‹ Prequel: Let Me Perfect It

Right Back Where We Started

Don't Give Up On Me

Image


William's POV:

"Hey man, have you seen Molly?"

"Sorry Gabe," I shrugged "I haven't seen any of the girls yet."

"Really?" Gabe laughed "Aren't you and Sophie attached at the hip?"

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my drink "You should have been there the first tour I did with One Last Request. Sophie hated me so we fought like cats in a bag to the point that they rest of the bands decided we need to work things out and we got handcuffed together."

"Sound like a good time to me," Gabe laughed. "I'm guessing that is how you two ended up dating."

I smiled at the memory, that was when Sophie first told me about her parents and apologized for the way she had been treating me. It was the first time Sophie had let down all her walls and willingly let someone in and then I screwed it all up. "For a short time yes."

"If you see Molly will you let her know I'm looking for her?"

I was glad that Molly and Gabe had hit it off, I had always felt bad that the bad blood between Sophie and I had ruined her and Sisky's budding relationship all those years ago.

"Sure thing man," I answered, before watching my friend slip away into the crowd.

Sophie had seemed so matter of fact that she didn't care and wasn't concerned her parents were coming to see her in a few days, but Chloe seemed very wound up about the situation. Did Chloe know something about Sophie's parents that I didn't? I had thought that Sophie had told me everything when she first explained her reasons for being distant with people. Then Sophie and Chloe had been friends from such a young age, there was a lot of history there I did not know.

One thing was for sure, if it was a situation where Chloe had awaken her inter Sophie and was being so protective then it was serious. I set off in search of Sophie, until this whole thing was resolved I was not going to let her out of my sight. It did not take long for me to find her, sitting in a lawn chair with a cup in each hand.

"Two drinks?" I chuckled, taking a seat in the chair next to her.

"William!" Sophie grinned "I was just looking for you!"

"Must not have been looking very hard," I laughed, plucking one of the cups from her hand "You can't complete a very good search from a lawn chair."

"But I found you," she smiled, getting up from her seat.

I laughed again as she sat down in my lap and threw her legs over the arm of the chair "What on earth are you doing?"

"Making sure you don't escape." she grinned and took a drink from her remaining cup.

"Since when have I ever tried to get away from you?" I asked and took a sip from the cup I had taken from her and wrinkled my nose. "Also, since when do you drink cranberry and vodka?"

"It was Chloe's" Sophie sighed, resting her head on my shoulder "Brendon made it for her, but I took it away because she can't drink right now."

I frowned "Why can't Chloe drink?"

Had I missed another major event?

"Shhhhh," Sophie placed a finger to my lips "Can't tell anyone."

"Alright," I chuckled, knowing it wouldn't be fair to push Sophie for more information, she had been drinking and I doubted Chloe would appreciate me sticking my nose in her business. "You know you are absolutely adorable Sophie."

"Nooooo," she shook her head, "you are!"

"How much have you had to drink?" I smiled, tucking some of her hair behind her ear.

"How much have you not had to drink?" she countered "You are completely sober!"

"I've had a couple, I'm just not drinking much tonight."

"And why not?" she huffed, trying to get me to take a drink from her cup.

I swatted her hand away with a smile. "I have to keep my eye on you, silly. I can't do that if I am drunk."

"Or" Sophie answered "we could both be drunk and keep an eye on each other."

"How about-" I was cut off as Sophie pressed her lips to mine. She wrapped her arms around my neck as I deepened the kiss, pulling her close against me. It only lasted a moment before I remembered she had been drinking and pulled away.

"Hey," she pouted as I broke the kiss.

"You've been drinking Sophie," I sighed, running my fingers through her multicolored hair.

"Am I a bad kisser when I've been drinking?" she pouted, her hazel eyes big and sad.

I couldn't help but laugh at her "Of course not, it just wouldn't be fair for me to let you kiss me when you are not thinking clearly."

"I don't deserve you." she sighed and rested her head on my shoulder.

"What do you mean?" I frowned, looking down at her.

"Can we go watch Peter Pan?" she asked, sitting up randomly and grinning again.

"The party just started" I laughed "You want to leave already? You'll break Alex's heart, it is his birthday after all."

"It's Peter Pan," Sophie answered looking at me like I was the one being silly, and got off my lap to pull me to my feet "Alex will understand. Don't you wanna watch a movie and cuddle with me?"

"Of course I do," I laughed as she pulled me through the crowd of party goers.

"Well then that is what we are gonna do."

I rolled my eyes but allowed Sophie to pull me to my bus. At least on my bus I could keep an eye on her easier and wouldn't have to worry about loosing her in the crowd. She attempted to enter in the pass code to my bus three times before stepping aside and letting me do it instead. Sophie flopped across the couch as I turned on the small TV and searched for the Peter Pan DVD she kept on my bus.

"Where am I suppose to sit?" I asked folding my arms and smirking down at her "You are taking up the entire couch."

"No I'm not," Sophie grinned up at me, as she spread out even more across the couch. "There is plenty of space."

