking away, still isn’t, but he couldn’t exactly change the past now.

Once he has the cake in the car, he drives over to Cristiano’s home, where the dinner is going to be held. He’s excited, yet nervous to arrive. Today is the day he’s going to see them after numerous of years. Though they’ve exchanged a few emails and text messages here and there, they haven’t exactly seen each other face to face over the years. The person that he owes the most is Cristiano’s mother, Dolores. Though they’ve spoken, he feels like he needs to prove to her that he’s still her nephew. Walking away from the Aveiro’s was difficult, but he had too. He couldn’t stay in Portugal, he had to start anew in Spain.

He arrives at his cousin’s home, sliding out of his car once he turns the ignition off. Pushing the door close, he locks the car and makes his way to the front door, ringing the doorbell. This shouldn’t be nerve wrecking, but he couldn’t help it. He began to tap his fingers on the side of his leg, waiting for the door to open. A voice is heard from behind the door, yelling that they’re coming. The door opens and there standing in her navy blue sleeveless, knee length dress with a rounded neckline falling above the color bone.

“Happy Birthday lovely!” Daniel greets her, holding out the cake towards her.

A smile spreads across Katia’s face, squealing at the return of her prodigal cousin. Cristiano would have a field day about this. “Daniel!” She wraps her arms around him, pulling away so she can pinch his cheeks, a tradition they’ve had since they were children. “I feel absolutely blessed to be graced by your presence.”

“Haha,” Daniel rolls his eyes. “How can you even say that? It’s your birthday! Of course I’ll come see you.”

“Yeah, you better, I already have Cristiano’s name on my list, I would have gladly added yours if you didn’t come especially if you’re in town.” Katia gestures for him to come inside her house, closing the door behind him. She leads him to the kitchen where she’s finishing off some of the food she’s serving. “I expected you to come with Amelia.”

“I was, but she needed a nap so I decided to buy you a cake and catch up with you.” Daniel replies. He looks around, raising an eyebrow. “Where’s everyone else?”

“Always know how to soften me up,” she teases, placing a bowl of mashed potato on the dining table. Daniel sits by the island counter, placing the cake he brought for her on the counter. “Mama is upstairs getting her phone, Elma is in Portugal with Hugo. They were supposed to come, but something came up.”

Dolores then waltzes in the kitchen, immediately wrapping her arms around Daniel. She recognizes Daniel’s faults, but for her, family is family. “Daniel,” she says lovingly, pulling away from him. “Next time you do this, not seeing as for a number of years, I will hunt you down and pull you back to Portugal.”

Daniel laughs. “Sorry Tia, I just needed to grow up on my own.”

“You did, but that didn’t mean family was to be put aside.” Dolores sighs. “But I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Thank you,” he kisses her cheek, hugging her once more.

“What’s been going on Daniel? Is your business degree doing you any good?” Katia questions as Dolores resumes cooking as Daniel sits down on the empty counter.

“Actually is, I’m currently helping Vince out with his auto shop.” Daniel proudly states. “It’s not much, but it’ll be nice to learn a thing or two from Vince.”

“I highly doubt you want to learn anything from Vince, but why not?” Katia shrugs. “That’s all your involved in?”

“I’m not racing again,” he informs her. Daniel had a past in the street racing community as well, but that has all been forgotten ever since he moved away. “What makes you question that?”

“I’m just asking, I know the type of business Vince is in, I wouldn’t want you anywhere near it.” Katia is fully aware of Vince’s illegal activity and has scolded him far too many times, but you can never sway a stubborn man. The last thing she would need is for Daniel to be involved as well. “I assume you know of his side business.”

“I do, and that’s his matter, not mine.” Daniel hops off his seat, grabbing the cake to place it in the refrigerator. “It is pure stupidity, but I wouldn’t tell Vince what he should or should not do.”

“Well then maybe you can help me convince him to let Amelia talk to Cristiano.” Katia places a couple more trays on the table, to complete everything. She’s sure that Vince and his siblings will be here shortly and he wanted to have everything ready. Though she has more friends than Vince, she decided that tonight would be a family dinner and that’s what Vince and his family are to her.

