A Million Miles Away

Chapter 7

Jay walks in the home he shares with his two younger siblings. The smell of food enters his nose making his stomach grumble. He’s definitely happy that he gave Katia and Dolores the go ahead earlier to use his house for Cristiano and Sergio’s arrival. He wasn’t going to say no either, since he’s sure his Tia Dolores would have his head. Vince had spoken to him about it and even though his younger brother was not exactly all aboard, he somehow eased up on being an asshole to Cristiano. Walking into the dining room he sees Daniel sitting in between Katia and Dolores, Amelia and Cristiano across from them, with Sergio sitting at the head of the table.

“Thanks for waiting guys,” he jokes around, sitting at the other head of the table. “Looks like you cooked a feast Katia,” he turns to Cristiano. “You should be gone more often, your sister becomes bearable when she has to anticipate your return.”

Cristiano laughs. “She becomes bearable to you and goes full blown irritating Katia to me.” He teases his older sister.

“I’ll remember that later as you sleep,” she narrows her eyes at Cristiano.

“I’m kidding, I love you,” Cristiano says to his sister, the whole table laughing once more.

“Nice to see you Cristiano,” Jay tells him, sticking out his hand for Cristiano to shake.

Cristiano shakes his hand. “Always nice to see you man.” Jay has always been his favorite. He’s had his run in’s with Jay where they didn’t see eye to eye and it had nothing to do with Amelia. Jay was the annoying, overbearing older brother that Cristiano already has in Hugo, but he didn’t mind having Jay around as well. And in some ways, he appreciates Jay.

“Sergio, I know I’ve seen you around, but I can never stop telling you I’m glad you’ve cut your hair.” Jay raises an eyebrow. “Suits you.”

“Thanks Jay, you’re still bald.” Sergio replies. “No more hair to grow? I can give you some of mine.”

“I don’t like ponytails.” The whole table laughs at his reply, Sergio shaking his head at his friend.

“Amelia, how was school today?” Jay’s eyes move over to his sister who’s eating quietly watching the exchange between him and Cristiano.

“Good, nothing new,” she shrugs. “Has Vince called you? He hasn’t called me and I’m getting worried.”

“Amelia, Vince is a big boy, I assure you he’s fine.” Jay reassures her. “Can someone pass me the mashed potatoes, I’m starving over here.”

Daniel laughs, passing the mashed potato to Jay. His relationship with Jay is stable. They’ve never really liked one another ever since he started dating Amelia. Many people thought that Jay wasn’t fond of Daniel because he was dating his sister, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. There was just something about Daniel that didn’t seem right. He was okay with Daniel, until he left that letter to break-up with this sister and that ended that.

“How’s work Cristiano? Too cool to stop by nowadays?” Jay teases him.

“I would have stopped by if I wasn’t barred from coming here.” Cristiano smirks making Jay laugh.

“Never stopped you before,” Jay points out.

“I decided to respect the decision of your idiotic brother.” He turns to Amelia. “No offense.”

Amelia laughs. “Don’t even worry about it.”

Dinner continues without a hitch, conversations flowing the whole time. Daniel had to leave early since he had to sleep early for a meeting he would be having the next morning. It’s very unlike Daniel to even sleep early, but they let it go. Sergio offers to help Katia and Dolores with the dishes, while Jay makes his way up the stairs to change his clothing. Amelia makes her way to the backyard, sitting by the table they had on the patio. Cristiano follows after her.

“Do you watch football often?” Cristiano questions breaking the silence between the two of them.

“I do, it’s really fun, though it can get a tad bit boring.” Amelia laughs. “I think it’s an amazing game, but it’s 90 minutes and at times it’s longer, you might not even score.”

Cristiano laughs. “I understand, but I usually score in every game. I think you can count on Madrid games to be fast paced and goals galore.”

“I can,” Amelia smiles. “But I watch it whenever I can, Vince doesn’t really like football.”