"Yeah? Where would that be? I'm too big to fit on your lap."

"I can fit in your lap." she looked up at me, a small smile tugging at the edge of her lips.

I had to look away from Sophie for a moment as I felt her pluck the breath from my lungs. It had been a long time since Sophie had given me a look like that. She could have asked me for anything in the world at that moment and I would have broken every bone to give her whatever she asked for. It was just a relaxed and loving look with a tint of mischief behind her eyes. It had been years since she had given me a look like that.

"Sophie," I sighed burying my face in my hand for a moment.

"Did I upset you?"

I lowered my hand to find Sophie now standing in front of me, looking upset and concerned. I smiled at her weakly "No, you didn't I just-"

"I don't like upsetting you," she looked at me sadly "I don't like lying to you."

I frowned "What have you been lying about?"

She leaned up on her tip toes and brushed her lips against mine softly and it took everything I had not to pick up where the last kiss had left off. This girl was going to be the death of me I swear.

"I love you, William." she spoke softly, I could feel her breath on lips "I never stopped loving you and everyday I tell you I just want to be friends. That is the biggest lie I've ever told."

"What am I suppose to do with that Sophie?" I asked, just as softly as she had spoken, feeling my heart race faster than a humming birds. "You aren't going to remember telling me this in the morning, if it is even how sober Sophie really feels."

"Just keep loving me please." she almost begged, giving me a soft peck on the lips "Sober Sophie will admit it sooner or later, just don't give up on me until then."

"I could never give up on you, Soph."

-------------------------------

Sophie's POV:

I awoke the next morning with my head feeling like it was ready to crack open. I noticed I was not on my bus but on William's couch on his bus and that I was asleep on his chest. I pulled the blanket that he had placed over us over my head and listened to the sounds of the bus moving.

I had fallen asleep on William's bus and now I was stuck here until we reached Texas, which was a few hours away. Normally this would not bother me but I did not have a change of clothes and the clothes i had worn to the party were not exactly comfy. I sighed and began poking William in the face with my index finger until he woke up.

"What are you doing?" he groaned, swatting my hand away.

"Why am I asleep on your bus and where are the pain killers?" I asked, resuming to attack his face.

William opened one eye and looked over at me sleepily. "You were drunk and insisted that we ditch Alex's party and watch Peter Pan."

"That does sound like me." I laughed "Pain killers, my head is pounding."

"I would go get them for you," William smiled.

"But?"

"But then I would have to get up and I like having you snuggled up to me."

"William," I wined, pouting.

He grinned and rolled his eyes before getting up off the couch. "Would you like water or tea with that?"

"Water please."

"Stuck in love with you, take a look at what you got me into"

"Hello?" I mumbled into my phone.

"How is the head?" came Chloe's laugh from my phone.

"William is getting me something for it."

"Yeah, he texted Brendon to let me know you dragged him off to his bus. I hope you behaved yourself."

"Lets not talk about behaving ourselves Mama Bear." I laughed "Did you call just to make my headache worse?"

Chloe laughed "I'm sure it must feel like that but please let me know if you hear more from your so-called mother. I'm tempted to call my own mom and tell her what's up."

My eyes widened "Please don't?" I requested begged. "I don't want her to feel like she still has to take care of me after all these years."

"Sophie. Your basically her own daughter anyways. But I wont tell her if you don't want me to, unless she gets bad. Okay?"

"Fine. I'll tell you if I hear anything. I'm hanging up now, my head is going to burst and I think William finally found his Advil." before letting her respond, I ended the call.

"Here," William mumbled, handing me a bottle of water and two pills.

"Thank you," I sighed leaning into him as he rejoined me on the couch "I owe you one."

William smiled down at me "I'll remember that," he glanced at his watch "we have another few hours before we get to Texas. What would you like to do?"

"I would like to sleep off this headache." I yawned.

"I nap does sound good." he agreed, "You can take my bunk, you'll sleep better there. I'll crash on the couch."

I looked at him for a moment confused. William Beckett was not taking an opportunity to try to snuggle up with me? I wondered if he was sick.

"What?" he laughed, noticing my confused expression.

"You don't want to take a nap with?" I smiled "Have you given up on me?"

William looked at me a moment, a small smile tugging at the edge of his lips "I will never give up on you Sophie. I just thought you would sleep easier if you had space to yourself, am I wrong?"

I always slept better with William next to me, but there was no way I was going to admit that. "We could lay out here and watch Peter Pan again." I dodged his question with a shrug.

"If you want," he smiled and picked up the remote to press play for the DVD.

"William?" I mumbled, resting my head on his chest as he pulled the blanket back over us.

"Hmm?"

"Did something happen last night?" I asked, my mind running through memories of the night before. I wasn't completely sure what was memory and what was drunken dream. William's words 'I'll never give up on you had brought some other memories to the surface that I was praying were just a dream. "Did I say or do anything stupid in my drunkenness?"

William let out a small laugh "Nope, you just wanted to watch Peter Pan and I knew better than to argue."

I wasn't going to call him a liar, but I had the feeling he wasn't telling me everything.