“Katia, we’ve spoken about this,” Dolores says warningly.

“Mom, I know that, but you can’t ignore this. Are you really going to let Vince act like this?” Katia turns to her mother.

Daniel’s eyes travels over to Dolores who’s attention is focused on Katia. “They are grown men, if they are fighting, that’s their problem to solve.” She turns back to her cooking. “Though I think this is pointless seeing as Amelia needs all of us, closing Cristiano off is a horrible idea.”

Katia rolls her eyes. “Vince is such a pain,” she turns to Daniel. “So, are you going to help?”

“Been trying for the last six months and he’s not budging.” Daniel is devilish, but he wouldn’t exactly erase Cristiano from Amelia’s life. He’s aware of what Cristiano is to Amelia, they spoke about her. Cristiano and Daniel were close, but after Daniel’s stunt, Cristiano was angry at him for putting him in the situation that he should have been in. Though they’re a bit better now, especially after their talk concerning Amelia a couple years back, they still didn’t exactly see eye to eye. “Vince has no right to bar Cristiano from her life and I’m not sure how the hell this has been going on for as long as it has.”

“You should call Cristiano, to let him know what’s going on.” Katia suggests.

“I don’t think I’m his favorite person right now. I haven’t exactly been truthful with him.”

“What do you mean?”

“I haven’t told Cristiano that I’m speaking to Amelia again.”

Katia chuckles. “I know,” she shakes her head. “I told him this morning and his reply wasn’t exactly pleasant.”

“Damn it, Katia,” Daniel runs his fingers through his short brownish blonde hair. “You couldn’t let me have this one?”

“In my defense, I assumed that he has known for quite some time.” Katia holds up her hands to her chest. “Just talk to him, I’m sure he’s dying to know whether you’ve told Amelia about how you left her.”

“I haven’t,” Daniel sighs.

“Daniel,” she says in a scolding tone. “How can you not tell her?”

“How can I tell her?” Daniel counters. “Amelia is confused Katia, she doesn’t need to be put in further turmoil by my confession as to why I left her all those years ago.”

“Yes, but you’re not exactly being truthful with her either.” Katia rolls her eyes. “Daniel, you’re going to make a mess.”

“I am not,” Daniel argues weakly. “How can I make a mess? She hasn’t asked why I left, all she wants to know is about how our relationship was, how she was.”

“What happens when she asks you?”

Daniel sits by the counter again. “I’ll deal with it when it happens.”

“You are impossible,” Katia groans. “Just go in the living room and call Cristiano.”

Daniel walks out of the kitchen, making his way in the living room. He fishes his phone out of his pocket, staring at it. What would he say to Cristiano? What could he say to Cristiano at this point? He’s not going to apologize. He knows Cristiano’s temper would get the best of him and they would most likely fight, but it’s better to have the conversation now.

He takes a deep breath before unlocking his phone and searching for Cristiano’s name in his contacts.

This is going to be a great conversation.

-------------------------------------------------------


Cristiano stretches on the bed after having dinner with Sergio and Iker. Sergio and Iker wanted to go hang out at Iker’s room for a bit, but Cristiano wasn’t exactly in the mood. Exhaustion is finally catching up with his body and all he wanted to do was sleep before doing the game. All the traveling, the working is definitely doing a number on his body, but how can he complain? He’s doing what he loves best.

“Maybe I should call Katia, just to check on how her day is going.” He looks at his watch and it’s eight-thirty. Just to make sure his sister is available and not out for dinner with Vince and his family, he decides to text her. Once that’s done, he places the phone beside him on the bed, turning the television on. But before he could even decide on a channel his cell phone rings. His eyes drift towards his phone and for a moment he feels a slight rise in temperature.

Daniel’s name is flashing on his phone. He didn’t want to answer it, not trusting the words he would say to his beloved cousin, but he knows Daniel is calling for a reason.

