A Million Miles Away

Chapter 9

Amelia walks in her house, closing the door behind her. Vince or Jay’s car is not in yet. Jay isn’t going to be home for dinner, while Vince is on his way home. He told her he’ll explain his absence once he gets home. He assures her nothing bad happened, he was just held up. Iker took her out for lunch and they were able to catch up. Things have been hectic lately and she hasn’t had the chance to speak to him.

Once she’s up the stairs, she immediately goes to her room, flopping down on her bed. She wants to take a nap, but she wants to hear Vince’s story. That guy she met, Alexander, his eyes looks really familiar and his smile, she’s seen it before. He’s a good looking guy as well and he seems to know her well. But then again, there’s usually a reason why a friend of hers, Cristiano for example, has not been around. She wonders why Alex hasn’t been around. Vince has never mentioned him so it must not be his doing.

Amelia appreciates her brother’s concern, but at times she wished they would ease up a bit. For example Vince blocked Cristiano’s every attempt to speak to her, she’s not sure what for really, then now this guy. But she’s never had any memories of Alexander, though his eyes are familiar, nothing else hits a memory.

Her phone ringing causes Amelia to open her eyes. She lifts up her phone and Cristiano’s name is on the screen. Unlocking the phone to answer it, she places the phone on her ear.

“Hello,” she greets him.

“Hey, what’s going on? I just got home from a shopping trip with Erica.” Cristiano quickly explains why he didn’t answer her call earlier. “Are you alright? Are you hurt?” Worry immediately laces around his voice as he questions her.

“No, no, I’m fine.” She shakes her head as if he’s standing in front of her. “I just got worried cause Vince wasn’t there to pick me up and that’s unlike him.”

“Vince didn’t pick you up? How long were you waiting for him?”

“Not long, Iker came to pick me up.” Amelia explains. “Cristiano, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure,”

“Can you come over? I wanted to talk to you.” Amelia knows she can ask Vince about Alexander, but with the way things are going, she rather ask Cristiano. He had nothing to lose, he would tell her the truth. It’s not like she didn’t trust her brother, he just seems to have an ulterior motive for his every move. He’s protecting her, yet he’s preventing her from remembering everything.

“You sure everything is okay? Nothing good usually comes out from that last sentence you said.”

Amelia laughs. “I promise, you’re good, I met someone from my past today and I want to know if you can tell me more about him.”

“Him? What’s his name?”

“Alexander.”

“I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

Cristiano hangs up, leaving Amelia clueless by his rushed actions. She places her phone beside her, closing her eyes once again. A short nap wouldn’t be so bad while she waits for Cristiano. He’ll call her once he’s outside.

-----------------------------------------------------


Cristiano pulls up their driveway, thankful that paparazzi decided not to follow him. But he wouldn’t be surprised if someone was able to follow him and snap some pictures. Ever since they started talking again, the media has gotten pictures of them together from afar. In some ways, he’s surprised that the photographers have kept their distance, but at the same time, he’s thankful of it. Though they are printing out rumors of reconciliation between him and Amelia, it’s far from that. All Cristiano cares about is for her to regain her memory.

Thankfully, there’s no cars in the driveway, which indicates that no one is here. He and Amelia can spend some time alone, which is much better than having Jay and Vince here listening around the corner. Their protectiveness is understandable, but they could be overbearing. He steps out of his car and rings the doorbell. The door opens and Amelia is rubbing her eyes, blinking a couple of times.

“Hey,” she greets him, blinking a few more times. “Slept with my contacts on, my eyes are irritated.”

“You do that often,” Cristiano remarks as he steps inside the house. Amelia closes the door behind him and leads the way to her room. “We’re going to your room?”

The last time Cristiano was in Amelia’s room was before her accident. Amelia, majority of the time, lived in his home with him, but she still came home here. At the time of their engagement, Amelia was getting ready to move in with Cristiano, then the accident happened.

