Beast of Bladenborro

Sheep

One’s nose can prickle quite painfully while in the presence of sheep. When their large eyes bore into you, you know that they have no idea what you really are and what you’re really thinking. They saunter toward you on their twig like legs, they open their soft mouths to speak, and soft words roll free of their soft pallets, and float into your ears in short whispers like a dandelion fluff riding along a breeze. Sheep either can smell the danger or their tiny, ill developed brains can’t seem to recognize it. They disperse in odd directions, some move away, while others are drawn forward. Usually the ones moving closer are the dumbest. It’s like the dumb sheep have a positive charge and creatures like Baldemar are negative, and a magnetic force conveniently pulls them together.

Baldemar perched himself silently upon the rafters, the hole in the roof let in moonlight that draped itself upon Baldemar’s shoulders, ironically giving him a halo. He sat crouched, his muscles contracted to spring forward and slaughter his prey, his mouth moistened as his hellish insides rumbled hungrily. He leaned back on his haunches, the wooden slabs crisscrossing under the roof of the rickety barn groaned under his weight and his target’s ears perked and twitched at the foreboding sound. He dismounted gracefully and soundlessly, but landed with a thick thud, although before the sheep could even squeal he swiftly snapped it’s neck and ripped it’s soft head free of it’s body. Blood spurted from the decapitated animal and Baldemar casually slackened his jaw, opened his mouth, and drunk from the creatures neck as if it were a water fountain. Blood soaked his white shirt and dribbled down his chin, it was messy but quite satisfying, and his eyes, now unfocused and heavily lidded, rolled back into his head as his seemingly insatiable thirst was finally quenched.

“ By the gods” A shocked gasp sliced into his intoxicated state and temporarily sobered him. He was so engrossed in his snack he hadn’t heard the footsteps. A man, probably in his mid forties, stood at the barn’s now opened door. More blue light filtered into the tiny, smelly cavity, and with his hulking body you could only see his profile. When he moved he just appeared to be a dark, faceless, threatening shadow.

A warning growl clawed it’s way aggressively from Baldemar’s nicely lubricated throat. In response the man slowly lifted up his hands in surrender, he was weaponless, but still quite large. Baldemar growled, he bared his teeth which glistened sickeningly with blood. Holding the sheep’s mangled body, he gripped it’s tiny leg and severed it from it’s carcass, he ripped the wool from the skin and bit into the raw meat, tearing ligaments and scratching against bone, desperately trying to get every bit of food into his body before the man chose to run for help and call attention to him. However, the man did not budge, he stayed rooted in the same spot with his hands held up, cold early morning light peaked through the gaps of his trembling fingers. The cricket’s screech drowned out the human’s heartbeat, no doubt hammering against it’s ribcage as it watched Baldemar rip the tiny white animal limb from limb and then devour it horrifically. Baldemar kept his eyes on the human and slowed down his chewing to avoid swallowing any of the cracked bone that had been chipped by his teeth. Slowly he became less tense as the human stayed still.

“ A-a-are you... are you a runaway?”