“Hello,” he answers, trying to sound as calm and collected as possible.

“Cristiano, hey man, how’s it going?”

“Daniel, what a pleasant surprise. What’s the occasion?” Though their relationship has gotten better over the years, he’s not exactly fond of Daniel’s deceiving ways. Daniel had told him he wasn’t speaking to Amelia, yet here he is back in town, speaking to her.

“Let me start off by saying, I didn’t mean to lie to you. In my defense, when you asked me I wasn’t talking to her then.” He’s definitely glad that he could drop the act. Playing nice with Daniel has always been difficult for him.

“I don’t even know what to say to you.” Cristiano’s reply didn’t surprise Daniel, though he thought his cousin would elaborate further on what he would do to him, Cristiano’s imagination is definitely something. “You’re taking advantage of her.” Cristiano accuses.

“Advantage of her? How so? Cristiano, I’m trying to help her remember who she was. There is no way I’m taking advantage of her.” Cristiano hears him scoff. “I’m an asshole just like you, but I wouldn’t stoop that low.”

“Wouldn’t count it out,” Cristiano retorts. “You’re still in love with her, this is your chance to start fresh.”

“It is,” Daniel admits, this can definitely be the fresh start he’s prayed for, but he wouldn’t do that to his family. He wouldn’t betray Cristiano, at least he’s trying his best not to. Amelia is left alone. Cristiano is almost non-existent in her life and he can definitely go in for the sweep, but he couldn’t. “But I wouldn’t do that to you.”

“You need to stay away from her,” he snaps.

“I can’t do that, at least not now.” Daniel’s not sure where he’s going with this. He shouldn’t have called Cristiano. “If I walk away now, she’ll ask too many questions, I don’t want to confuse her any further.”

“You had no problem doing it before.”

“Low blow.”

Cristiano scoffed. “That’s a low blow? Daniel, you did that, you walked away while you two were still together. You broke up with her through a damn letter that you had me deliver.” Cristiano wanted to be in Madrid just to beat Daniel, to give him the beating he should have rightfully given him all those years ago. “Did you tell her yet? How your relationship ended? Or have you manipulated that ending already?”

“Don’t think so lowly of me, asshole.” Daniel hisses. “I’m going by what she asks, I didn’t tell her the full story because she didn’t let me get there. She hasn’t brought the topic up, so till she does, I’ll keep my mouth shut.”

“Why are you staying quiet? Letting her know would be a good idea, don’t you think?” Cristiano’s annoyed at this point. The more he speaks to Daniel, the more agitated he becomes about the whole situation. Nothing is making him feel better and the only thing running through his mind is going for a session at the gym or punching a wall. Either way, he needs to let some steam out.

“Cristiano, I don’t think that’s the best idea. She might not handle it well.”

“Yeah, well no one would, memory loss or not.”

“I’m trying here, I’m not trying to take Amelia away from you.” Daniel knows Cristiano is on edge because he’s not a part of her life. Here he is, waltzing in, while he’s shut out. Between the two of them, both men would agree that Daniel would deserve the cold shoulder more than Cristiano does, but the circumstances prove differently. “Vince is acting like a jackass, that’s something everyone can agree on, but maybe Katia will make a break through tonight.”

“I don’t give a shit, I’ve never needed Vince’s approval to be in her life, I’m not going to start now.” Cristiano wonders at times why he let Vince take over the way he did. He had his reasons then, but when he thought about it now, his reasons is definitely not worth the pain. Maybe he had a small ounce of respect for Vince before that’s why he hasn’t tried to exactly talk to Amelia, but not anymore. Things are different now. “Whether he likes it or not, I’m going to talk to her.”

“It was an accident, none of it was your fault.”

“Yeah, well you should tell him that.” Sergio walks back in the room, nodding his head at Cristiano. “Look, I gotta go, training tomorrow and I need some sleep.”

“Yeah, I understand, I just wanted to call to see where we are.”

