Status: At the beginning

Surrender, My Love

Chapter One

'Clack, clack' My nude pumps hit the wet sidewalk of New York 'walking through New York City is such a pain,' I thought to myself. I hugged my berry colored pea coat closer to me as I clutched my Louis Vuitton purse closer to my body. This was my usual routine every morning, Monday through Friday. I was almost to the skyscraper where my livelihood sat waiting for me.

Fashion was my passion, cliche I know. But that was the gods honest truth, my mother had instilled it into me at a young age. My mother, cue the dramatic music, Ava Barrett. Don't get me wrong I love my mother but her choices in life have never sat well with me. For example, marrying nine men by the age of forty wasn't exactly stable nor intelligent decisions on her part. Maybe that's where my distrust for people and the ever present scowl on my face came from.

I shook my head and let out a heavy sigh allowing me to see my breath in the chilly air. I approached to large glass doors and Stanley the doorman opened it for me, greeting me with a smile. "Good morning Miss. Barrett," he bowed his head. "Good morning Stanley," I greeted in return while heading towards the elevators and pushing the 'up' button.

As I stepped out of the elevator and made my way to my office, my assistant Cynthia rushed towards me. "Miss. Barrett," she called juggling a series of papers and her black iPhone. "The spring fashions catalog has arrived. Would you like to take a look at it?"

"Yes, I would." I glanced around the large office space looking at all of my employees, I was incredibly proud of my company as a whole but if there was one thing I learned was that you have to keep them on their toes.

I waltzed into the modern styled with the violet, grey and white color scheme. After placing my coat on the coat hanger and taking a long sip from the cafe mocha drink that already sat on my glass desk.

I flipped through the catalog all the while drinking the espresso drink when I got a call from my best friend since I was in diapers, Lola. "Hey Max! I have something to tell you," Lola nearly ruptured my eardrum once I answered the phone. She was always the enthusiastic one between the two of us.

"Okay, you want to meet for lunch at The Corner Bistro?" I asked as I logged onto my email checking to see if the other high profile fashionistas around the had any questions or comments for whatever reason. "Yeah that sounds great!" She squealed before saying, "Alright I'll let you go," with that she hung up. Whenever Bristol was overly excited it never ended well for me.

Cynthia's popped her head into my office, "Maxie you have a call from Mr. Damian Lodge. He would like to have a meeting with you at two thirty, is that okay?"

"Yes, I suppose that is fine." I pondered over whether call her back into my office and tell her never mind. Damian Lodge was the head Lodge Enterprises, a very prominent company that everybody who's anybody knows about.

But there was word about Damian Lodge being a bit of a womanizer, oh who am I kidding! The man was a total man whore! A different woman, well more like skank, every night. That's not someone who members of the Barrett fashion label should be fraternizing with. But business is business I guess.

I checked the time on my phone and realized that it was almost noon, so I decided to head to the restaurant to meet Bristol and find out what she was so excited about.

"Max!" I heard Lola call from a secluded table in the back of the restaurant. I headed back there and sat opposite of her. "So what's the big news?" I asked scanning my menu. "I just got a modeling gig in London!" She nearly burst from happiness. "That's awesome! When do you leave?" I questioned. I was ecstatic for her, but a little sad that my best friend was probably going to be gone for months.

"I leave on Thursday," she said. "So before I leave, I'm going to have a going away party at the AVA lounge on Wednesday night." I grinned at her knowing that when Bristol partied, she partied hard.

After lunch we parted ways and I headed back to work and my meeting with Damian Lodge.

Walking out of the elevator that had taken me to the 24th floor of the skyscraper, I headed towards the office after taking a call from Victoria Beckham. I worked on getting in touch with magazines and sending messages when I glanced at the clock hanging on the purple colored wall.

'Ten minutes late. That's not rude at all.' I thought to myself. I picked up the office phone and called for Cynthia to come to my office. "Cynthia, Mr. Lodge was supposed to be here ten minutes ago. He's late, if he does not show up in another five minutes cancel the meeting."

I have zero tolerance for bullshit, actually zero tolerance for most things. I run a tight ship and have my own schedule that I must run on, I can't work around other people if I want to keep this fashion empire up.

"I'm sure he'll be here any min-" Before she could finish, another secretary by the name of Penelope stuck her head. "Mr. Lodge is here now, may I send him in?" I let out a slightly annoyed sigh. "Yes," I responded slamming a large black leather binder shut, causing Cynthia to slightly jump.

"Yes ma'am," Penelope left with Cynthia following closely behind her.

I looked up as I heard the door open and in walked the very dapper and handsome man. "Mr. Lodge pleased to meet you," I offered a handshake towards the 6' foot man with the perfect muscular build. I took in the fact that he certainly knew how to dress with his coordinated suit and tie combo.

I took the brief greeting as a time to analyze his facial features. Damian has a strong jawline, perfect teeth and nose, dark brown hair and crystal clear blue eyes. 'Sure is handsome,' I thought to myself.

"Likewise Miss. Barrett," he accepted the handshake. "What can I do for you today Mr. Lodge?"

"Please no need for formalities," he smiled. "Call me Damian."

"Very well Damian. So what is the reason for your visit here today?"

"I would like to ask you for a proposition. My own company, Lodge Enterprises would like to partner up with the Barrett fashion empire." I displayed my infamous poker face.

"Why exactly would you want to do that?" I questioned.

"Well, the Barrett name holds quite a bit of weight as you know. To join forces, to create a powerful empire that hold family names would be extremely intelligent on both of our parts," he finished giving me a very businesslike facial expression.

"I will talk it over with my people and we will get back to you as soon as possible," I explained.

"Yes ma'am, that is very understandable. Thank you for your time Miss. Barrett." He gave me a kind smile before exiting my office.

Once he was gone several of my female employees including Cynthia and Penelope nearly busted through the door. "We are very sorry for the intrusion Miss. Barrett," Cynthia apologized. "We just wanted to know if Mr. Lodge would be making any more visits anytime soon," another employee winked.

"It was all business talk," I grinned at the horny young women standing before me.

"In all honesty Miss. Barrett,you're a young beautiful twenty five year old and he's a delicious twenty six year old. It's like a match made in heaven!" Penelope gushed.

I laughed out loud at the way these girls were acting. "We'll see if Mr. Lodge makes any more visits." I chuckled with a wink as they scurried out my office, not at all thinking that, that statement held any weight or value whatsoever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment/suggestions all welcome! :)

And a warning to anyone who is eager to read this story or any of my stories, I update based on what I'm doing that particular time.