Status: Just Trying It Out! tell Me What You Think!

Friendly Competition

Five

My days all seemed to blur together. I was still mad at Ryder for just leaving and I was still harboring feelings that all of this could've been avoided if Sloan was a more understanding person. I was really conflicted and I hadn't be expressing myself to either of them. I was still really bitter . My cousin and my... boyfriend Ryder have been having a competition about who could have my attention the most and I was getting sick of it quite honestly. I am only human and I get fed up with things just as much as the next guy...er girl.

Today is the day I’m supposed to meet Ryder's entire family to show them that he too can me "perfect". I wore a light pink sun dress with tan gladiator sandals. I wore my long curly hair in a French braid down to the middle of my back. Ryder picked me up at 11 am sharp, and anyone with eyes could tell he was nervous. I climbed into his car and he kissed my cheek, which made my heart leap.

"Hey, you look pretty." he spoke pulling away from the curb heading down the street. I replied with a simple thank you and I began staring out the window. Ryder has been trying double time to show me that he really cares about me. Part of me knows that he does and the other part of me isn’t letting my guard down because of what transpired during the beginning of the week. I know it’s petty for me to do this to him but I refuse to let him in again after what happened, he has to work for it.

"So are you nervous? To meet my family I mean?" he questioned, his eyes fixed on the road. I shrugged and finally looked at him.

"No, should I be?" I inquired. He chuckled as he shook his head no.

We arrived at the beach to find his entire family there waiting for us. We got out of the car together and we grasped each other’s hands and I felt the electricity between us. We stared at each other and for a moment it was like it was only us on the beach. We were brought back to reality when his brother slapped him on the back.

"Well what do we have here? Ry has himself a little girlfriend and she's pretty? She can’t possibly be smart too” Ryder’s brother commented. I gaped at his insult. I was taking all accelerated classes so that I could graduate early and the fact that he insulted me intelligence in front of me was appalling.

"I'm actually taking accelerated classes to graduate early." I retorted, Ryder smirked at his brother and then he led me to the rest of his family. I met his aunts and uncles, cousins and his sister. Ryder's family was very charming and I can see where Ryder gets his charm from. It literally runs in his family. Although my first encounter with Duke (Ryder’s older brother) was less that desirable he's actually a sweet guy, aside from the fact that he's sarcastic as fuck.

As the day progressed and the sun got hotter we all moved towards the water and I sat in the sand with Ryder beside me. He rubbed the small of my back and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Your family is so sweet, they are all so welcoming." I whispered in his ear. He snorted and looked down at me.

"I guess you could say that." he spoke, looking back at his family in the water. There was something about being out here with Ryder. He seemed guarded and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I didn’t want to pester him about it because we were finally getting along well. He shifted in the sand and he looked at me with more intense eyes and something in me melted.

"Can I kiss you now?" he questioned and I nodded leaning into him. His lips met mine with an urgency and I was caught off guard. His family began teasing us from the water and I pulled back my face heating up. Why was I being so shy? I never cared before. He rubbed his nose against mine and he helped me up.

"Let me get you home." he whispered as he walked me over to say good bye to his family. Today was a good day for us. I just can’t shake the feeling that being with his family today made Ryder uncomfortable.