“Daniel, you’re my cousin, you’re family, I like you,” Cristiano starts off. “But if you intend on manipulating her to get your fresh start, you know I won’t hesitate to beat you to a bloody pulp.”

“Understood, but you know she’s fair game.”

And those are the words he didn’t want to hear from Daniel. Fair game. She is “fair game”, but not in his world.

Cristiano hangs up, slamming his phone down on the mattress. Sergio sits on the bed next to Cristiano’s, taking his watch off as he let his friend process his anger. Daniel always knows which buttons to press. It’s his God given talent. Cristiano knows better than to fall for Daniel’s words, but in the situation he’s in, he couldn’t blame the guy.

“What did your dumbass cousin say now?” Sergio places a pillow behind him, leaning against it as he remains seated.

“The usual Daniel bullshit,” Cristiano runs his hand over his face. “If he wasn’t my cousin, I would have beaten the shit out of him already.” He idly changes the channel, keeping it at some poker game. They weren’t going to pay attention to this show, if anything it’s just their background.

“Never thought that would stop you.”

“It wouldn’t, but my mother wouldn’t want us fighting physically.”

“I’m sure she agrees that Daniel deserves a beating or two.”

“She does, but doesn’t mean she’ll approve if it happens.” Cristiano sighs. “I’m going to talk to Amelia.”

Sergio looks over at Cristiano, nodding his head. This is not the first time he’s heard this sentence. There has been numerous of times where Cristiano reaches a breaking point and makes up his mind about talking to Amelia, then out of nowhere he’ll back out. It’s not that Sergio doesn’t believe that Cristiano will eventually talk to Amelia. He just doesn’t see it happening unless he drags Cristiano to speak to her. He’s always wondered why Cristiano hasn’t made a move yet, Cristiano never gave a shit about anything unless it was about his career, family, and Amelia. The fact that Cristiano has let this go on for so long surprises Sergio.

“You always say that.”

“It’s different this time,”

“How so?”

How is it different this time? Cristiano ponders for a moment, knowing the answer to Sergio’s question, but he’s just trying to look for the right words to say. He knows that this isn’t the first time he’s mentioned this to Sergio. It’s not like he’s a wussy and backs out, circumstances prevent him from approaching her or uttering a word to her. There are definitely times that he wants to laugh at the position he placed himself in.

“I can’t take it anymore man, I’ve been having dreams of her more frequently. I just feel like an idiot for not helping her when she needs me the most.” Cristiano lets out a sigh of frustration. “You know, sappy bullshit and all, holding her gave me the most serene feeling I’ve ever felt. Knowing I might not be able to hold her again kills me, but I can’t do shit since I’ve been playing along Vince’s stupid game of redemption.”

“It was an accident, blaming you does not make sense whatsoever.” Sergio has tried to put himself in Vince’s position, hell even Jay’s. How can her accident be Cristiano’s fault? Sure, he was in the car with her, but it’s not like he was the drunk driver.

“Yes, well, he needed a scapegoat.” Cristiano mumbles out bitterly.

“For what? It was an accident.” Sergio shakes his head. “But, maybe you should wait till Vince actually comes to you about Amelia.”

“Honestly, I question your loyalty at times.”

Sergio chuckles. “Cristiano, listen to me, I’m not trying to say you should give up, you deserve to be a part of her life. But Vince is just trying to make up for lost time. He hasn’t exactly been ‘Brother of the Year’ material, but he’s trying now.”

“Vince chose to stay out of her life,” Cristiano tries to keep his temper in check, reminding himself that it wouldn’t work out well if he’s to beat the shit out of his best friend. “He chose to lock her out, to make her feel like she wasn’t a good sister to him. I never chose to lock myself out of her life.”

“Of course not,” Sergio could see his temper rising. He’s not afraid of Cristiano, he could take him on, but he rather not fight with Cristiano. “I’m not trying to give Vince’s actions any justification, but at the same time, I see where he’s coming from.”

“I don’t think he should punish me for his shortcomings.”

