Status: writing!

My Weakness.

you're in the dark, but so close.

Holly Reilly sat in the bay window seat of her best friend’s living room, looking out on the suburban streets that surrounded the tiny home. She was holding a children’s storybook with large typed words and fun, bright colored characters. She closed her eyes and breathed in and out softly, enjoying the moment of silence. The window was open, allowing a light summer breeze to fill the living room and the sound of cars speeding by was much louder than some would like. Holly’s moment of peace and quiet was interrupted by the chipper voice of a small little girl. “Holly, Holly, Holly!”

Holly shut the book and looked down at the little girl with a smile on her face. As she talked rapidly and excitedly her little brown curls bounced up and down and Holly could not help but smirk at the adorable sight in front of her. Holly ran a hand through the little girl’s hair and looked down at her. “Yes, Allie?” Allie jumped up and down before pulling Holly away from the window and out the front door. Once outside, Holly saw the source of the girl’s excitement: the neighborhood ice cream truck. Holly smiled and shook her head before walking to the curb with the little girl.

Holly took a few bills out of her wallet and paid the man as he handed Allie a small, vanilla ice cream cone with rainbow sprinkles. Holly took her by the hand and led her back into the house, closing the door behind her. “Your mother will be home soon, Allie. Promise you won’t tell her that I gave you sugar?” Holly laughed out loud as the little girl offered her sticky, ice cream covered pinky for a promise. Holly linked her pinky and grabbed a napkin to wipe Allie’s face.

Just as Allie finished her ice cream, Holly heard a car door slam shut. Holly looked out the window to see Jamie, not only her best friend of fifteen years, but Allie’s mother. Holly moved to open the front door and Allie followed, eagerly waiting to greet her mother. Jamie walked into the house and smiled at Holly before placing a soft kiss on Allie’s head. She dropped her bag off onto the living chair and took off her work apron. Allie ran to the couch to watch cartoons and Holly moved into the kitchen behind Jamie. “So, how was work?”

Jamie grabbed a glass and filled it with ice and water before turning to Holly. “Oh you know, just another day with multiple customers asking why in the world I am working at a diner and not modeling, or acting, or something crazy.” Jamie rolled her eyes and took a sip of the water, sitting down at her small kitchen table. Holly sighed and crossed her arms before sitting at the table across from Jamie. She shook her head and bit her lip.

“You know they’re right, Jame. You can do so much better than the corner diner. You can, really.” Jamie smiled but looked down biting her lip. Holly sighed and reached out to stroke her friend’s arm. Jamie had been Holly’s best friend since she moved to New York. She was two years older than Holly and had unfortunately had to grow up way too quickly. When Jamie was fifteen, she got pregnant. Everyone except Holly had abandoned her. Since then she has had to work and work to support Allie, who was the most important thing in her life.

“Thanks, Hol. Really. But it’s going to take more than encouragement to walk away from the diner. They need me to put even more hours in soon and I can’t turn them down because I need the extra money.” Holly nodded and silently agreed with her friend, upset that there wasn’t anything else she could do to help her. Jamie had lost so much when she was forced to grow up so soon, but Holly had stayed with her all along the way. Holly grabbed Jamie’s hand and squeezed it tight.

“Jame, you know I’m here for you, always. I will try my best to help you in any way that I can.” Jamie nodded and wrapped her arms around Holly in a much-needed hug. While the friends were embracing, Allie came bouncing into the kitchen, once again shouting excitedly.

“Mom! Mom, the concert is next week!” Allie jumped and danced around the kitchen and Jamie sighed, turning away from her daughter for a moment. She nodded and Holly sent Allie to continue watching cartoons in the living room. Holly looked at the concerned look on Jamie’s face and said, “Concert? What’s that about?”

Jamie sighed once more and put her hands on her waist, shaking her head. “Allie won these concert tickets from this radio station for a concert next week with some band. I just don’t have the time to take off to take her though, and I haven’t figured out how I’m telling her that she can’t go.” Jamie bit her lip and tried to fight back tears before continuing, “I just hate that I have to take so much away from her, you know? She deserves the world and I can’t give it to her.”

Holly smiled and shrugged her shoulders, “Jame, I’ll take her to the concert.” Jamie looked up at her friend and shook her head, arguing, “No, Holls, I cannot ask you to do that. You have a job and a life of your own. You don’t need my mess of a life added in too. “

Holly grabbed Jamie by the shoulders and looked right into her eyes. “You didn’t ask me, Jame. I offered. And yeah, I have a job. The concert is at night, right? School’s out in the afternoon and I can always call a substitute in if I need. And for your information, I like your mess of a life.” Jamie smiled and once again grabbed Holly in a tight hug, not knowing how lucky she was to have someone like Holly by her side.

“Thank you, Holly. So much.” Holly shook her head and told Jamie that it was truly no problem. She walked into the living room and sat on the couch next to Allie, who was watching cartoons intently. Holly smiled at the girl. “Hey, Allie, how would you like it if I took you to your concert next week?” Allie smiled and hugged Holly tightly, just like her mother. “Thank you Holly! Thank you, thank you!” Holly smiled and wrapped her arm around the little girl, bringing her close. It had been a while since Holly had stepped into a concert venue, and she had to admit she was rather excited herself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I'm Erin and this is my new Joel Kanitz story! I have it all planned out to be about thirty-something chapters.

I'd love to have some feedback before I post the next chapter!

I hope you enjoy, and say hello sometime!