Status: We are what we are; don't need no excuses for the scars from our mothers, and we know what we know 'cause we're made of all the little bones of our fathers.

The Last Wolf

Chapter Nineteen

Macon stood almost a foot taller than my average height. The warm breeze ruffled his short sandy curls as if he was its child, and a beautiful grin spread across his face while he reveled in the glory of it. I still had no clue where he was taking me, but we walked along a path that took us to a field of tall grass. He must’ve forgotten about me for a moment because he skipped in front of me a few times before I giggled. At that moment, he reminded me of how I imagined an innocent wolf pup would act and play. He turned around, walking backwards, and watched me laugh.

Birds floated above our heads, chirping cheerfully as they swam on the breeze. They were real birds, not people in disguise; it was obvious once Macon pointed out the difference in the tail feathers. “Phoenix told me.” He stopped walking and motioned for me to come stand in front of him. He pulled my arm towards the birds and pointed with my finger. “See the discoloration in the blue bird’s feathers? And that red one over there? Even the raven doesn’t have perfectly black feathers, but when Phoenix shifts, all of her feathers are exact. They are perfect every time.”

I remembered the way Colt looked at her, the smile he gave her. Macon’s eyes were filled with respect, but the way he leaned against me, pointed my arm, and snaked his arm around my waist led me to believe Phoenix wasn’t the girl he was thinking about while he spoke. My cheeks burned as I wriggled free of his arms.

“Where are we going, Pretty Boy?” I grinned as his nickname rolled off my tongue.

He grabbed my hips before gently pulling me back to him. His lips came dangerously close to my ear before he whispered, “we’re almost there.” A shiver crawled down my spine as he drew away from me. The blush that burned my cheeks before doused them in flames now. Macon laughed while he turned and sprinted away.

“Hey!” I yelled before I raced after him.

“Keep up, Luna!”

For a boy who claimed to be normal, except for his werewolf gene, Macon was fast! I threw everything I had into catching up with him, but when I caught up he just grinned and jogged along. His breathing seemed normal, as if he hadn’t run at all. I panted and gasped like I’d just run the annual triathlon. “I.” Deep breath. “Hate.” Another deep breath. “You!”

“Someone’s awful jealous.” He shrugged his shoulders and jogged in place wearing his Cheshire grin. “I thought you were supposed to be a werewolf?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be human?”

He stopped jogging, held out his hand, and stared at me for a long moment. I took several breaths before my breathing stabilized then I took his hand. “See that hill?” He pointed to a slope roughly 10 yards ahead of us. I nodded. “We’re going over it. That’s still considered our land, but there are all sorts of animals that use the small pond as an oasis.”

“Oasis?” I repeated his word as I stared toward it.

“Yeah, the animals won’t run from us, even in our human skins.”

I smiled and squeezed his hand. “Let’s go!”

Image

Colt sat, in his wolf form, listing and smelling the dense forest air. His fur stood on edge as he waited for the noise to happen again. Twigs snapped in the distance, but there was no massive thud like the one he’d heard before. He stood and shook the badness from his bones. ‘It’s nothing,’ Cold thought as he began trotting through the wood again.

He tried to envision anything other than the wound he left on Dahlia’s arm. Blood oozing from her slightly tanned skin. During the whole incident she kept repeating “it’s okay, Colt. Let go,” and “don’t hurt him!” Colt wished someone hurt him even though Dahlia begged everyone not to.

A twig snapped closer to him. He turned snarling at the tree where the sound came from. His growl echoed among the eerie trees, every muscle in his body tensed, but there was nothing. A fierce howl broke free; Colt never expected to be answered.

Image

I gasped as the trees and grass parted into an open field surrounding a gorgeous crystal blue pond. There were deer fawns wobbling close to their mothers, a heard of while horses neighed softly by the edge, birds lingered in the trees, and a lone mountain lion stalked in the distance but never attacked. Time stood still for these beautiful animals while they lived in a world of perfect peace. I stepped forward, covered my mouth with my hand, and grinned in awe. “Macon!”

“I told you,” he whispered against my ear. His smile reached the far corners of his face as dimples made themselves visible. A blush crept across his cheeks. I’d never seen a more adorable boy in my life; the wolf in me wanted to question his innocent act, but the teenage girl won.

“Can we get closer?”

“Of course we can.” He tugged my hand and took a few steps forward. His fingers pressed mine into the coat of a precious fawn lying next to its mother. The doe watched our every move, but didn’t try to force us away. I’d never felt anything so soft in my life. Macon laughed as the fawn pressed its cold nose to my uninjured arm.

“Oh, Macon,” I sighed, “this is beautiful.” I scratched behind the fawn’s tiny ear. It made a sort of cooing noise at me as its hind leg shook causing me to giggle.

“Come on,” Macon took my hand again. “Let’s go see who else we can make friends with?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this is late guys. My mom had to have dental work done. She got all her teeth pulled so she could get a set of dentures. They look ten times better than her teeth did because she had this gum disease that starts with a 'p' or it sounds like it starts with a 'p'. Either way her teeth were like crumbling in her mouth before she did this. She likes her new teeth and yeah she's been showing them off. But I was in the office with her all day yesterday, and today I had to take her to the eye doctor cause she can't drive... Being a good daughter is time consuming. Goodness!!

Thanks for reading, being patient, and sticking with me on this epic story. If you're interested in another shapeshifter story from me feel free to go check out Star Keeper. Chapter two got posted yesterday in the middle of all the chaos.