“I promise I won’t jump you in my room.” Amelia kids, making Cristiano laugh.

“You should really be worry about me.” Cristiano responds, getting a laugh out of Amelia as well.

Amelia opens the door to her room, letting Cristiano walk in and closing the door behind him. She sits on her bed and she pats the space beside her.

“You want us to talk on your bed?” Cristiano’s not foolish enough to do anything, but ever since they’ve opened communications, all he can do is stare at her lips, wanting to taste them once more. Sitting on her bed is dangerous territory.

“Cristiano, best friends are close, surely sitting on the same bed should not be any trouble.” Amelia teases him.

“Hahaha,” Cristiano sits beside her, lying on the numerous pillows she has at the head of the bed. “Still the same old Mia, I don’t understand why you need so many pillows. You only use four, two for your head and two on each side of you.”

“Having a number of pillows is always good to have when you want to read a book,” she lays back as well. “So, my question.”

Alexander.

The name makes its way through Cristiano’s mind once more, the anger and irritation bubbling up once more. Alexander was originally harmless, just one of Vince’s friends, nothing more, nothing less. But in the short months he got to know the guy he realized that he was in love with Amelia. Alexander was around while Cristiano wasn’t. During the summer, Amelia would usually go with Jay to Madrid since their mother would go there for a vacation. Vince was there as well with Alexander. Even though Vince didn’t talk to his siblings, Alexander did. Vince brought him around, but this was the time Amelia and Vince were no longer close, so Alexander never exactly pose a threat to Cristiano. Though Amelia liked talking to Alexander, it wasn’t often she did.

But when Vince came back, Alexander came along with him. And his presence was definitely felt. He stooped low to try and ruin their relationship, thankfully it never worked, but there were a few close calls. It never worried Cristiano, especially since Amelia loves him, but there was something about Alexander. Daniel might not cease the opportunity to manipulate Amelia, but Alexander would do it, no hesitation. The two weeks Alexander had with Amelia after Vince’s graduation was proof enough for Cristiano.

“Ah yes,” Cristiano tries to form the words to describe him without cussing, hatred or anything to put him in a bad light. But in reality, he shouldn’t give a crap. This man was ruthless, why should he care how Amelia portrays him as? Then again, he would be stooping down to Vince’s level and he didn’t want that. “He’s a friend of yours, he wasn’t around often till the last few months before your accident.”

“Did I know him before those few months?” Amelia questions.

“Yes, he’s a friend of Vince, you spoke to him, but it wasn’t much. He and Vince were hardly around.” Cristiano knows this is an opportunity to bury Vince, but he keeps his mouth shut. He refuses to stoop down to his level. “Why? What did he tell you?”

“Nothing really, that he was an old friend of mine,” Amelia shrugs. “Iker didn’t seem to like him.”

“He doesn’t have many fans,” Cristiano confirms. “He can be a bit of an asshole.” He’s not technically burying Alexander, this is simply the truth.

Amelia nods her head. “No romantic relationship?”

“Did you remember anything about him?”

“No, he’s familiar, but I’ve never had a memory with him in it.” Amelia leans close to Cristiano, which automatically made him wrap his arm around her so she can press against his side, placing her back against his shoulder. Usually, close contact is not something Amelia really likes, but it’s nice to be this close to Cristiano. For someone who’s so muscular, he’s comfortable.

“He tried, but you never really gave in.”

“I wonder why not, he’s pretty good looking.” Amelia wants to slap herself for that comment. With the memory she now has of Cristiano, why would she even tell him that. She feels him slightly tense up. “But a bit creepy.” He relaxes.

“Yeah, he was always creepy.” Cristiano chuckles. “How was school? Almost done?”

“Thankfully, finals are next week and I can rest.” She smiles widely. “Almost done with the season?”

“Yep,” Cristiano lets out a sigh. “Planning to go on vacation with my family, it’s a tradition.”

“I heard,” Amelia nods her head. “Where you guys off to?”