“Surprise there,” Cristiano rolls his eyes. Vince likes football, but he’s a Barcelona fan. “Do you watch Barcelona play?”

“Oh yes, that’s the one we usually watch. We’ve flown to Barcelona a couple of times to watch the matches.” Amelia replies.

“Of course,” Cristiano mumbles. “Do you have a favorite player in Barcelona?”

Amelia laughs and shakes her head. “It’s gonna sound shallow.”

“You like him for his looks? No one in Barcelona is good looking.” Cristiano tells her. “Okay, except Pique.”

“It’s not Pique, I really like their goalkeeper Victor Valdes.” Amelia replies making Cristiano gag.

“Valdes? Oh God, Amelia, really?” For a brief moment, it’s normal. Amelia has always thought that Victor Valdes is good looking, he remembers teasing her about it before and it’s just funny how she’s still attracted to him.

“What?” Amelia giggles. “I think he’s hot and his tattoos are definitely something to look at.”

“He has a family, Amelia.”

“Cristiano, I said he was hot, I didn’t say I was going to Barcelona and sleep with him to ruin his family.”

Cristiano couldn’t help but smile at her reply. This is somewhat a normal conversation for them and it just gives him hope that things can go back to normal and if not, it seems like they can always start where they left off to some extent.

“Do you miss me?” Amelia questions, catching Cristiano off guard.

“What?” He turns to her, confusion written all over his face.

“Do you miss the old Amelia? The one before the accident?” She looks over at him as well.

Cristiano remains silent for some time. Honesty has always been the best policy with Amelia, but he feels like he’s walking around glass, one slip up could harm this whole thing. Weighing his options, he thought about what each answer could bring. What consequence would a yes or a no give him? A yes would lead to more questions and could potentially hurt her feelings. She can’t help it, she didn’t choose to lose her memory. A no would have him lying, which he is exceptional in, but Amelia has always been able to tell if he was lying. But that may not be the case this time around.

“Yes,” Cristiano watches her expression cautiously and she still has an emotionless face, waiting for him to continue. “But I understand the situation. This isn’t something we can control. I miss Amelia, but you’re still here.”

“But I’m not her,” Amelia points out.

“You are, she’s somewhere in there.” Cristiano says to her.

“There’s a possibility she won’t come back, you know, it might stay like this forever.” Amelia hates thinking of that possibility. But she’s getting impatient. She knows it’s a process to regain your memory, but she feels like it should have happened by now. Yet here she is, a few memories in her mind, but everything else is not there. The looks of disappointment are getting tiring for her, it’s not like she’s holding on to amnesia, its latching on to her.

Cristiano watches her as she looks at the backyard, her eyes focusing on the darkness. It’s a possibility he’s explored, he hates admitting it, but it’s something he has thought of, the possibility of moving on without her. He doesn’t want to, that’s the last thing he wants, but he’s not sure what he can do. Building new memories is always an option, but what if Amelia doesn’t want that? He’s never been in favor of forcing himself on someone, but if he has to annoy her, he’ll do it just so he’ll stay around.

“You shouldn’t count out that possibility. Amelia, your optimistic, I know saying those words crushes you.”

“It’s the harsh reality of the situation,” she says bitterly. “I’m sorry for disappointing you all, I want my memory back as well, but that’s not going to happen any time soon.”

“Why are you talking like that?” She’s hitting Cristiano’s nerve, constantly poking it with a knife. “Do you not want to remember?”

“Of course I do!” Amelia turns to him, her eyes a bit watery. “I’m trying my best to remember, but seeing the disappointed looks on your faces when I tell you I don’t remember something is very hard to see.”

“Because you care about us,” Cristiano replies. “Just because you lost your memory, doesn’t mean you forgot us.”

“I don’t know,” Amelia pulled her knees up to her chest, leaning against the chair. “I hope you don’t end up hating me when I can’t give you the relationship we used to have.”

