Spirit of Vengeance

Prologue

My hand trembled uneasily as I reached out to touch my cold pale face. I didn't know what to do. What could I do? I was dead; there was nothing much I could do, even if I tried.

My fingers brushed my purpling cheek; the ice cold spark between me and my body made me flinch; my fingers glowed an eerie blue for a moment, before fading again. Slowly my red swollen eyes surveyed my battered and bruised blooded body, before examining my matching own in a puddle besides me, though I seemed more translucent. It sickened me to the core how someone so cold could have the heart to do this to me. I was only nineteen and still had a life ahead of me. I had dreams to fulfil, the perfect boyfriend to marry and have kids with and to grow old with dignity.

My eyes flickered up from the puddle to my dearest best friend, Rose. Rose sat beside my abused and broken dead body sobbing, her arms hugging her knees protectively and like me, she was trembling fiercely. Her eyes bled with mascara as she clung to her legs, choking on her pain.

Rose had just been walking home when she’d discovered her friends beaten dead body lying broken like an unloved doll in the alley. The moment she knew I wasn’t going to wake up and was no longer among the living; she broke down and called the police.

It wasn't my fault I was in this position; it was the drunken slobs who'd caught me of guard walking home from my dad’s office at the local police station. The group of five had lunged at me as I passed the alley (unaware that there was anyone there at all) before they dragged me into the darkest depths of the alley kicking and screaming, before beating me to death for no reason.

What had I done to deserve this?

In the distance the sound of wailing sirens boomed, growing louder and louder, until finally at the corner of my eye I spotted the blue flashing lights dancing of the walls of nearby buildings, before several police cars and an ambulance skidded to a halt in front of the alley entrance.

Immediately the officers scrambled out of their vehicles, guns drawn and ready for danger. Their weapons pointed towards Rose before screaming 'hands up.' She flinched and continued to sob, refusing to move from her position and a moment later the officers moved in.

Among the officers stood the chief of police Officer White and my father. He swiftly moved towards my body, screaming out my name, each cry more pained and choked and more hawkish than the last as the realisation that his daughter had been beaten to death kicked in. It reminded me painfully the moment my mother died in his arms.

Thomas White, my father was fifty three years and stood at 6ft 2, with grey combed back hair, oak brown eyes which always seemed clearer to me when he wore his black flame glasses and had been working on the force for twenty nine years.

He collapsed to his knees besides my cold beaten corpse, tears streaming down his cheeks as he scooped me up in his arm, screaming for the heavens to bring me back to him, but it was no use. I sighed in pain and wrapped my arms around him. Though he couldn’t feel it, it comforted me to do so.

"P-p-please, m-m-my friend was b-b-” Rose burst into another cry of pain at the sight of Alice’s father. Screams of horror escaped her quivering lips and guilt over whelmed her, until finally my uncle, also an officer scooped her up in his arms, and she clung to him for dear life.

I stood up to watch my friend being carried away and two other officers separate my grieving father from my body. Above the clouds rumbled and a streak of lighting lit up the blacked gloomy sky like a firework, followed by several more as the wind seemed to pick up. I wasn’t sad that I was dead; I knew that one day I was going to die, but when and where, how and why, I never knew. All I knew was that everybody had to die someday whether when it was the day you were born or if you died of old age or anywhere in-between.

No, I defiantly wasn’t grieving over my own death, I was more furious at the men who killed me and left me lying there for my best friend to find and further more my father, men who killed me for no damn reason, men I was going to take my vengeance on for doing so.

A hawk like scream escaped my lips, a scream which echoed though the alley making the officers jump in surprise as if hearing my cry of vengeance, before they quickly dropped to the floor as the windows shattered around them, until they finally clambered to their feet and my screaming stopped as it turned into sobbing and I collapsed to the floor in a shuddering heap. The rain began to tumble down around me soaking every inch of me, though I never thought it was possible, even though it didn’t bother me in the slightest.

I was dead and I wasn’t coming back, but I was going to make sure I would take my revenge someday, not just for myself, but for my family and my friends also.