“Don’t know yet, most likely Maldives. Want to come?”

“Really? Wouldn’t I be intruding?”

Cristiano chuckles at her adorableness. She’s family. “Please, you’re a part of our family. My mother and siblings would be offended if I didn’t invite you.”

“I would love to go!” Amelia says excitedly.

“Good, cause I would have dragged you if you said no.” He smiles. “Did he say anything else to you?”

“Alexander?” Amelia shakes her head. “Nothing worth mentioning, he apologized for forgetting that I lost my memory and that he works with Vince.”

“With Vince? He works with Vince?” Cristiano knows Alexander’s occupation and it has nothing to do with fixing cars. Sure, he’s a street racer, but he doesn’t work with Vince. Alexander’s a trust-fund baby, though he’s taken over his father company ever since a few years back, he’s certain that Alexander’s company has nothing to do with fixing cars or anything that would have him working with Vince, unless Alexander is getting his car fixed.

“Apparently,” she shrugs. “Is that not what he does?”

“I’m not sure, I’m not really friendly with the guy.”

“Why not?”

Should he tell her? He promised that he wouldn’t reveal their relationship and he fully intends on keeping that promise. Telling her is not an issue for him, but the last thing he would want is for her to have a headache because of it.

“We just never got along.” It’s a safe answer, leaves it open, but the same time the question’s answered.

“Maybe it’s the fact he’s creepy.” Amelia wants to tell him she remembers more than she lets on, but she wanted to digest everything in her own terms. Telling Cristiano would be good, but he would put his two cents in and it might create further complications.

“That’s definitely one of the reasons,” he chuckles. “So what’s been going on lately? I should have just picked you up. Your brother is such a flake.”

“Don’t say that, Vince didn’t mean to leave me stranded.” Amelia points out. “Besides, no harm done, Iker came quickly so it wasn’t even a big deal.”

“Yes, but what if he didn’t?”

“Cristiano, I’m fine,” she slightly moves her head so she can look up at him. Seeing the aggravation and worry on his face brings a smile on hers. It’s not that she likes seeing him upset, it’s just nice to see someone caring about you.

“I know,” he instinctually kisses the top of her head. “Sorry, was that inappropriate?”

“You’re fine,” her eyes beginning closing as she fights off a yawn.

“You can sleep you know,” Cristiano says to her.

“How’d you know I’m falling asleep?”

“Reflection on your television,” Amelia’s eyes travel to her television and sure enough it shows the both of them sitting on her bed, leaning back on her pillows. Cristiano’s arm is around her, while she leans on him, her head now resting on his chest. His other hand is on his cell phone that lies on his lap.

“You’ll wake me up for dinner?”

“I don’t like it when you skip meals so I can assure you that I will wake you up for dinner.”

Amelia smiles and closes her eyes. Cristiano places his phone under the pillow, silencing it before he did so. This is how life is supposed to be. When he comes home from practice or anywhere, he comes home to Amelia, to do this, to live normally. With her cuddled up to him, they both can sleep their exhaustion away. Nothing feels better than holding her, especially after not doing so for years. He had no desire to sleep, but with how relax he feels at this moment, his eyes eventually closes as well.

-----------------------------------------------------


Vince walks in the house he shares with his siblings. Cristiano is obviously here. After texting him this afternoon, his conversation with Cristiano is something he’s expecting to happen soon, just not today soon. If anything, he wants to go to a public place. He’s not afraid of Cristiano, he just rather not have him freak out on him in his house, especially with his mother coming in from America tonight. Jay has been assigned to pick her up, so Vince is supposed to get the house all ready for her arrival. He had informed Katia and Elma about his mother’s coming home dinner this evening and they both plan on flying to Madrid with their mother, so the two friends can see one another. His mother is delighted that Cristiano and Amelia are talking once again, but she never knew that Vince was the reason of their separation.

