Status: one shot

The Sun Won't Set Until You Appear

Soon I will show you how a heart can never fail.

(Austin's p.o.v.)

It was 5:30. My shift was finally over.

I couldn't contain my excitement for tonight, it was one of the most important nights of my entire life.

Today- Valentine's Day- marks three years of Alan and I being together. The best decision I ever made.

After everything I've gone through, every little thing, good or bad, Alan has always been by my side. He's my best friend, my rock, the person I would die without.

Years of sadness and heartbreak- the loss of my mother, a bad marriage, heart surgery, loss of friends- I have every reason to be hurt, sick, and downright broken, but I'm not.

Alan is the reason why.

I still remember the first time we met. I was working my shift at the music store one Tuesday morning. Business was slow, but I didn't mind. It gave me enough time to catch up on sleep I had missed due to a party from the night previous. I was out cold, and I didn't even hear the ringing of the bell that rang whenever someone walked into the store. I remember slowly falling into a deep sleep when a loud "hey!" awoke me.

And when I opened my eyes, all I saw was perfection.

"Oh, oh my god. I'm so sorry, man."

"No, no." The guy said, chuckling. "It's fine. You looked pretty cute asleep for the record."

I could feel heat in my cheeks and butterflies in my stomach.

"Did you need anything?" I asked, standing up and rubbing my eyes.

"Yes, actually. I need her." He replied, pointing to a black ESP guitar sitting on one of the top shelves.

I smiled at him, which he gladly returned. "Good choice. She's lovely."

"Yeah, I came in one day, and the minute I saw her, I fell in love." He said. "I've been saving up for it."

"Hold on, let me get a stepping stool to get her." I said, going into the back room behind the counter.

"You're not tall enough? Surprising, Austin." He said, reading my name tag.

"Do you want her or not?" I retorted, sticking my tongue out at him. He smirked.

After getting her down with her own case and pick set, I rang her up.

"Alright, your total is $1950." I said, placing the guitar into the case.

"Fuck yeah. This is so worth saving paychecks." He said happily as he handed me his credit card.

"Was it worth waking me up as well?" I joked, swiping the card.

"Seeing those brown eyes made it even more worth it." He said in a way that I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

Nonetheless, I smiled at him. As I handed him his receipt and card, our hands touched, sending sparks that I knew he felt too. I also knew by the blush that accompanied him afterwards.

"Do you wanna hang out some time?" He asked, smiling shyly.

"I don't even know your name and you're asking me out on a date." I said, smiling.

"It's Alan." He stated.

"Well, Alan." I said. "It would be a pleasure hanging out with you."

His smile grew into a grin. "When does your shift end?"

"At noon. My friend Tino works the rest of the day." I replied, handing him his guitar.

"How about I pick you up? We could get lunch, or anything really." He said, grabbing his keys from his pocket.

"That sounds perfect." I stated, leaning against the counter.

"I'm going to let you catch up on your beauty sleep." He said, winking. "But I'll be here soon. You better not flirt with any cute guys while I'm gone, you hear?"

"There's no one cuter to flirt with than you." I joked. He chuckled before walking out.


I can't help but smile thinking about that day. I remember being so tired, I fell asleep at his place after we went to lunch. We started hanging out more and more, it got to the point where we practically lived with each other.

It was a couple months after that day when Alan asked me to be his boyfriend.

We had gone out drinking the night before, and Alan had decided to crash at my apartment. When we came back, we were so tired, that Alan didn't realize he had fallen asleep in my bed. Not wanting to wake him, I slipped into bed, whispering goodnight even though I knew he didn't hear me and turning off the lights.

When I woke up that morning, Alan had a grin plastered to his face.

"What are you beaming about?" I asked.

"You're a good cuddler." He replied.

It took me a few seconds to process what he had said and to realize we were wrapped in each others' arms.

"Oh." I choked, cheeks turning red. "Sorry, I-"

He cut me off by kissing me lightly on the lips. I kissed him back in shock, enjoying every minute of his lips against mine. I had never felt this way sharing a kiss with someone.

