Status: We are what we are; don't need no excuses for the scars from our mothers, and we know what we know 'cause we're made of all the little bones of our fathers.

The Last Wolf

Chapter Five

I awoke, filthy and bloody, in the middle of the woods. The early morning sun was long gone as the noon sun lingered in the dense thicket. Shade from tall pine trees offered little protection from the heat of the day while their discarded needles softened the patch of ground I used as a bed. Rolling over, preparing to push myself off the ground, a gasp slipped from my throat as a bunny’s cold, lifeless, black eyes stared at me. Grey fur stained crimson spread through the pine needles while bloody bones connected the rabbit’s fluffy tail to its lifeless eyes. I cupped my hand over my lips before more gasps could escape, but something was very wrong.

My fingers found something dried on my chin and lips. Coppery red crumbs fell from my face when I tried to rub at it. I found dark streaks covering my bare arms, my clothes ripped and hardly hanging on my sore skin. I vaguely remembered seeing an auburn snout, the same color as my hair, on the surface of the river. The animal had the same color eyes as me.

Quickly picking myself off the ground, I began listening for any sound of running water. My first thought involved getting this dried crust off my face; the second goal was to track down the doctor. White River tried to confirm something, but my father shut him down. I had to know for sure what I was.

Image


I walked for nearly three hours, not finding an exit to the woods, while wondering what else could possibly go wrong. Thunder answered my question as lightning streaked across the gloomy sky; I quickened my pace praying the rain would hold off a little longer. The first drop scattered across the bridge of my nose. “Great,” I scoffed to myself.

Another flash of lightning reflected off a nearby window causing me to nearly start running towards the pane, but it was sloppily hidden behind a thicket of trees and bushes. I made my way carefully to the window and knocked loudly three times. Nothing happened, I knocked again, “Hello? Is someone there?!?” A small patch of briars moved slowly creaking open, a familiar tune floated from the entrance. I walked closer to the door before I caught a glimpse of long white hair cascading into soft curls while sweet herbal scents flooded my nostrils.

“Welcome, child,” his voice filled with musical laughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
I messed up and deleted this by accident because I thought I screwed up and gave you guys the wrong chapter... sorry freak out mode.... anyways, you're still getting a really good update tomorrow. Leave comments and subscribe, please.

To make up for my error... This is what Dr. White River looks like in my head.. White River