Welcome to Anna's World

Chapter 3 - Adoption, yes or no?

John's Pov:
"Are you okay?", Ryan asked me. We were in our bedroom at home and I was already laying in bed. "You've been awfully quite since we were at the orphanage" he continued while walking out of the bathroom trying to dry his freshly washed hair. I didn't know how I could tell him. He was looking forward to having a daughter for so long. I didn't want to disappoint him.
"You know, sometimes I'm asking myself, what's going on in that pretty little head of yours", suddenly Ryan said and tried to rip me out of my thoughts. "Huh? Uh.. I was just thinking..", I explained when I felt his lips touch my cheek. "About?", he asked while climbing under the bed sheets next to me. I have to tell him, he deserved it. I sat up and took Anna's file out of his hands. He was reading it for about five times since we got home today. I put it on the bedside table on the other side and turned back to him. I sighed and began: "Listen, I don't really think this is a good idea." I paused to see his reaction. He just looked at me with raised eyebrows, showing me he didn't really know what I was talking about. Carefully I continued: "I don't think adopting her is such a good idea." Now he sat up and looked at me with his big hurt eyes that gave me stomach-ache. I stopped looking at him and stared at my hands instead. Fast I started to explain before he could do anything else: "She's been through so much shit, and I mean,... I mean what if we fuck up and,...and h-hurt her e-even more?" Again tears were spilling down my face. He didn't say anything. He put both of his hands on the sides of my face and wiped the tears away with his thumbs. Then he started to talk: "Listen. You are the sweetest person in this world. Everything you start, hell, everything you touch, you make it absolutely perfect and beautiful. Yes, that girl has been through a lot and the slightest thing could break her apart forever. But see it from another perspective for just a minute: You can make her happy again, like you do with all the people around you; including me."

OMG. Did he just say all those things? A million things flooded through my head at this moment. I stopped crying. I couldn't cry anymore. Finally I opened my mouth: "Really?" He smiled: "Really."
We hugged for a very long time. "Give her a chance to be happy again", he murmured in my ear. I nodded and wiped the last tears off of my face. We laid down again and I moved as close to him as I could. Ryan put the lights out and his arms around me. He kissed my forehead and said: "She loves music, you know?" - "I know", I replied, "she plays the guitar and the piano. Maybe we could teach her something." - "Neither of us plays the guitar", Ryan insisted. I smiled and answered: "Well, it's a good thing we both play in bands with guitar players then." He smiled and I moved my head so I could kiss him. I laid my head on his chest and we fell asleep.

The next morning
Ryan's PoV:
"Can we go? Can we go, can we go, can we go, can we go, can w-", John whined. I covered his mouth with my hand, so he would shut up but he just mumbled the same words against my mouth over and over again. "Johnny shut the fuck up!", I exclaimed. Damn, he was more excited than a kid on Christmas morning. At least he stopped talking now. Instead he put out his lower lip and glared at me. I laughed at his face and pecked his lips, which made him first smile and then laugh as well. "You do know it doesn't sound serious when you call me 'Johnny'", he then said.

Finally we made it out the door to our car. To be honest, I started to get a bit nervous as well now. I mean we were officially on our way to get our daughter.