Cristiano closes his eyes for a moment, her words sinking in. It’s never real till you hear it from the person you want to hear the confirmation from. The biggest worry he’s had these past few years is whether or not she would remember everything, whether or not she would remember their relationship. Now, his biggest worry is whether or not Amelia can love him with or without her memory. Some part of her already loves him, that part is just currently hiding.

“Amelia, that doesn’t matter. Don’t think about me. I’m fine.” Cristiano has to force these words out. He isn’t okay, but he didn’t need to show her that. “We should just work on helping you and if not, we can always build a new relationship.”

Her heart skips a beat when he says a new relationship. Her stomach clenches at the thought of a new relationship with Cristiano. What about the relationship we have before? She would just feel absolutely horrible if she couldn’t give him the relationship they used to have. He’s special to her, she knows that much, but what if their special relationship never comes back?

“Can you live with that? Building a new relationship?”

“I rather have a new relationship than none at all.” Cristiano bitterly smiles. “There’s nothing wrong with having a new relationship.”

Talk about a painful conversation. Cristiano shakes his head, having the urge to take himself out of the situation.

“I don’t want you to have a different relationship with me. I want it to be the same for you like how it’s always been.” Amelia reasons.

“Amelia, relationships, they always change. Whether you lost your memory or not, something would change our relationship. Not for the bad, but we always build different relationships.” Cristiano tries to explain. “Right now, this is the start of our new relationship, the next chapter in our lives. Things will be slightly different, not because you’ve lost your memory, but because we’re in different places in our lives.”

“I don’t understand why you’re so understanding.” Amelia tells him, slightly annoyed. She’s not annoyed at him, she’s annoyed with herself.

“I’m not sure how I am either.” Cristiano shrugs. “But you’re my best friend, I would do anything for you.”

“You always gave me ice cream.” Amelia decides to change the subject. She feels as if she’s stabbing Cristiano with her pessimism. He didn’t need that. Amelia should let him in to her life just like how she let everyone else in. It’s not like she’s guarding herself with Cristiano, things just seem different.

Cristiano laughs. “What?”

“Most memories I have of you, you’re bringing me ice cream.” Amelia laughs as well. “May I ask why?”

“Cookies and cream is your favorite ice cream.” Cristiano starts off. “Whenever you’re upset, ice cream would always make you feel better. I hated seeing you cry. When you were thirteen, you had your first heartbreak.” Cristiano slightly smiles at the memory of Amelia’s crying face. He and Vince decided that they were going to kill the guy, but Amelia wouldn’t have it.

“Was it Daniel?”

Cristiano laughs. “Yeah, no,” Cristiano is thankful that Daniel left. He’ll have to talk to him soon as well. “Anyways, you were crying so hard that for a split second I thought you were going to stop breathing or something. I brought you five pints of ice cream, all cookies and cream. As soon as you had the first pint, your smile was back on your face.” It’s a heart-warming moment that Cristiano always remembers. That moment made him realize that Amelia was not just Vince’s little sister, he felt something for her, but at that time, he was just not that sure what it was at that time.

“I do love cookies and cream,” she replies, smiling at him. “Ever killed a guy for breaking my heart?”

Cristiano laughs. “I’ve tried,” remembering his ill feeling towards Daniel and how adamant she was that Daniel was not worth Cristiano’s time. “But you’ve always been a nice one.”

It’s now Amelia’s turn to laugh. “Daniel told me you almost killed him.”

“Has Daniel told you how you two broke up?” Cristiano questions.

“No,” Amelia shakes her head. “We’re on a need to know basis.”

“Don’t you want to know why you two broke up?” Cristiano didn’t want to stress her out, but he’s certain she wants to know what happened all those years ago.

“He left me, right?”

“Maybe you should ask him that.”

He wanted to bury Daniel, but karma is a bitch and he didn’t want it biting him on the ass.

“I don’t need to know, I know he did.”

“How are you so sure? Asking him wouldn’t hurt.”

“He wouldn’t be truthful with me.”

