‹ Prequel: Let Me Perfect It

Right Back Where We Started

I Miss Missing You Now And Then

Image

Sophie's POV

"You are not staying here overnight." I sighed, laying back on the couch.

"You aren't allowed to sleep for another ten hours." William argued back "I said I would make sure you were okay."

"So you are just going to leave your bus empty all night while we travel?" I asked.

"Unless you want to stay there with me." he smirked.

That caught me off guard, was he flirting with me?

Not me, Sadie.

"I don't think so," I smirked back, regaining my composure. "but nice try."

"I wasn't trying anything." he smiled, taking a seat next to me on the couch.

"You can go back to your bus and I will stay up with Sadie." Josie growled.

"I said I would stay with her." William frowned.

"You don't have to."

"I want to."

"Don't you think you've retired enough of our singers?" Josie growled. She didn't wait for his reply before she disappeared into the bus area, door slamming behind her.

I let out a quick sigh and laid across the couch, my head resting in William's lap. "Sorry about that."

"I deserve it I guess." he shrugged. "You know your song doesn't make sense." he added changing the subject.

"What song?" I frowned looking up at him.

"Icarus."

"Why not?"

"Didn't he die flying too close to the sun?"

I smiled "Yeah."

"Then why would he fly to the moon?"

I grabbed the tv remote and turned it on before smiling "If he flew to the moon his wings wouldn't have melted."

-------------------------------

I sat on the couch of the bus, my face in a book. It had taken some time convincing William that I would be fine alone while he was playing his set and doing a signing. I picked up my phone as it buzzed next to me.

William just finished his set.

-Chloe


Thanks Doll

-Sophie


I text back quickly before scrolling down to my recent calls.

1 Missed Call
William


I hit call before pressing my phone to my ear with a smile. It was only a few moments before he answered.

"Hello? Sophie?"

I smiled, he sounded nervous and surprised. "Hi."

"Sophie, is this really you?"

"She's trouble in a tank top pretty little time bomb, Blowing up I'll take you down. Tattoos and a switchblade attitude, Snakebite heart with a bubblegum smile."

"Still only speaking in lyrics?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Don't you remember when I was a bird and you were a map?"

"Sophie, why are you calling me?" his voice sounded hopeful. Like he thought I was going to announce I had forgiven him and was going to give him another chance.

"So I got your message and it's been a long time since we have spoken, face to face."

"The new singer of your band got hurt. I was hoping that you would play a few shows for her until she gets better."

"I can't help but question your cause of interest."

William let out a sigh "I know you miss your band and they miss you. Why wouldn't you come back to play a few shows?"

"Its just like the dead lay buried in the grave." I smiled, he was making it really easy to follow his own song.

"Don't give me that crap. I know you miss the girl's, I know they miss you. Besides I thought maybe it would give us a chance to talk about everything that went wrong between us."

"Right now and I was feeling just content enough to forget you." I sighed, there was no way I was talking feelings with him.

"Stop quoting my song at me. I know you never forgot about me, the simple fact that you know that songs proves it."

I frowned, searching my brain for the right lyric to answer with "I got things to do besides sit around and wait for you,"

"Why do you always have to be so stubborn?" he sighed into the phone. "You really want me to think it doesn't matter anymore?"

"I don't care what you think as long as its about me." I smiled into the phone.

"So you won't come play a few shows?" I could hear the pout in his voice.

I smiled lightly "I don't think so, but I'll see you soon William."

"You're coming to warped tour?" he asked sounding half shocked and half hopeful.

"No." I chuckled "I'll see you soon."

"I don't understand."

"Baby, you were my picket fence, I miss missing you now and then."

I hung up before he could answer, turning off my phone when he tried to call back.

----------------------

"Sophie?"

I blinked at William and raised an eyebrow.

He let out a long sigh and seemed to be mentally smacking himself around "Sorry, I guess I'm tired."

"Well you did stay up all night with me." I smiled.

William raised an eyebrow and smirked "Yeah, but the way you say it makes it sound a lot worse than it was."

I faked shock "My concussion isn't a serious enough condition?" I mock gasped.

William smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulders as we walked "I never said that."

"It was written between the lines." I shrugged with a smile.

"You came and found me pretty quick." he teased "Did you miss me?"

"I miss missing you now and then." I smirked.

William froze in his tracks and I had to stop myself from laughing at him.

"Are you okay?" I asked, trying to look innocent.

He looked down at me in confusion. "Why did you pick that lyric?"

"What?"

William let out a sigh and replaced his arm on my shoulders "Never mind, I am probably just going crazy."

"Where are we going?" I asked looking around, trying to hide my smile.

"The medical tent."

I frowned "Why?"

"To make sure you are doing okay."

