Status: Active

Walk Away

two

Journal Entry 1
Hi. My name is Avery. I’m seven-years-old. My house is pretty secluded from our miniature village. It’s hidden by trees so we’re kind of in a forest. I have a little sister named Mia, but we nicknamed her Mimi. She’s only three. We live together with our parents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Avery, it’s time to eat!”
“Coming, mama!!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gotta go, bye bye journal!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She shut the journal closed and placed it on top of her desk neatly, setting the pen down parallel before getting off of her chair and scurrying to the dinner table.

“Haha, there’s my beautiful Avery! Come, we’ve just started to eat, my dear,” John swooped her into a hug and set her down in her seat.

John Kindler was intelligent, working as a highly respected man for the village. He took care of the financial troubles and social happenings, supplying the role as mayor, but everyone knew John was a tool to the real mayor. With this in mind, John was always the more favored of the two anyways, with his legendary smile that gave off a feeling of relief and security. Clara Kindler, his lovely wife, was similar in almost every aspect; the brains, and the skills, everything that seemed to make her more perfect. She did housework most of the time, but everyone always rushed to knock on her door for her console and advice.

“Mommy, I finished my dinner. Can me and Mimi go play outside?” begged Avery.

“Mimi and I, and just be careful Avery! Put on your coat before you go outside!”

“Ya ya, I know!”

She dashed out the door with Mimi in her arms, quickly running towards the town. Avery was always stubborn, never following what her mom told her to do.

Running along the dirt path, Avery looked down to check Mimi’s status, coincidentally bumping into an object about seven inches taller than her, with light-brown hair that swooped across his forehead.

“Woah there, tiger, careful where you’re going. Always clumsy, aren’t you, my dear?” He winked with that smile of his.

“Awww, it’s only Trey. It’s fine, I thought you were someone important!” Giggling, Avery had realized a faint whimper from below her.

Trey was a childhood friend, the older, brotherly figure that the family lacked. He accompanied the girls as well as helped around their house, acting as a second child to the family.

“Ouch! I have feelings too, Avery,” Trey looked down, occasionally showing her a puppy dog look that was hard to look away from. “Now look what you’ve done, Mimi is just as upset as I am!”

“Quit pouting! Say, wanna join us? We’re going into town to play!” She kissed Mimi’s forehead as the cries ceased.

“Nah, I’ve got to help my pops. Maybe next time, okay, kiddo?”

“Alright!” She said cheerfully as he ruffled her hair and gave her a pat on the head.

“Well, off into town then!” Avery and Mimi strolled along and ran into a flower shop just on the edge of town.

☼ ☽ ❤ ☾ ☼

“Hello Mister!”

“Oh look, how is this fine young lady I see here?” The man working the flower stand laughed as he stepped out from the backrooms to see the visitors giggling.

“It’s us, Avery and Mimi! Mornin’ Mr. Garffer, will you tell Mrs. Garffer I said good morning?”

“Certainly! Would you like a flower? We just picked some today, fresh and beautiful from the gardens!” Mr. Garffer turned around without waiting for an answer and offered four lovely Tiger Bells to the girls. Mimi giggled as he tickled her with the flowers.

Avery reached into her little purse that she always wore and dug out a few coins, setting them on the table of the stand.

“Oh no, mi’ lady, I can’t accept this. The flowers are free!”

“Then it’s tip! Thank you for the flowers, Mr. Garffer, and have a great day!” Avery gave the kind man one last smile before turning around and heading deeper into town.

“Thank you, thank you so much! May your future brighten with every step you take!”

☼ ☽ ❤ ☾ ☼

*6 years later*

She woke up to the sight and smell of crisp flames, lighting the dark velvety blue sky with colors of red, orange, and yellow.

What…what’s going on?!

Quickly, Avery lept off her bed only to jump back on after finding that the fire had already made its way to her floor.

Screaming, she yelled what came to her mind first. “MOMMY, DADDY! SOMEONE HELP ME!! MIMI, MIMI WHERE ARE YOU??.” Her piercing scream accompanied the screams of agony, pain, desperate screams for help.

The flames were moving fast, and Avery was trapped on her bed, pounding the walls, until the fire started to engage on her. Her bed made of wood lit up quickly and she was flung off onto the floor, burning hot with cruel ashes and remains of what was left. There was no time to kill thinking about what to bring. She scampered across the floor to her desk, yanking open the torched drawers hoping to not be met with ashes. Tears put the smallest of flames out, and a drop from her eye sizzled on her arm. Her hand searched the area quickly and grabbed the items as she dashed toward the windows. The fire ate at her long hair dangling behind.

Avery looked out the window, realizing it was her only exit before the flames got too hot.

“LANDON,” she cried as tears streamed endlessly down her face, “LANDON, WHERE ARE YOU, I NEED YOU. LANDON, I NEED YOU NOW! LANDON, OH LANDON, WHERE ARE YOU?!”

She recalled the past as his voice rang in her ear, “Be calm, my love. I’ll always be here for you. I promise.”

Landon, you promised me. I’ll wait for you. I’ll wait for you to save me. Where are you, Landon, my love?


Out the window, she could see her family, giving the house one last glance, her mother’s eyes glistening with water, and her father turning away in pain.

What pained her most was a small speck that she made out far away. The fluffy blonde hair that was recognizable to her anywhere from any distance. The one she loved, the one she counted on, had not moved an inch to save her.

It pained her to see, scarred her heart, more than the fire. It melted her heart until the cold could take over, sculpting it into a hideous, untrusting, provider of hatred.

One more noise pierced the sky that night. The sound of her last scream with the sounds of shattered glass.

☼ ☽ ❤ ☾ ☼

Why weren’t you there when I needed you? Why didn’t you try? Why did you just walk away?