“Glad you at least remember that.” Cristiano mumbles.

Amelia hears him and starts to laugh.

“When did you figure it out?” Cristiano asks.

“As soon as I met him, I remember you giving me a letter and I was overwhelmed with sadness.” Amelia shrugs. “I just remember reading the letter, I don’t remember much, but just the main point of it. He left.”

“And you still speak to him?”

“Yeah, I mean, it’s in the past.” Amelia’s not sure why she still speaks to Daniel. She can’t say she didn’t care that it happened, it just didn’t matter anymore.

Cristiano’s not exactly sure how he should take her reply. Given, Amelia and Daniel have spoken before, they were in better terms, and everyone has grown up. But with such a memory, he would expect Amelia to question Daniel about it, give him a hard time about it.

“You should talk to him, so he’ll stop tiptoeing around you thinking you don’t know.” Cristiano suggests.

“I will, all in good time.” Amelia smiles. “Besides, I’m waiting to see if he has the balls to tell me about it.”

“You’re going to wait forever.”

“I have time.”

“Before I forget, why won’t you come see us play one of these days? You know, to finally see your favorite football player in action,” Cristiano winks at her making Amelia laugh.

“I would love that!” Amelia beams

“Sounds like a plan, bring your brothers. My family always goes, so you can just meet up with them.” Cristiano takes the tickets out of his jacket pocket. He coordinated plans with Jay and they’re going to the game next week.

“Wow! Isn’t this game already sold out? It’s a El Classico game.” Amelia’s jaw drop. “How did you, it’s like, isn’t it sold out?”

“Got my own box, sweetheart,” Cristiano replies cockily.

“Thank you, this is amazing.” Amelia stands up. “Can I give you another hug?”

Cristiano chuckles. “Of course.” He stands up as well, welcoming Amelia in his embrace.

“So, I’m not sure if I’m supposed to ask this, but since I’m your best friend I guess I have the right to know.” Amelia pulls away from him. “Do you have a girlfriend? I don’t want to overstep any boundaries.” That statement doesn’t sit right with her, but isn’t this what best friends do?

Cristiano chuckles, shaking his head. “Waiting for someone,”

“For the one?”

“Something like that,” he smiles at her. It kills him that he can’t tell her that he’s waiting for her. He wants to tell her, to tell her how much he loves her and how the distance between them killed him, but that might scare her off. She’s already apprehensive about them being best friends, he can’t imagine how she would be if he tells her what they really are to one another.

“But wouldn’t it be nice to date around, maybe the one is already here and you’re just too blind to see that.”

“Maybe,” he shrugs. “I already found the one, she just has to find herself.”

That statement slightly stings Amelia’s heart. Cristiano already found someone. He’s waiting for this person to get herself together. What a lucky girl she is. Damn her fangirl heart for stinging at the fact he already has a special someone.

“Lucky girl, having a guy like you waiting for her.” Amelia says to him. “Is this weird? This is what best friends do right?”

“This is what they do,” Cristiano wraps an arm around her shoulder, missing the feeling of her body snuggled up next to his. “Stop asking me if this is what best friends do, it just comes naturally.”

Amelia nods her head, trying to keep herself from blushing. Having Cristiano so close to her is definitely a good feeling. She had the urge to wrap her arms around him and just never let go, that’s the urge coming from her, that natural feeling, that’s what best friend’s do after all.

---------------------------------------------------


Cristiano walks in his home after dropping Sergio off. He can’t exactly complain about tonight’s events. He finally had his opportunity to speak to Amelia, but he wish it was longer. Though, it could be the fact he’s a little selfish with her. His phone begins ringing and it’s Sergio.

“Did I just not drop you off?” He greets his friend.

“Well hello to you too Cristiano,” it’s Erica.

“Why are you calling me from Sergio’s phone?” Cristiano opens the door to his bedroom, placing his bag by the door before flopping down on the bed. “Do you not have your own phone?”

