Status: short story :)

Still Painting Flowers For You

two.

Every pair of eyes in that room looked upon Alex's face as each one of the guests gasped horrendously loud. The silence that followed Alex's words was deafening and Tiffany's eyes bulged as wide as saucers as she stared at her ex lover.

Without thinking his actions through, Alex ran off the carpeted steps, grabbed Tiffany's tanned hand, and dragged her through the walkway she just crossed and out of the room where they could talk alone. Rian was furious at Alex for what he had just done, but he didn't move an inch because that scruffy haired man was his best friend. No matter what, they were friends.

Tiff slapped Alex across the face harshly once they stopped in the private room outside of the ceremonious area. "What could you possible be thinking right now? Are you insane?"

"Tiffany, just let me explain. I need to talk to you before you make this final decision," Alex pleaded as he grabbed his ex's hand with force.

The brunette swiftly snatched her hand away from Alex's and ferociously fought back tears that dared to escape her eyes before speaking. "Go on."

A sigh of relief left Alex's lips as he began talking. "Tiffany, I know I've made mistakes in the past. I know that cheating was a horrific mistake but you know I would never do that again. I've worked my ass off to prove to you that you're the only one for me. I haven't dated a single girl since we broke up three years ago. I've done everything in the world to make you realize that you're the one for me. We're soul mates Tiff, how could you possibly think Rian is the one for you?"

A sob wretched out of the curvy girl's body as she fiercely stomped her foot against the wooded ground. She looked up at the brown eyed man in front of her with tears cascading down her face. She gulped before she whispered something so softly it was barely audible. "Alex, I can't."

Alex sniffed back a few tears as he put his hands lightly on her shoulders. He wiped the tears from her green eyes before she started responding at a normal decibel of noise. "Rian is so good for me. He'll never stray away from me and he'll always keep me safe and sound. We'll have a beautiful house and a great life. This is the way it's meant to be."

The boy spun around and grabbed his head firmly in frustration before he replied. "Whatever happened to the girl who wanted an amazing life? What happened to the Tiffany who craved adventure and spontaneous events? Why are you settling for mediocrity?"

"That girl is still with you, Alex," Tiffany explained. "She'll always be with you. The Tiffany now is with Rian and will always be with Rian. I can't and will not be with you."

Alex paused for a moment before saying. "You want me though, don't you?"

Tiffany didn't answer. She couldn't because she knew Alex was right. Instead, she ran into his arms and let him comfort her by stroking her back and playing lightly with her hair. After the last hug he'd ever get from Tiff, he picked her face up gently from his wet shoulder and kissed her lightly on the forehead; letting it linger for a moment too long.

"I'll always be painting flowers for you, Tiffany; always," Alex told his soul mate as he gulped. "You'll always be the one."

Tiffany nodded knowingly and gave a weak wave back to her ex. With one last look at the love of her life, she opened up the church doors and made her way back to Rian on the other side of the walkway.

Alex knew it wasn't good for him to go back into the ceremony, so he walked out of the building in his black tux and made his way down the busy streets of Baltimore. He knew he'd just left Tiff for good, and the only thing he could think of is the all-too-familiar lyrics of his own band.

When I wake up the dream isn't done;
I wanna see your face and know I made it home;
If nothing is true, what more can I do?
I am still painting flowers for you.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, the story is now complete. What do you guys think of it all? This was a bit hard for me to write because it hit home, so I hope it wasn't too emotional! What's your feedback?