Status: One Shot

My Last Breath

Counting The Days To Meet You On The Other Side...

Staring out across the water, Amy sighed deeply. She took in the sights of the transparent reflections the moon was causing to appear on the cool water below her. She felt like the water too, like she was simply invisible, almost see through. No one seemed to know her anymore, to talk to her, even to recognize she was still there at all. It was as if people thought she had died with him, and she knew it all too well.

She longed for him to still be there, for him to pull her away from the bridge, to tell her it was all going to be okay, to tell her that he still loved her. But of course he was the reason she was there, he was the reason her life fell to pieces, he was the reason she forgot why her life used to be worth living.

They were each others everything, they were inseparable and inconsolable without one another. And then he left, he was taken from her, and she could never forget that. It was a year today, a year ago since she lost the love of her life, a year since he died, a year since she died inside too, a year since she felt any feelings but sorrow and sadness.

She staggered closer to the bridge kicking off her shoes as she grew nearer, tears clouded her vision as she pulled herself up onto the cold concrete edge, she clamped her eyes closed tightly and latched onto one of the smooth grey pillars beside her. She shook her head and tried to push away the memories that were coming flooding back to her. Tears were streaming down her face, causing her jet black hair to stick to her cheeks as it was blown around in the wind.

The bridge had been their favorite place to come, they'd sit with their legs swinging out over the edge every day in the summer, relishing in the feeling of the sun on their skin, the feeling of being together, of being alive. Now the sun never shone on her, she never felt the feelings she had before, she felt as if she was living in somebody else's body, even she didn't recognize herself anymore

She wandered along the edge of the railings, letting a single foot hang out over the edge, sharply breathing in when she felt the cold breeze hit her bare skin. She walked further along the smooth metal beam, almost losing her balance a few times, but maintaining her position.

Repeating the words he had whispered to her so many times,the ones that used to calm her down, soothing her immediately, she stopped and turned so she was facing out towards the river that flowed underneath the bridge she was mounted on.

"When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears. When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears. And I held your hand through all of these years.'' She sung quietly continuing down the bridge she looked up to the sky and shut her eyes. He should be there, he shouldn't have been taken.

Everyday she thought the same thoughts, she remembered the way his smile made her feel inside, the way his lips felt silky smooth on her own, the way even the slightest indication of his touch could make her literally go weak at the knees. She thought it should have been her that died, she'd give anything to swap places with him, he didn't deserve it.

In the distance she could hear the sound of a car thundering down the road amidst the total silence around her, she smiled in an almost expecting manner. She knew they'd come, try to find her, try to stop her, tell her that they'd help her. But she was beyond help. Nothing anyone could say would make things better. No words could take away the stabs of regret, misery and loneliness that pulled at the strings of her heart constantly.

She waited until the familiar bright lights of her father's car came into view. Silently she said her goodbyes, she didn't want to put the people who loved her through the same pain that she dealt with daily, but she had lost the person she loved, and now it was her time to find happiness again.

''I love you Michael.'' She whispered before turning to face out onto the river again as she heard a car door slam shut. And then holding her last breath she was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Recommend!

One shot based on Amy Lee and Michael 'Padge' Paget.