It was like fireworks.

When we pulled away, we smiled. "Happy Valentine's Day, Austin. Will you be my boyfriend?"


Everything just fell into place after that.

Alan eventually learned my dark secrets, and I learned all of his. We had nothing to hide from each other, and we never did. We were there, from rising to the top to falling down to the bottom, we never left each other.

After everything he's done for me, I couldn't imagine myself with anyone other than him. He's the one, he always had been.

"Hello, I'd like to make a reservation." I said as I clocked out.

"For how many and at what time?" The woman asked.

"It's for two at 6." I replied.

"Can I get a name?"

"Austin." I stated.

"Well Austin, you are a very lucky man. We had only one opening left the entire night, and you got it." She said.

"Thank you so much." I said, quickly hanging up and driving to our new apartment.

After hitting the elevator and going up to our floor, I placed a stuffed ginger cat along with a bouquet of roses I bought earlier in my hand before opening my door.

"Baby? I'm home." I called out.

Alan came in from our bedroom, gasping at the gifts in my hand.

"Are these for me? "He asked, smiling.

"No, there for Mrs. Smith next door." I teased. He laughed and set them down on the glass coffee table before wrapping his arms around me and giving me an affectionate kiss.

"That's not the only thing." I said, breaking the kiss and resting my forehead against his. "We've got dinner reservations in thirty minutes."

"You're too good to me." He said, grabbing my hands and leading me into the bedroom.

We headed out quickly, not wanting to be late to dinner.

"You know what today is, right?" He asked, squeezing my hand as I drove downtown.

"How could I forget the most important day of my life?" I said, smiling.

After what seemed like hours trying to find parking, Alan and I made it to the restaurant five minutes before our dinner was scheduled. The waitress smiled at Alan and I as she lead us to a table for two.

I had to check my pocket to make sure it was still there, and before I asked, I went to the bathroom to practice because I was nervous I would mess up.

"Will you marry me?" No, too simple.

"I liked it so I put a ring on it." What was I thinking?

"Oooh, someone's proposing tonight. Lucky girl." I turned to see a well dressed man wearing a bright smile.

"Lucky guy." I corrected.

"Even better." He replied. "I'm here with my fiancé of five years. I wish you the best of luck. Oh and by the way, just tell him the reason why you love him, tell it from the heart."

"Thank you so much." I said, grinning at him.

I walked out of the bathroom, taking a deep breath as I approached our table.

"Alan." I said, getting his attention.

I got down on my knee, earning gasps from other tables and Alan himself as I pulled out a small box with an engagement ring inside.

"These three years spent with you have been the best years of my life. And after all I've been through, this is the happiest I've ever been in such a long time. You have no idea how happy I am that you woke me up that Tuesday morning at the store, because that was the first day I had actually smiled, and that's all I've ever done since meeting you that day. You bring me nothing but happiness and joy and love. I could never love someone more than I love you. You're my best friend, the love of my life, and Alan Anthony Ashby, I couldn't imagine living a better life without you being a part of it. Will you marry me?"

I looked up to see him grinning, tears running down his face.

"Yes, Austin. Yes." He replied, sniffling as I put the ring on his finger. I stood up, taking him up with me as I kissed him, in front if everybody in the restaurant. We got claps and cheers in response, and as we pulled away, I saw that same guy from the bathroom standing up clapping with his fiancé. I grinned at him, which he returned.

I had already paid earlier, so I grabbed Alan's hand and we left, earning more cheers and "congrats" from staff workers and customers.

As we walked across the street to get to our car, Alan squeezed my hand.

"I-I can't believe you did all this. I love you so much." He said, looking up at me with a smile.

"All the things I do for you are out of love, which is the only thing I feel for you."

♠ ♠ ♠
hey ◕ ‿ ◕
so for any of you guys wondering where this is from you should read this
this is for her
i hope you guys enjoyed! i had so much fun writing this ◡‿◡✿
if you're reading this, i love you (ɔˆ ³(ˆ⌣ˆc)