‹ Prequel: Just a Fool

Gravity

It never takes too long

Amber was painting her toes as I sat back on my bed. I looked at the walls and realized how small my room was, and that they desperately needed a color. I had my arms behind my head, already dressed and ready to leave when Amber finished with her toes.

“So whatcha gonna do about modeling?” She asked, blowing out from her mouth to keep the hair from her face. I sighed and shrugged—what was I going to do now that I can’t really model anymore? I mean, what was good at?

“I don’t know.” I said as I sat up, bringing my legs to me so that I sat pretzel style. Amber put down her vial of pink nail polish and she grinned up at me. “I love modeling, Amber, and I have no idea what I am good at.”

“You’re really good at cooking food, Evie.” Amber said as she put her feet up on the back of my desk chair and cracked her back. I breathed in the scent of nail polish and rolled off my bed to grab my Hawaiian spray so that I could somehow rid my room of it. “Maybe Sarah can let you help out around the bakery? She’s always talking about needing some extra hands, and everyone kid she hires bails on her.”

“Thats because most kids hate old people, and those are the types of customers she gets.” I fell back onto my bed, face first and grunted into my red sheets. I jumped out of the way with a shout as Ambers hand came down on my ass.

“Well, whatever it is Evie, I’m sure you’ll be great. Maybe Dan can hire you in the restaurant?” She said, mentioning Sarah’s older brother. I made a face and she laughed. “Whatever, bitch, let’s go.”

I grinned and hopped off the bed, excited to go see my sister and my handsome nephew.

Image


Amber dropped me off at Chris’s house so that I could go with him and Sadie. I guess she was giving him a hard time getting dressed, so I was going to come to the rescue. I slipped the door opened and grinned. “Hello?” I called into his house. “Is there a naughty girl who won’t listen to her daddy?”

At the sound of my voice, I saw her come running from down the hall and I bent down. Sadie emerged and she was still wearing her nightgown as she came running towards me. “Evie!” She said, her arms open and her blue eyes wide. Her hair was a mess and I couldn’t help my smile as she came at me. When she reached me, I pulled the six year old into my arms and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead before pulling back.

“Hi, munchkin.” I said seriously. “Didn’t we have a talk about giving daddy a hard time?” I asked, putting her blond hair behind her ears.

“But he’s trying to make me wear an ugly dress, Evie!” She pouted, her bottom lip jutting out. I heard a groan and looked up to see Chris standing there with a bright pink dress in his hand. I even made a face as I looked back at Sadie.

“You’re right, baby,” I said as I ruffled her hair. “That is an ugly dress—meet me in your room, okay? I’m going to talk to Daddy real quick.” Sadie nodded and ran back to her bedroom and I couldn’t help but notice the energy she had. I laughed at her retreating figure as I stood up, straightening myself as I met him half way. He was frowning and I couldn’t help myself as I let a few chuckles slip from my lips as I took his face in my hands and kissed his pout.

“I really tried.” He said his eyes wide and so very blue. I laughed at his facial features and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“I know.” I murmured as he did the same, his hands coming to rest behind me and pulling me a little closer.

“I don’t know what it is with her and dresses—she hates them. Isn’t she supposed to be a girl? I don’t understand any of this.”

“You never will, baby.” I said grinning. I watched as he groaned and put his forehead against mine. “Believe me, you will never understand the mind of little girls.”

“Which,” Chris stated, “Is why you’re here, right?” He grinned mischievously and I couldn’t help myself—I leaned in to kiss his lips again. When I pulled away, I laughed at the gloss that was on his lips. His tongue flicked out and ran over his bottom lips. "Watermelon, yum."

I made a face and pushed at his with my hand and pulled away from him with a laugh. "Weirdo," I muttered as I turned away from him to make my way towards Sadie's room. I yelped as the sound of his hand hitting my ass echoed throughout the house. Turning so that he only saw my face, I smirked. "Don't start something you're not willing to finish." I winked and turned around and started to walk away, adding a little more hips into my walk.

Image


I was pulling her bright green tank top over her heard when she started to ask me questions. “Evie, why doesn’t mommy love me like you do?” I froze for a second, contemplating what to say to her. I didn’t want to lie, and well it wouldn’t be lie either way—but I wasn’t quite sure what to say to her. I blinked a few times before I pulled her shirt on. I breathed out as I picked her up, her shorts already on her and set her on her desk chair so that I could do her hair. She looked at me through her vanity mirror, her bright blue eyes looking up at me with innocence and I found myself desperately praying for her to keep it. She swung her legs back and forth as she watched me in the mirror and I grabbed for the brush.

“Mommy does love you, sweetie.” I said as I started to spray some detangling spray before brushing her hair.

“But she never bwushed my hair like you, and she doesn’t dance with me.” She looked down at her feet before moving her head to the left to look up at me. I stopped brushing her semi-wet hair, moved the chair so that she was facing me as I knelt in front of her. “And she doesn’t sing me to sleep when I get scarwed.”

I sighed and brought my fingers to her face, doing what my mom always did when she wanted to comfort me. I brushed hair out of her face and looked into her blue eyes. “Your mommy loves you, sweetie.”

“I love her vewy much.” Sadie said with a grin. I laughed at her and shook my head as I bent towards her and kissed her forehead.

“I know.”

“But I love you more!” She said with a grin. I didn’t know what to say so I only shook my head and went back to doing her hair.

A few minutes later, Chris walked into the room. “Babe, we only have a half hour before the party start.” I looked up at him just as I put the elastic to hold her French fish braid. She jumped off her chair and ran to her father and I watched as he bent down and grinned. “Look at you,” He said. “You’re as pretty as Evie!”

“Daddy,” She said, as if he didn’t say anything. Her eyes stayed on his that mirrored her own and I watched as he picked her up and put her on his hip. “Can Evie be mommy now?”