I rolled my eyes and tried to pull away but William had a firm grip on me. "William." I wined "I don't want to go to the medical tent. I feel fine!"

"Too bad." he smiled "I will believe you are fine as soon as the medic tells me you are, I want to make sure you are okay to go to the party tonight."

"What party?"

"A late 'Welcome to the beginning of tour' party." he smiled.

"Figures you all decide to have a party right when I can't drink." I pouted as we reached the medical tent.

"Not if you still have that concussion." the medic from the day before smiled at me "Which I'm quite sure you will."

A half hour later I was set free with a warning that I still couldn't raise my heart rate, but I was now aloud to sleep as much as I wanted. I just need to be woken up every two hours.

"See." I smiled "I'm fine."

"Still having restrictions does not mean fine in my book." William answered, giving me a look.

"At least I can sleep now." I yawned "I'm going to take the nap of my life."

"That sounds nice." he smiled. He had to be tired too, I was exhausted and I hadn't had to play a show or do a signing.

"Where are we going?" I asked looking around.

"My bus?" William asked, more than answered "I have to admit the death glares from your band gets old after a while."

"I was going to take a nap though." I frowned, confused.

"You can take a nap on my bus?" he smiled, once again answering in the form of a question.

"Why would I do that?"

"Because I know how much you'll miss me." he winked "Plus my bus has more room without four girls and their boyfriends running about making noise."

I rolled my eyes "Whatever I can sleep on the couch I guess, since you seem to be having separation issues."

"Wanting to hang out with you is an issue?" he smiled "I would call it being smitten."

I gave him a look. "You don't even know me, you just think I look like Sophie. Good enough is as good as you're ever going to get."

He pursed his lips. "Don't think you've got me all figured out Sadie. I might just surprise you yet."

"I'll hold my breath."

-------------------------------------------

I have always been one for parties. Parties where I couldn't drink however were boring as all hell. I had managed to get away from William pretty early, it was a simple task when there were so many people pressed together around the bonfire.

"So how is it going?" Chloe smiled, as she sat down in a chair next to me.

"What?" I smiled looking around "No stalker or boyfriend?"

"Brendon is getting me a drink." she answered "Stalker I don't know what you are talking about."

"Alex?" I questioned.

"Say my name, say my name."

I glance behind me to see Alex now standing there. I let out a soft sigh and smiled at him "What do you want Gaskarth?"

"Not much," he smiled taking a seat on the other side of me "Just the company of some pretty ladies." he winked.

I rolled my eyes and swore I saw Chloe blush.

"Chloe."

We all three looked up to see Brendon standing there, two glasses in his hands.

"Hi honey." Chloe smiled, standing up and taking her drink from him.

"I got some guys I want you to meet." he spoke stiffly, glancing towards Alex for a second.

"Alright." she smiled.

"Mind if I join you guys?" Alex asked standing up.

"No, you are staying with me." I growled, grabbing his sleeve and pulling him back into his chair.

Brendon dragged Chloe off before Alex could protest.

"What was that for?" Alex asked, frowning.

I sighed and took a drink of my coke. "You really need to back off Alex."

"I don't know what you are talking about." he answered, crossing his arms.

"Common," I sighed "You are a really good friend Alex. I was really hoping you wouldn't make this difficult."

"What?"

"Chloe." I sighed "I know you like her and I know Brendon is getting pissed."

"So what?"

"So what?" I half laughed "He is her Boyfriend Alex. Boyfriend!. She is happy! Can't you just back off?"

"Not until she tells me to."

I glared at him "Don't make me kick your ass."

Alex smirked "You aren't nearly as tough as you think you are Sadie. Sophie is the one who kicked ass."

With that he stood up and took off before I could yell at him some more. I sighed and leaned back in my chair. This was going to get really messy really fast.

"Sophie?"

Now what?

I looked around and found William staring at me. "Excuse me?"

"Sophie." he said again and smiled at me.

"Sadie." I answered frowning as he stumbled towards me, obviously drunk.

He crashed to his knees in front of me and smiled weakly "I really missed you Soph."

"William, it's Sadie." I frowned.

Had someone told him it was really me?

"No." he pouted and rested his head on my lap "You're Sophie, I would recognize you anywhere no matter how many colors you dye your hair."

"You're drunk." I sighed, running my fingers through his short hair.

"A drunk mind is a clearer one." he answered.

"You are so pathetic." I laughed, softly.

"Sophie?"

"Hmmm?"

"I miss you."

I let out a sigh before singing softly "Baby, you were my picket fence,I miss missing you now and then. Chlorine kissed summer skin, I miss missing you now and then."

"I love hearing you sing." he spoke softly, shuffling so he was closer to me.

