Welcome to Anna's World

Chapter 1 - Where to start?

Anna's PoV:
I don't want to start at the very beginning, with my birth or so, because I don't want to bore you all with my autobiography. So I guess I start with this: My name is Anna and I live in an orphanage. I have been in and out of there and of all kinds of families since I was 5 years old. I am now 15 and it seems like no one wants to live with me. I cut myself regularly but never tried to commit suicide.

I hate this orphanage. I just hate to be around people in general. At least this time I could get a room for myself. No roommate. They just want to hang out or talk anyway. I'm not in for that. I like to be on my own. So I guess I'm sort of a loner? I also don't care what people say about me, I've heard these things all before anyway.
-
Well, remember when I told you nobody wanted to live with me? Today was different. Mrs Jane (I call her Calamity Jane, because she just looks like this character of the comic "Lucky Luck", and I don't want to reveal her real name in here), the lady who's the boss of the orphanage just came in my room and said: "Anna, there are two people who would like to meet you. They might want to adopt you, so please be nice and come down in my office." I nodded and told her I will be there in a minute. I hated those meetings. Like I said, I don't like to be around people and it's not easier if they are new ones.
Shortly after I was in front of Mrs Jane's office. I bit my lips (something I do, when I'm nervous), knocked, entered and closed the door behind me. I saw two men sitting on chairs in a little circle with Mrs Jane. In between one of the men and Mrs Jane was an empty one. I just stood by the door and stared at the floor. "Ah, there you are Anna", Mrs Jane said and caught my attention, but I still didn't move. "Come and sit in between us", she continued and gestured to the empty chair. My whole body was shaking until I was sitting. I could feel them all staring at me, while my eyes still focused on the floor. Not a very comfortable feeling. It basically feels like you're an animal in the zoo and the people stare at you and wait until you make the stunt they are waiting for. Mrs Jane let out one of her signature fake coughs. Clearly a sign for me to say something. I slowly raised my head and looked at one of the guys. He showed me a reassuring smile. I mumbled an "hello" and quickly threw my gaze on the floor again. I could hear their smiles and they returned a clear "hi" back. Mrs Jane went on telling them stuff about me, you know regular things like what food I like, and what not, my allergies, my hobbies and so on. This gave me time to look at my "new wannabe parents". They both had black messy hair and both were wearing skinny black jeans. The one with the reassuring smile from before had a simple black shirt on, the other one a black pullover with a leather west over it. That one must have noticed that I looked at them both, because he smiled at me, while the other one was looking at Mrs Jane and nodding every now and then.
About five minutes later she had told them practically my whole life since I first showed up in the orphanage, and even some stuff before that. She would probably be the better writer for this than me even though it is about my life.
The guy next to me with the vest let out a loud sigh, perhaps a bit too loud because Mrs Jane stared at him questioningly. "Something wrong?", she asked. Hesitantly he answered: "Uhhh... No, no...n-not at all." I watched him as he struggled to find the words to fight his way out of the bad glance Mrs Jane was giving him. "I,... uhhhm, it's just a lot of.... uhhhhmm.... i-info we.. we got to know", he stated. I couldn't help but smile a little at his awkwardness. He noticed immediately and grinned widely at me. "Don't worry you will get a copy from this so you can study it at home, while you can think about the adoption", Mrs Jane said. She didn't smile. She probably thought he was totally inefficient for this. I turned my gaze to the other man and watched as he was smiling and taking the other man's hand in his own.
Again Mrs Jane was raising her voice: "Well, Anna you can go up to your room, while I tell these men some more things they need to know." I could see the man with the vest raising his eyebrows, when she said "more things", but he quickly relaxed his face again, to avoid another embarrassing moment with her. I bit my lip, mumbled a "goodbye" and quickly stood up. I looked at them one last time as they both said their "byes" in unison. I left the room and couldn't stop thinking that they might be a very nice new family for me.