“You’re right, he shouldn’t.”

“Vince is selfishly keeping Amelia by his side, to assure that she’s safe, untouchable, but those are the same things he didn’t do for her before the accident. I’m not saying he doesn’t love her, but he abandoned her.” Cristiano remembers the times Amelia would cry to him about missing Vince and how her brother basically died along with her father. She didn’t recognize him anymore and the more she tries to speak to him, the more he closed her off. His own mother was cut out of his life, so it wasn’t a surprise that Vince shied away from his siblings as well. “He’s doing all of this to redeem himself, to prove to himself that he is a good brother to her. This isn’t about Amelia, this is Vince doing something for Vince.”

“We all know that Vince wasn’t exactly the best person after he lost his parents. People have their own ways of grieving.” Sergio explains. “I’m not saying what he did was right, but that’s how he grieves, you’re biased, bro. He hurt Amelia and we all know how unacceptable that is for you.”

Once upon a time, Vince and Cristiano were the best of friends, much like how Katia and Vince are today. Vince is the reason why Amelia even got close to Cristiano. Amelia stuck to Vince like a leech when she was younger. Whatever her older brother did, she wanted to be a part of and since Vince adored her, he let her tag along a few times. Though Cristiano and Amelia had known each other since Amelia was in diapers, the first time they truly hung out as friends was when Vince let Amelia tag along. From there, their friendship bloomed.

Things soured between Vince and Cristiano after the death of Vince’s father. As much as Cristiano tried to talk to him, to help him, Vince closed him off with the rest of the world. Then when Vince started giving Amelia an attitude, things heated between them. At that time, Cristiano already had feelings for Amelia. Every time Amelia would try to talk to Vince, he would give her the cold shoulder, pissing Cristiano off. Cristiano has a temper, that’s common knowledge, but seeing how he treated Amelia just triggered Cristiano much quicker than usual. He really had to refrain himself from beating Vince’s head in a couple of times.

Point is, their friendship hasn’t been the same since and now things are just getting worst.

“What am I supposed to do?” Cristiano questions. “Wait till he lets me in, what if he never does?”

“Amelia will have her memory back soon.” Sergio tells him encouragingly.

“What if she never gets it back?”

It’s a question that Cristiano would never want to become a possibility, but it’s been two years, the improvement with Amelia’s memory has been slow. He can wait a lifetime for her, but his patience with her brother can’t. Even before Katia spoke to him the other night, that possibility has been present in Cristiano’s mind. He’s not exactly an optimistic person, he explores every possible scenario and this is something he’s definitely thought about. Though he tries not to think of it much, it lingers in his mind like a distasteful memory that refuses to fade. If her memory never returns, he’ll fade away from her.

Sergio isn’t going to lie. He’s thought of the possibility as well. He speaks to Amelia often and he tries to feed her any memory he can to at least help trigger anything. At times she would remember the memory he tells her, giving him much more info relating to the particular memory, but at times, he’ll hit a dead end. It could get frustrating at times, even Leigh, his girlfriend, speaks to her often to try and help out as well. They’ve mentioned Cristiano once in a while, but she never really says much about him.

“Will you be able to accept that?”

Cristiano never really thought of it. Accept it? How can he wrap his mind around that?

“I’m not sure I can,” Cristiano tosses the remote over to Sergio’s bed. He stands up from his bed. “I got attached to her,” he turns to Sergio. “That’s an understatement, but I was always reluctant to be with her, reluctant to fall for her. Look where I am now.”

“She’s not gone, Amelia’s still here,” Sergio replies. “Maybe you just need to have her fall in love with you all over again.”

“What?”

“Just because she lost her memory, doesn’t mean she’s gone. You can just make her fall in love with you all over again.”

Cristiano chuckles, shaking his head. “Easier said than done.”

“The way I see it, you have nothing to lose,” Sergio shrugs. “Besides, a part of her already loves you, how hard can it be?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for all the feedback! It is greatly appreciated and I just feel the love! :)