Jay, Vince, and Amelia’s mother, Grace was never told about the current situation with Cristiano and Amelia. As far as she knew, Cristiano was the one who decided to distance himself because of guilt. She hasn’t gotten the opportunity to check up on Amelia on that department since her main focus was helping Amelia regain her memories. Never one to push, she wasn’t going to force Cristiano to speak to Amelia. When she did discuss the situation with Cristiano, he decided not to tell his Tia Grace about his disagreement with Vince. He has never been a tattle tale. They are adults, surely they could handle the situation. But evidently, they weren’t able to handle the situation until years later.

He walks around the house, finding no sign of Cristiano or Amelia. Then it hit him. Amelia and Cristiano would most likely be in her room. It’s big brother instinct. He doesn’t think of anything malicious, he just knows the two loves to sleep. Turning the door knob, he quietly opens the door and sure enough he finds the two asleep. They are now fully laid back with Cristiano’s arm wrapped around her body, while Amelia’s head is against Cristiano’s chest. Their legs are above the other; both softly snoring away.

A smile graces Vince’s face. He has to admit, the two are adorable together, it’s not like he didn’t think they were right for each other. He just had his reasons to keep the two away from one another. Closing the door, he goes to his room and changes into some shorts and a plain white tee. He had to get cooking, his mother is going to be here in two hours.

Making his way down to the kitchen, he’s interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. He walks over to the door and opens it. On the other side are Dolores, Elma, and Katia with Hugo holding the plastic bags behind them.

“Vincent.” Dolores greets him as she wraps her arms around him, giving him a kiss on the cheek. “Glad to know you’re here. Where is Cristiano?”

“Upstairs sleeping with Amelia,” he replies, letting them in.

“Of course,” Katia rolls her eyes. “Lazy together as always.”

“Tell me about it,” Vince chuckles. “Nice to see all of you, please tell me you’re cooking because we all know the best dish I can make is scrambled eggs.”

“Good thing we came early then,” Elma hip bumps him as she passes by.

“Aveiro women, saviors I tell you.” Vince tells Hugo. “The Aveiro men, except you Hugo are lazy.”

Hugo laughs, following the rest of their family to the kitchen. Vince closes the door and follows after them as well.

“So does this mean you’ve made peace with my brother?” Katia questions as she unpacks the plastic bags.

“We haven’t spoken to one another, but I’m planning on talking to him soon.” Vince replies, helping them unpack as well.

“When is soon?” Katia asks.

“Maybe tonight since he’s already here.” Vince is not prepared, but it’s now or never. He does owe him an apology.

“Well, don’t you sound prepared,” Elma teases.

Vince flicks her off causing Dolores to smack him upside the head. “Manners Vincent,” this causes an uproar of laughter from the Aveiro siblings.

“Yeah, yeah, laugh it up,” Vince rubs the back of his head. “Sorry Elma.”

Elma smiles and takes out the cooking pans so they can start cooking.

“Hugo, go set up the grill with Vince.” Dolores orders.

Vince follows Hugo to the back patio, turning on the grill. Though his relationships with the Aveiro siblings, excluding Cristiano, have been stable, they’ve had their moments with him. None of them agreed with closing Cristiano off, of course not, that’s their youngest sibling, seeing him hurt is not exactly the thing they want to see, but they understood. They understood Vince’s reasoning. They saw the selfishness behind it, but they understood nevertheless. He confided in Katia, which helped her understand his side much better. Then again, no one expected Katia to stray from Vince’s side, they were good friends after all, even with the age difference between them.

“So, how are you dealing with all of this?” Hugo questions, watching as the grill lights up.

“What do you mean?” Vince looks at him.

“I’m sure you’re not exactly happy to see your sister speaking to my brother again.” Hugo didn’t hate the guy, it’s Vince after all, but Cristiano is still his brother.

“Surprisingly, I’m happy they’re talking.”

“Happy? That’s surprising.”