“I do, but Sergio came into my room and fell asleep with Melody so I decided to just use his phone since it was in his hands.” Erica replies. “Problem?”

“No ma’am, just curious.” Cristiano laughs. “Why are they both in your room?”

“Melody usually likes sleeping in my room and she prefers sleeping in between mommy and daddy.” He can hear the smile in Erica’s voice. This couple confuses him. They should be together and they know it, but yet they’re not.

“I see, how are you?”

“I’m well? Yourself?”

“Good, I’m sure you heard about dinner.”

“I did, I did, how does it feel?” Erica is excited for Cristiano. He finally got his chance to speak to Amelia. No Vince to hassle him, Daniel behaved, everything fell into place.

“I’m not even sure,” Cristiano sighs. “She’s open to know me, but I just feel like she’ll slowly close me off.”

“Close you off? Why?” He hears movement, which most likely indicates that Erica is leaving the room to not disturb her family.

“Amelia’s frustrated with herself.” Cristiano starts off. “She feels that she should have remembered everything by now, just so we wouldn’t be disappointed in her.”

“For someone who forgot how to be herself, she’s still the same person.” Erica slightly laughs, her best friend marveling her. Amelia is frustrated, that’s something she’s seen first-hand. But there’s no reason to be frustrated, though she understands why she’s feeling the way she’s feeling.

“Tell me about it,” Cristiano chuckles. “Anyway, I just feel that she’ll let me in, but she’s scared of disappointing me for not being able to give me what we used to have that she’ll close herself off.”

“Possibly, but didn’t you tell her that you wouldn’t mind starting a new relationship?”

“I did, but I don’t know, she’s being stubborn.”

“This girl,” Erica sighs. “She is going to regain her memory, she needs to be patient.”

“Put yourself in her position, wouldn’t you be frustrated?”

“I never said I didn’t understand how she’s feeling, but this condition, it takes time. It doesn’t happen overnight.”

“Yeah,”

“Alright, we have to make a game plan, you gave her the tickets to the game?” Erica questions.

Cristiano nods his head. “Yep, she’s pretty excited.”

“Great, so what’s the next step from here?”

“Friends.”

“What?”

“We’re going to be friends, I can’t attack her. This has to be gradual.” Cristiano replies. “Sergio’s right, I can’t just bombard her with our past, forcing her to live in a memory she can’t remember. I’m going to be whatever she needs me to be.”

“Did you just say Sergio is right?”

“I know, apocalypse is coming or whatnot, but don’t count your husband out, he’s pretty smart.”

“He’s not my husband.”

“He should be.” Cristiano takes of his shoes, crawling further up his bed. “What’s going on Erica? You don’t speak to anyone about what’s going on, you’re going to have to let it out somewhere.”

“Look, I appreciate the concern, but Sergio and I are fine.”

“Are you?”

Erica groans. “Cristiano, honestly do not need any relationship advice right now. Sergio and I have accepted that we’re not meant to be and that’s okay.”

“I think you’re the only one who’s accepted that.” Cristiano points out.

“You’re being annoying.”

“And you’re being stubborn.”

“I’m hanging up now, Melody is waking up.”

“Such a liar, you’re going to have to face this some time.”

“The fact that you’ve become a relationship guru worries me.” Erica laughs. “Go get your beauty sleep.”

“Erica, seriously, if you need to talk, I’m all ears.” Cristiano offers.

“Thanks Cristiano, I appreciate it.”

---------------------------------------------------


Amelia walks in Jay’s room, puffing out her cheeks, blowing out air. Jay sees this, laughing at his little sister’s adorable antics. When Amelia used to be in trouble, frustrated with anything, she would come in Jay’s room and do the same act. He’s surprised she still remembers how to do it, but maybe it just came naturally.

“Amelia, what’s up?” Jay questions, sitting up.

“Nothing,” she sits next to him on his bed. “How was your day?”

