Status: Slowly active.

Show Me Your Teeth

f i r s t s i g h t

I'll admit -- it surprised me when I found the alpha sitting among the several hundred rows of books, contently folded into a bean bag chair and served little purpose next to his rather large frame. He had definitely grown -- his body had shaped to fit into his skin, he was no long lean, but rather muscular -- face set into a near permanent mask of stone.

It was easy to see he preferred to no be disturbed.

My feet had stopped short just by his waist, arms folding neatly over each other as I stared down at him -- I was surprised by my confidence. I didn't know what I was supposed to expect -- surprise, that as for sure. But apart from that I hadn't planned out what I was going to stay -- or thought of the possible consequences for my actions. I wasn't supposed to be doing this, I had promised Talia and Marcus I would wait until we could all get him alone.

Too late for that now.

The way he growled -- he could tell it wasn't a human by the stiffness in his posture but it melted away all too soon the moment he realized what exactly was challenging him. A beta -- but not just any beta.

I was the one he didn't mean to create.

For year, I imagined that he had never turned any other human -- I didn't take Aiden to be the kind to want a pack -- he didn't seem to enjoy the presence of others. But a pack meant strength -- there was always strength in numbers. There was also deaths. With Ethan, I was sure they never had to worry too much about being weak or vulnerable anymore. It still surprised me by how calm he was reacting -- but it was only when his eyes met mine did he realize his mistake.

"You."

I lifted my shoulders, tone teasing. "Me." My arms remained folded, but I set my foot on a nearby ledge, rolling my neck to get a better look at him. "What's the matter, Aiden? You seem surprised."

No doubt that the plethora of emotions that crossed his face could have varied from anger to regret -- however he was always good at keeping his composure. The alpha merely, turned his head back towards his novel, without saying a word.

This was no how I imagined seeing my alpha for the first time in two years.

I was still for a moment, jaw clenched tightly while I contemplated the series of possible actions I could pursue. I could in fact just walk away -- but the last thing I wanted to show was that I was weak and defenseless -- but I also didn't want to put myself into a situation where this time I might not be so lucky to make it out alive.

I simply opted for huffing in impatience, tearing the book from his hands. The pages was swiftly dog-eared and I slammed it on the ground, crouching low so that I could look at him better. "Quick question -- what exactly is it you were so afraid of?" I knew I was about to push my boundaries -- but there was no turning back now. I needed my alpha -- Talia and Marcus needed their alpha. We needed Aiden, and we in turn knew that once he realized he had a pack, he would need us too. "Was it the abusive history or did you get yourself into some more trouble? Who're you going to kill next -- and a little tip: ensure the death before you leave town or you end up with omegas like me who might not be so nice."

The sound tore from his throat, within seconds I was thrown hastily against the selves, spines of books digging into my back but I only laughed in mockery -- Aiden was so predictable. He almost always reacted out of anger -- it seemed as though there couldn't possibly be any good left in him but I knew all too well that it wasn't his fault. He never chose to be this way -- it wasn't as though he stood with open arms and smiled through the last three years. A full year of abuse -- two years of running to or from something -- it was easy to see how exhausted he in fact was. The lines around his mouth had grown deeper and there seemed to be no sign of life left within him.

"You know nothing." His voice -- it was rough, but even so, it held the same powerful charm it did two years prior. "You think that by watching through a window you know the entire story -- when in reality you're so far from being right that it's nearly laughable at what you'll do just to get a little attention." Finally -- a reaction worth waiting for. "Just like two years ago when an incredibly needy and naive girl approached me -- the same girl I tore to pieces with absolutely no regret and no consequence."

"This isn't a consequence -- " It had meant to be a question, but I was finding it hard to speak with his fingers wrapped tightly around my throat, lungs slowly deflating with no air to expand. "Aiden -- stop -- "

He merely laughed, head tilting to the side with a wicked grin, "This is all too familiar, Naomi. I would've guessed you would've learned your lesson the first time -- I suppose I'll have to educate you again -- "

It was then that I realized we were no longer alone -- but that didn't stop his eyes from changing, it didn't loosen his vice grip on my throat. It's been a long time since I felt this vulnerable and my vision was slowly fading black. The last thing I can recollect was a pair of perfectly similar faces staring at me, followed by a thunderous clap and I was tossed violently to the side.

"What did I tell you?"

Ethan.

It was seemingly effortless to tell the voices apart -- while Aiden's held a very powerful boom, Ethan's was softer, although you could tell he was trying to be sharp.

"She came to me, Ethan, this isn't exactly the type of encounter I was expecting."

I snorted, hands searching for a self to bring myself upright, eyes clearing. "Please, educate me -- how were you supposed to expect this. The last thing you remember about my existence was tearing me apart -- presumably killing me." I shrugged, hand moving to rub the side of my neck, "It's not my fault you're sloppy."

It was almost like looking into a mirror -- although the differences between the two were remarkable. Nearly two years ago I couldn't tell you a single difference between the pair -- but now? Between the pair, Aiden was certainly the larger twin -- which was surprising, considering he was the younger one. He was taller, shoulders and chest more wide and defined.

"I'm not sloppy."

Another unattractive snort escaped, "Right. That's why you not only have one, but three betas you meant to kill."

"Three?"

I leaned against the book, "Three. Talia, Marcus and myself -- you really have to work on your technique, Aiden."

With that, I quickly turned on my heel, listening to the pair of alphas trail behind me -- confusion, anger and regret thickly lining the air but that didn't stop a triumphant smirk from crossing my features.

I had Aiden exactly where I wanted him.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's been so long! I've been super busy with school so I'll try to update asap!