Status: We are what we are; don't need no excuses for the scars from our mothers, and we know what we know 'cause we're made of all the little bones of our fathers.

The Last Wolf

Chapter Seven

White River shrugged his shoulders and laughed nervously as he pointed to a path in the opposite direction of the piercing eyes towards a footpath. “We are going this way, it will lead us to my car,” he smiled as he glanced over his shoulder.

“I thought I saw something,” I blurted as we neared the path.

“The thick trees and brush have a way of playing tricks on young minds, Dahlia.”

“It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I could feel it,” I insisted.

“Please,” his stoic features faced me, “stop trying to figure this out. You are not ready yet!”

“Ready for what!”

“The truth,” he barked. A lone howl echoed through the trees before he grabbed my arm, dragging me along the path. “Go home, be with your parents. Stop trying to figure this out. On the next full moon, you will get sick again. Your mother will call me; I will insist on taking you to a hospital for her benefit, but you need to be a normal girl until then. Do not draw suspicion.”

“Why would I be suspicious?” Nothing he was spewing made any sense. How could I be anything other than normal, with the exception of whatever happened the night before?

His glared told me to stay quiet as our pace quickened. Low growls rumbled through the thicket of bushes and trees before several huge ravens squawked. My nerves trembled throughout my body with each screech. Something was getting too close, and the animals were warning us, at least I thought they were.

We burst through the tree line where White River’s car was parked just as ravage growling broke the eerie bird calls. He shoved me in his beat up, old truck before climbing behind the steering wheel and gunning it. I have never seen an older person drive so recklessly, while circling back to make sure no one was in pursuit.

I didn’t realize how afraid I’d become until my pale yellow, two story house came into view. My father paced across the top of the front steps while my mother rocked nervously in the chair her father made for her wedding present. I nearly leaped from the truck before it stopped moving as I ran into my father’s open arms. He breathed heavily planting a few kisses on my forehead before pushing me back to get a better look at me.

“Are you hurt? Where have you been; I was so worried,” he half cried before pulling me back into an embrace. My mother rushed towards us grabbing me out of his arms.

“Did your fever break? You look like you haven’t slept at all, and you smell horrible,” she cringed.

“She is fine. I found her wondering around late last night,” White river interrupted. “I looked her over this morning; her sickness seems to be gone.” He shot a wary look at my father.

“Let’s go into my office while Sam helps Dahlia get cleaned up a bit. I think we have something to discuss,” my father stated, raising his brow and nodding towards the house.

My mother took my hand and led me to the upstairs bathroom while my father took White River into a room at the back of the house on the first floor. Mom ran a steamy tub of water throwing in bath beads, salts, and a fizzy ball for my aching muscles before going to the kitchen to make something for us to eat. I lowered myself into the tub, sighing in relief.

“I hope, White River is wrong,” I whispered to myself, “I seriously don’t want this to happen again next month.” I closed my eyes and let my body float as the fragrant water eased my crazed mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for such a short chapter guys. I'm just really tired today, and not feeling all that well... My meds didn't really kick in today, but at the end of this month I go back for my blood tests to see if we can get the dosage upped. If any of you guys know what a hypoactive thyroid gland is, you'll understand that its really hard to function when you're not on meds or trying to get the dosage right.
Image