“My day?” Jay raises an eyebrow, but proceeds to answer. “It was good, nothing eventful, usual work stuff. And yours?”

“Could have been better.”

Jay frowns at her reply. That’s not what supposed to happen. Amelia should be happy to have Cristiano back, spending every waking moment with him. Yet here she is now, trying to avoid the guy.

“What’s going on?”

“I feel like Cristiano is lying to me.”

“Lying? How so?”

“I don’t think he’s just my best friend,” she sighs. “I keep having flashbacks with him in it and the way he talks to me, it doesn’t seem like we were just friends.” She looks down at her fidgeting hands, trying to explain the situation in a less awkward manner. “Like you know in movies when the guy falls in love with the girl and he just talks to her differently?”

“Not that I’ve watched chick flicks by choice, but yes, I do, what about it?”

“That’s how he talks to me in my memories.” Amelia looks up at her brother. “Was he in love with me?”

Jay looks over at his sister, unsure how he should answer the question. He and Vince made a deal that the whole relationship with Cristiano should be kept under wraps till she was comfortable with Cristiano again and can take the truth. But with the way things are going, she’s not going to open up to Cristiano, she’s going to push him away. His sister always had the uncanny ability to know something else is going on than what is being shown or said to her.

“He’s your boyfriend,” Jay’s the eldest, decisions like this is difficult to make, but his sister shouldn’t be lied to, especially in the state she’s in.

“Boyfriend? Cristiano’s my boyfriend?” Amelia’s surprised by this new found information. It’s not like she can’t believe Cristiano could be more than a friend to anyone, but for her and Cristiano to actually have dated, that’s something different for her. And then she realizes that her brother didn’t used past tense. “He is my boyfriend?”

“Yep, fiancé actually,” Jay turns his television off, moving so he can face his younger sister. “Cristiano proposed to you and you two were set to marry a year ago, but the accident happened.”

Amelia shakes her head, the newly discovered relationship is giving her a migraine. It’s like her brain is overloading, trying to remember the moments they’ve shared together, the sweet words he had told her finally making sense. She closes her eyes to try to somehow calm her thoughts. Seeing her place her hands on her head made Jay frown. For a moment, he regrets telling her the truth, but there’s no turning back now.

“He was in the accident with me?”

“Yes,”

“Is he the man crying in my dreams?”

“What?”

Amelia takes a deep breath, pursing her lips. “This started around the time we left for America during the summer. For the last six months, I’ve had recurring dreams of a man sitting next to me in a hospital bed, I just hear him crying because I can’t see his face.” Amelia began. “At first he didn’t talk, he would just be crying and I can feel him holding my hand. I thought it was you or Vince, but it was apparent it wasn’t.”

“This might have been during your coma,” Jay says to her. “Continue.”

“After three months, the dreams stopped, then when I saw Cristiano when we got back from America, the dreams started again. They weren’t often, but I would say once or twice a week I’d have the dream.” She pauses for a moment to take in a deep breathe. “Then I started hearing words and it was usually repetitive. It’s like the same scene over and over again.”

“What did he tell you?” Jay had witnessed one of the painful talks Cristiano had with Amelia while she was in a coma. At that moment, Jay realized how much he really loved his sister. Hearing how Cristiano was begging her to wake up so they can get married and have the life they planned was absolutely painful.

Jay stays by the door, watching Cristiano with both of his hands holding his younger sister’s hand. Sitting at his usual seat, Cristiano rarely left her side. They would have to force him to leave, to get a breath of fresh air or anything, just to get him out of the hospital. It’s been difficult for everyone, but no one is taking it harder than Cristiano.

---------------------------------------------------


“Baby, please wake up. Remember how much you hate it when I sleep in,” Cristiano tries to laugh, but it’s a fail attempt as tears fall down from his eyes again. “You’re over doing it,” he sobs out.

There’s no response, the sounds of the machines hooked to her is the only response Cristiano is receiving.