“Amelia needs Cristiano,” Vince sighs. It took him some time to realize, but it’s something he always tried to ignore. Amelia needed Cristiano, she still needs him now. For an older brother, it’s hard to accept that one day your younger sister will stop needing you, but Vince knew ever since the two’s friendship started, Cristiano is going to be the one to takeover for him. Cristiano made it clear, he stood by Amelia when Vince ran away.

“You don’t say,” Hugo scoffs. “Your way of thinking marvels me, Vince.”

“It just took some time, I was being selfish.”

“Today is an enlightening day.”

“Your sarcasm is not needed.” Vince rolls his eyes. “But I’ve realized my mistakes.”

“What made you realize them?” Hugo questions.

“When Amelia cried out for Cristiano while she was asleep.”

For a moment both Hugo and Vince are silent, taking in Vince’s words. It’s true. She cried out for him while she was asleep. Vince was working on a project on his laptop, typing away, researching. Amelia was sleeping on the couch behind him. They were in his room waiting for the football game that was coming up in two hours. Vince suggested that Amelia should sleep first since she had a long day from therapy. While she slept, Vince worked on some work projects he had to catch up on. Amelia talked in her sleep at times. It was something Vince was used to and that was how he found out Amelia had a crush on Cristiano. Something he never let her live down. But while she slept, he heard her say Cristiano’s name. She was crying, calling out for him. It startled Vince, knowing she dreamt of Cristiano meant she knew who he was.

“When was this?” Hugo questions.

“A couple of months ago,” Vince sits down on one of the chairs on the patio, pulling it closer to the grill. “She was calling out for him, saying that she was scared.” He smiles. “It was one of the times that Cristiano and I were playing a prank on her, knowing she was afraid of the dark, we led her to the closet and closed the door.” Vince remembers the memory vividly, it’s the first time that Cristiano went against him and opened the door to comfort Amelia. One of the times that proved to him how deserving Cristiano would be to have Amelia. He realized this when Cristiano was fifteen and Amelia was thirteen. “The thing that hit me was she called for Cristiano, not for me, but for Cristiano.” Another reason why he remembers it. In some ways he understood why she called for Cristiano. Amelia knows her own brother, she knows Vince wouldn’t open the door immediately, but she knows Cristiano would, she had Cristiano wrapped around her finger. She called for him.

“How are you so sure that she was dreaming of that?”

“Cause I can never forget that moment, she called for him, three times. She told him that she was scared and to please let her out,” Vince sadly smiles. “Cristiano hardly says no to her and hearing her sobbing hurt him, I could see it. He opened the door and immediately hugged her.”

“You’re a shitty brother.” Hugo slightly laughs. He’s obviously joking, but Hugo definitely saw Vince as a shitty brother. Sure, he protected Amelia, gave her what she needed, but Vince was not much of a brother to Amelia; not like Jay.

“I know,” Vince laughs. “Don’t have to tell me twice. I made many mistakes when it comes to her, I guess my way of being a brother was to be overbearing and tease her when I can.”

“You know Amelia spoke highly of you, not like Jay, but she still liked you.”

“Of course she did, I was the one sneaking in ice cream to her every night.”

Vince knows that he’s not the world’s best brother, but he’s trying now. His previous methods as an older brother didn’t work and now, as messed up as it is, he found a new way. He pushed Cristiano out and took over his place as the person she leans on.

It’s jealousy.

That’s his main reason. Vince was jealous of Cristiano. Amelia’s attention was solely focused on him, she didn’t praise him like a God or let him get away with things, but he was her sun. Vince was happy for Amelia and Cristiano, he’s glad to know that someone would take care of his younger sister, problem was, he was happy for them now. He realized now that he ruined their relationship over his own selfishness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to update! I hit a bump and it took me a while to get up, but I've updated so yay! The story is flowing well so hopefully I can update much quicker since I know what I want to happen! Thank you for all the love! Your support keeps me going! Love you all!