I smirked and sang again. "I will sing to you every day, If it will take away the pain. Oh and I’ve heard you got it, got it so bad, 'Cause I am the best you’ll never have."

"You should come back for a few shows." he answered looking up at me.

I let out another sigh and looked away from him, shaking my head.

"What?"

I looked back at him. "I've been here the whole time William. You just haven't seen me."

"Where have you been hiding?" he asked.

I could see his drunk mind trying to process what i was saying. I dropped down to my knees so we were kinda at the same level. I smiled lightly at him, tilting my head to the side "Right in plain sight."

"Where?"

I laughed again "You are so drunk William."

"But I'm cute." he smirked.

"Your hot whiskey eyes have fanned the flames. Maybe I’ll burn a little brighter tonight let the fire breathe me back to-"

Before I knew what was happening, William had pressed his lips to mine. He placed one hand on the small of my back, the other on the back of my neck, pulling me close to him.

"William." I laughed, pulling back "You aren't suppose to be raising my heart rate."

He grinned "I'm glad I can still make your heart race." he pulled me into another kiss suddenly. I lost my balance this time, causing both of us to tumble over, lips still attached. I kiss back for a moment, my hand disappearing into his hair.

I couldn't help it.

No matter what I tried to say I missed William just as much as he seemed to have missed me.

"Sophie!"

I jumped and quickly got to my feet, leaving William laying in the dirt looking very drunk and confused. There stood Josie and Molly, both looking very angry and disapproving. I avoided their gaze, feeling extremely guilty.

"Bus now!"

"Don't." William pouted, managing to get to his feet.

"Gabe please take William to his bus to sleep the whiskey off." Molly huffed.

"Hi Sophie." Gabe grinned as he walked past me and hooked his arm in William's "Come on William, I think you've had enough."

"I don't want to." William pouted, but allowed himself to be dragged away.

"Was that Gabe Saporta?"

"Don't change the subject." Molly growled, "Get back to the bus now!"

I felt like a child getting scolded by my mother, but this time there were two.

"But I didn't do anything!"

"Making out with William in the dirt is something." Josie growled. "Remember when you use to mother us? Playback is a bitch! Bus! Now!"

I let out a long sigh before doing as I was told.

----------------------------------------------------

I was woken up a couple of hours later by my voice going off in my ear.

"Hello?" I asked, only half away.

"Sophie?"

"William?" I asked, sitting up in my bunk careful not to hit my head.

"Sorry if I woke you."

"Is there something you wanted?" I yawned, looking at my watch.

2:00 Am

"Were you at the party last night?" he asked softly.

I froze for a moment before playing dumb "What party William?"

"The warped tour party."

"I'm in New York William." I lied in the phone "How could I have been there?"

"It must have been a dream."

I smirked "You are dreaming about me?"

"Sophie?"

"Hmmmm?" I asked, laying back down as I felt sleep tugging at me again.

"Will you sing to me?"

"You have a better voice than I do." I yawned "Why don't you sing to yourself?"

"Because I miss hearing you sing."

I sighed.

What could it hurt?

I had messed with the guys poor drunk mind.

"What do you want me to sing?"

"Anything."

I though for a moment before singing into the phone.

"Don’t panic
No not yet
I know I’m the one you want to forget
Cue all the love to leave my heart
It’s time for me to fall apart

Now you’re gone
But I’ll be okay
Your hot whiskey eyes
Have fanned the flames
Maybe I’ll burn a little brighter tonight
Let the fire breathe me back to life

Baby, you were my picket fence
I miss missing you now and then
Chlorine kissed summer skin
I miss missing you now and then
Sometimes before it gets better
The darkness gets bigger
The person that you’d take a bullet for is behind the trigger
Oh
We’re fading fast
I miss missing you now and then

Making eyes at this husk around my heart
I see through you when we’re sitting in the dark
So give me your filth
Make it rough
Let me let me trash your love

I will sing to you every day
If it will take away the pain
Oh and I’ve heard you got it, got it so bad
'Cause I am the best you’ll never have

Baby, you were my picket fence
I miss missing you now and then
Chlorine kissed summer skin
I miss missing you now and then
Sometimes before it gets better
The darkness gets bigger
The person that you’d take a bullet for is behind the trigger
Oh
We’re fading fast
I miss missing you now and then

Oh
Now and then
Now and then
Now and then

Baby, you were my picket fence
I miss missing you now and then."

"That's a sad song." I could hear the pout in his voice.

"You didn't ask for a happy one William." I smiled.

"You know I don't want to forget you right?"

"I have to go." I sighed in the phone. "Finish sleeping off the whiskey, Babe."

"How did you know I've been drinking whiskey?"

I smiled "Don't you always at a party?" with that I hung up and the phone and let myself fall back asleep.