This only made the tears in Cristiano eyes come down quicker as he broke down once again. This is his fault. He should have been more careful, he should have seen that car coming.

“I’m so sorry, you shouldn’t be here,” Cristiano manages to say. “Please come back to me, I’m not sure how I can live without you. I’ve always tried to imagine how it would be if we broke up and that was torturous, but this,” Cristiano takes in a deep breath, trying to control his tone. It’s a losing battle, but he manages to control it for a moment. “This is unexplainable.”

Jay felt like he was intruding in such a private moment. He wishes he just closed the door and walked away. Hearing Cristiano say this to his sister definitely wounds him because he and Vince are suffering seeing their younger sister on that hospital bed, almost unresponsive. But Cristiano is taking this in a different way, his soul mate, the person he wants to be with for the rest of his life is lying there and he blames himself for it.

How can you ever forgive yourself for that?


---------------------------------------------------


“Mia, what did he say to you in your dreams?” He questions again once he snaps out of that memory.

“He’s apologizing for putting me in the hospital,” Amelia tells him. “And he tells me how much he loves me and that he’ll always wait for me.” Repeating those words opens Amelia’s eyes a bit more than she would like to embrace. Knowing their real connection before, Amelia can’t help but feel horrible for Cristiano. She can’t imagine how painful it is for him to act like they’re just friends.

His words not too long ago made its way through her mind. About how he’s found the girl for him, he’s just waiting for her to find herself. She’s the girl. He’s waiting for her. After all these years, no communications or anything, he’s still waiting for her. This brings tears to her eyes, her heart aching for Cristiano. She has to try for him, she didn’t want to bring him anymore pain. The guy deserves a break.

“I’m breaking his heart aren’t I?” She asks her brother who wipes her tears for her.

“No, you’re not, this is out of your hands Mia,” he squeezes her hand. “You’re not purposely hurting Cristiano, it’s just,” he bites his lip, unsure if he should say the words. It’s simply the truth. “You don’t remember him and that’s okay. No one is forcing you to remember him.”

“But I should, shouldn’t I? I supposedly loved him, why can’t I remember loving him?” Amelia grimaces. “I remember him, I see him in all of my memories, he’s the first thing I recalled from my past, yet I can’t remember I love him.”

“Amelia, calm down,” Jay wraps an arm around her shoulders, moving his seat so he’s sitting side by side with her. “Sssh, Amelia, Cristiano doesn’t expect you to remember your feelings for him, no one does. Just because you love him, it doesn’t mean you’ll feel the same way now. That sounds horrible, I know,” Jay shakes his head, thinking Cristiano would surely punch him the face for saying this to Amelia. “But the way you felt about all of us is not going to be present right now, I know you feel the connection you had with all of us, but you can’t expect everything to come back immediately. It takes time.”

“But what if it doesn’t come back?”

“What do you mean?”

“There’s a chance my memory might not come back,” Amelia wipes her eyes, leaning her head on her brother’s shoulder. “Cristiano’s waiting for me, I can’t just leave him hanging.”

“Well what are you going to do? Force it?”

“Not force it, I’m going to ask everyone how it was between Cristiano and I, I’m just going to try to recreate our relationship.”

“Amelia, don’t do that, he’ll notice.”

“What do you mean he’ll notice?”

“He’ll know you’re forcing yourself. You have a habit of doing that when you feel it’s the right thing to do, but it really isn’t.”

“It’s not forcing, something in me really cares for Cristiano because a part of me is extremely happy that he’s here, it gives me this feeling that I don’t get anywhere else. It’s unfamiliar to me, it’s not like I was sad before, but having him here tonight, it’s just different.” She looks up to her brother. “No offense.”

“None taken,” Jay chuckles.

“If I really loved him as much as I seem to, it’ll come back and I’ll fall back in love with him.”

“You might hurt him if you end up not falling back in love with him.”

“I think I will.”

“And what makes you sure of that?”

“I already love him, I just have to find that part of me that does.”