Status: It's still going, long way to go yet.

Cuthbert and Alannis.

Where on earth is Alannis?

“Where on earth is Alannis?” Cuthbert asked himself.
“Playing in the graveyard, I presume.” He replied.
“Why is she always away when I need her most?” He muttered before walking out the doorway of their countryside cottage towards their home made cemetery.
“Alannis, where are you?” He called out.
“I’m over here, with the horse.”
“You need to spend less time with the dead.” He yelled as he walked towards the large grave site where the horse was lying in the open grave.
“You need to spend less time with science!” Alannis snapped at her friend.
“Science is more important than the dead. Besides, I need you to bring one of them inside, I need to test-“
“Oh, you’re going to use one of my dead friends, with your science experiment? They only oblige because I help them, you know.”
“Yes. I know, you say that every time I need one.”
“They’ll turn against you if you’re not careful.”
“They’ll be a welcomed change from dealing with you. Can I have one or not?”
“Take a bird, but I’m not digging it up.”
“But they don’t like it when I do it.” Cuthbert whined at his friend.
“I don’t really think that’s my problem, Cuthbert. If you want one, you can get one.” And with that, she stood and walked towards the river.
“Going to rescue more of my science experiments, Alannis?” He called after her.
Cuthbert was left with himself and with his other self, in a graveyard made by his only friend.
“Bird, bird, bird, bird, bird.” He muttered, trying to find the right animal to use for his science experiment. He stepped down only to feel the crunch of what he expected to be a branch.
“Hello little bird, escaped your grave I see? Oh, did I step on your leg? Seems like you won’t be able to escape me now.” A malicious smile upon his lips, his pupils dilated.
The bird looked up at him, horrified, before attempting to limp away.
“Oh no my dear, you won’t be getting away now.” And with that he-

***

Alannis walked towards the river to check her traps.
“Can’t believe he’d have such a nerve to do that.” She mumbled.
“I don’t know my dear,” replied her inner voice. “Who’s to know the reasons to everything that boy thinks of?”
“I guess you’re right. I best check these traps.”
“Indeed you must, my dear.”
She walked towards the river, and upon looking in, she saw her traps had been filled with the dead backwash from further up the river. She pulled out the nearest cane basket and grimaced at the revolting smell of rotten flesh, bloated from the water.
“I really need to go up there and check on the dam, seems as though the flow is slowing from the animals and speeding up from the humans.” She hesitated before putting the basket back and walking towards her newly found horse friend.
“Hello my dear horse, I need to go upstream, would you like to join me?”
The once beautiful war horse looked at her through his one eye, snorted through his slashed muzzle and walked towards her with his limp as his hind legs trailed behind.
“I shall ask Cuthbert to create you alternative legs before we go, I’d like to see you at your best, and it’ll be a difficult walk. Sleep now my dear, we’ll travel soon.”