Status: It's still going, long way to go yet.

Cuthbert and Alannis.

The preparation.

“Cuthbert, I’m in need of a favour,” Alannis called out into the old house.
“Yes? What is it?” Cuthbert called back impatiently.
“I need you to make some legs for my horse; I want to ride up the river.”
“I really don’t care.”
“I let you use my animals, so you shall return the damn favour!” She snapped, making Cuthbert come out of his lab to look down the stairs at her.
“Fine, when do you need them?”
“Tomorrow, I intend on leaving soon.”
“Why?”
“Because I’m getting human bodies more than animals, and I can’t tend for them.”
“I can just give you some nano’s and they can deal with it.”
“I don’t want the dead living, Cuthbert.”
“Why? They’d come in handy, helping around the house and what not, wouldn’t it be wonderful to work on deceased human flesh?”
“If you want to work on humans, farm your own!”
“Ugh, fine Alannis, just fine! I’ll make you some damn legs.”
“That’s what I like to hear.” Alannis replied menacingly before turning on her heel and walking out the front door of their house.
She walked towards her cemetery, whistling a soft tune encouraging her friends to awaken and sit with her.
“My dear, is it really necessary to talk to them? They were at peace.”
“Hush, I’ll talk to who I want!” She was angry with her voice for trying to persuade her against her escape from Cuthbert and his rage. She sat as peace with her animals, their flesh falling from their frail bones, their hidden torment shown both outside and in. The shock horror on their broken faces that they could become one of Cuthbert’s experiments at any stage.
“My dears” began Alannis, “Do not be afraid of Cuthbert and his science, he’s just finding out ways to heal your wounds, to perhaps regenerate your flesh. I myself do not understand his science methods, and I apologise that you’re the victims of his intelligence. But you’ve seen some other’s walking around, have you not? They’re okay, they breathe in their own oxygen, their hearts all beat, he’s just trying to do that to you all. Please don’t be mad at him, he just wants to end this war as much as I.”
Her animals moaned a gentle sound as one before climbing back into their open graves and she walked inside to see the only person she considered her living human friend. And prepared herself for a night of banging and metalwork.