The Start

Chapter 8

It had been two painfully long days since Jaime hadn’t opened his eyes. Tony couldn’t take it anymore. It was lasting way too long and he had nothing to do. The only thing he ever did was sitting on that really uncomfortable chair, waiting for Jaime to wake up. He still couldn’t understand why he had tried to kill himself two days ago, but he was glad that he called him because if he hadn’t, there wouldn’t be any chances left for Jaime to be alive. He’d be dead. The thought of Jaime dead made Tony sick. He couldn’t imagine a world in which the Mexican boy wouldn’t be here. He couldn’t imagine a world where nobody would be able to hear his laugh. He couldn’t imagine his life without Jaime being in it. He didn’t want to. That didn’t have to happen anyway. He looked at the unconscious man lying on the hospital bed and sighed. Why did he let it happen? Why hadn’t he realized that Jaime wasn’t okay when they last spoke? He started sobbing nervously. What if Jaime never woke up? He’d never forgive himself, he knew it. Somebody knocked on the door. Tony knew it was Vic. He was the only one apart from him who came to check on Jaime everyday. He ignored Vic’s footsteps towards him and kept looking at the man he loved. Vic patted his shoulder, but Tony kept ignoring him. It was their fault if Jaime ended up like this and Vic didn’t realize that. He wasn’t blaming himself at all and Tony hated him for that. He handed him a cup of coffee which Tony refused by shaking his head. He didn’t want to live like a ‘normal person’ as long as Jaime wasn’t awake. He didn’t want to live without Jaime. Despite his attempts at trying to act nicely towards Tony, Vic didn’t say a word, just like everyday. Tony was dying to know he didn’t try to talk to him at all. Not that he’d answer if he did, but it simply didn’t make sense. Vic’s actions didn’t make sense. Tony eventually managed to convince himself that he was alone with Jaime and took his hand. He noticed that it was somewhat warm, which surprised Tony, but in a positive way. If Jaime’s hand was warm, that obviously meant that he was still alive. He gave it a small squeeze, waiting for a reaction from Jaime, but nothing happened. He just wanted him to open his eyes and tell him that everything was okay. He wouldn’t leave this room before this eventually happened. He let go of Jaime’s hand and felt Vic’s eyes landing on him, which was something that hadn’t happened until now. Tony looked back at him, his eyes watering. The oldest man walked up to the tattooed one and wrapped his arms around him tightly, kissing the top of his head gently. Tony didn’t know how to react. He didn’t even move. He just let Vic hold him and started crying. He had been holding his tears back ever since Jaime had called him.
“I promise he’ll be okay,” Vic whispered, looking down at Tony.
“It’s my fault,” Tony sniffled. “It’s my entire fault. This would have never happened if I had let you guys be happy with each other. I ruined it all and I’m about to lose the man I love more than anything in the world because of what I did. I always ruin everything. It should be me on this bed instead of him, Vic. He doesn’t deserve that. I do. You have no idea how much I hate myself for what’s happening. I’m sorry, but this won’t change anything.”
Vic tightened his arms around Tony’s body. He didn’t know how to comfort his friend. They both remained silent, looking at Jaime’s unconscious body. They were dying to see him move, even just the slightest. They knew he was alive, but it didn’t feel like because lying on a bed sleeping all day definitely wasn’t something that Jaime would ever do. Vic slowly let go of Tony ho remained silent. He had nothing else to say. Everything went back to what it had been ever since Jaime had got in the hospital: Tony and Vic were sitting next to Jaime’s bed, acting as if they were alone with Jaime.
Tony was sick of the nurses and doctors telling him to ‘go home’. He didn’t want to, no matter how many days he’d spend sitting in this hospital room until the man he loved eventually woke up, which was something he wouldn’t miss for anything in the whole world. He actually liked the fact that the hospital’s corridors were never quiet. This kept him away from ever falling asleep. He looked down for a while and rubbed his eyes. He felt really tired, but he couldn’t sleep. Even if he tried to, he wouldn’t be able to. He was way too worried about Jaime. When he looked back up at the other man in the room, Tony couldn’t help smiling. Jaime’s eyes were open and he was looking at him with a soft smile on his face. Tony felt butterflies filling his stomach. He wanted to scream, to hold Jaime close to him and never let him ago again, but instead, he simply took his hand. They laced their fingers and gazed at each other lovingly for a long while. Tony’s eyes filled with tears which rolled down his cheek. Jaime let go of his lover’s hand and placed it on his cheek.
“No, turtle, don’t cry,” he breathed weakly.
Tony smiled and nodded. He wasn’t crying because he was sad, but because he was happy and relieved. Jaime was alive and he didn’t seem to be mad at him. He then explained him that he had to go get someone so they could check on him and everything. The tattooed Mexican man was about to open the room’s door when he heard Jaime trying to mumble something. He turned back at him and blinked. He wanted to tell Jaime that he was too weak to talk for now, but he looked like he really needed to get this out. He kneeled down and took Jaime’s hand, letting him say what he had to tell him.
“I-I l-lo-love… you,” Jaime mouthed, trying his hardest to pronounce the words correctly so that Tony could understand him. “I-I pro-promise… I pr-promise I… W-won’t ever h-hurt you a-any-anymore…”
“I love you, too, Jaime. I always will,” Tony replied before pressing his lips gently against Jaime’s.