The Play Book

Tatum Parker

In the entire time I'd known Harry, there hadn't been an awkward moment. From when he asked me on the first date to our first kiss to when he’d met my parents, he made everything casual and comfortable. He just had that way about him; he had confidence.

But as we laid on my bed that Tuesday night, watching some stupid action movie, I was sure I’d suffocate in the tension.

I almost cancelled and told him that my parents were coming home early but I decided against it. Although I wanted to call him out on that stupid book – the one that hadn’t escaped my mind since Dahlia showed me – I knew that I couldn’t. It been made clear in the locker room that it wasn’t to be brought up to the boys and, even though I agreed to it, I couldn’t imagine it being an easy task. My anger would keep my legs closed but it only made it that much harder to keep my mouth closed.

“What time is it?” Harry mumbled in my ear, sending unexpected shivers down my spine. We weren’t cuddling or even holding hands, just lying next to each other with our shoulders occasionally brushing, but it was still enough to affect me.

But I ignored it, slyly scooting away from him as I leaned over to check my phone. “It’s almost five,” I replied, mentally cursing. It’s only been an hour and a half?!

“When are your parents getting back?” he questioned, turning his body so he was on his side and facing me, propping himself up with his elbow.

“My mom gets off at six-thirty. My dad shouldn’t be home until later than that,” I responded, my eyes glued to the TV. I wasn’t sure if looking him directly in the eyes would cause me to yell, cry or give in but I wasn’t going to take my chances.

“Hey,” Harry said with a low and raspy voice. I had half a mind that he was trying to seduce me, especially when he rested his hand on my stomach, but I tried to ignore it. “Are you alright?”

I glanced at him. His eyebrows were furrowed and his concern looked so sincere I almost felt bad. But then the book popped into my head and I remembered that us having sex would be like him completing an assignment, for God’s sake. “I’m fine,” I insisted, looking away.

I heard him sigh and, before I could even protest, his arm moved behind my back, laying me flat on the bed before he hovered above me, one arm supporting his weight and the other on my cheek. “You’ve been engrossed in this movie since we got up here, love.”

“So? I like this movie. And you’re interrupting my favorite part.”

“Tatum, you hate the Fast & Furious movies,” he pointed out. I internally groaned. So that’s why I couldn’t get into this movie. “If you’ve changed your mind about tonight, that’s okay. I just don’t want it to continue being awkward; it’s weird.”

“It’s not that I’ve changed my mind,” I lied. “It’s just- I don’t know, I’m nervous, I guess.”

He let out a soft chuckle. “That’s alright,” he assured me. “We don’t have to do anything you’re uncomfortable with.”

I noted how well he played the concerned, understanding boyfriend. It made me want to rip his hair out. I forced a smile. “Thanks, that’s so sweet,” I said through closed teeth.

He grinned, leaning down to press his lips to mine gently. It was completely innocent and he pulled away after a few seconds, his lips hovering barely an inch away from mine. But that didn’t last. He must’ve decided to take a chance because he leaned in again, this time kissing me with determination. I didn’t even try to reject the kiss, instead returning it and wrapping my arms around his neck. It didn’t take long for him to deepen the kiss, his teeth gently biting my bottom lip. I knew it was crossing into dangerous territory but I only sighed into his mouth, letting it happen. I had been putting off sex with him for long enough now; I could totally control myself when it came to kissing him.

I just wanted to forget for a few minutes. Forget about the anger, the hurt and the lies. I wanted to stop wondering if our entire relationship was based around him needing to score in order to win some stupid soccer game. I’d even kind of wished that Dahlia hadn’t found the book; that I was still naïve about the whole thing. At least I was able to be happy with my relationship then.

Harry pulled me out of my thoughts when his lips left mine, causing me to let out an involuntary whimper. I felt his smirk as his lips trailed down my jaw then down my neck, occasionally biting. I was barely able to register his hand that was now underneath my shirt, creeping upward. Warning bells were going off but it was almost as if I physically couldn’t push him off, it felt so good. It was like he was honestly ready to prove his love for me, something neither of us had even said to each other yet. His real intentions were temporarily forgotten as I pulled his face back to mine, crushing my lips against his.

His fingers were at the edge of my bra, slowly inching their way to my back when I heard something. He must’ve heard it too because he stopped and pulled away. “What was that?” he asked.

I shushed him, listening closely. My eyes widened when I heard a car door close. “Somebody’s home,” I whispered hurriedly, pushing him off of me. I stood up and went to my window, watching as my dad exited his truck and made his way to the front door. I turned around, watching Harry pull his shoes on. “You’ve got to go. It’s my dad.”

He pulled his sweatshirt over his head. “And how do you supposed I do that?” he asked, pushing his hair out of his face.

I quickly thought over the options, chewing on the inside of my cheek. The front door was obviously not an option and the sliding glass door creaks too loud. The only other way was... “The window,” I announced. I hurried over to my bedroom door, locking it when I heard the front door open.

“Tatum, I’m home!”

When I didn’t hear any movement coming from Harry, I turned to him to find him giving me a look of disbelief. “The wind- that’s a joke, right?” he asked, his eyes widened.

“No, it isn’t,” I replied, walking back over to the window and pulling it open. I looked out, wondering if he could actually make it without breaking a leg.

He walked over to the window, looking out as well. “There’s no way,” he decided, stepping away. “Can’t you just tell your dad I was over studying with you?”

“You’re not supposed to be here when nobody’s home, Harry. Even if I tell him we were only studying he would still be pissed,” I explained quickly.

He crossed his arms. “Wait, I thought you said your parents liked me,” he said, sounding genuinely offended by the idea of my parents disliking him.

“What?” I asked, briefly stunned. We were this close to being caught and that was his only concern right now? “They do, but my dad won’t be pleased with you when he finds out you were in my room. Alone. With me.”

A knock came from my door. “Tatum? Are you in there?” I heard my dad ask.

“Yeah,” I replied. “I’m just changing. I’ll be down in a second.” I looked out the window again. There was a tree branch Harry could catch, if he jumped far enough. And even if he missed it, there was only a small chance that the ground would injure him. “Please,” I whispered urgently.

He pursed his lips, running a hand through his hair. “Coach is gonna kill me if I fuck up my foot,” he mumbled, probably more so to himself.

Good, I thought bitterly. “You won’t,” I assured him. “Just jump to the tree branch and then run until you’ve reached your car.”

He scoffed. “Good thing I parked down the street, huh?” he tried to joke. “It would’ve been hard to explain that.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, lucky us,” I commented sarcastically. I pressed a kiss to lips quickly before moving away. “Now go. I’ll call you later.”

He nodded, cautiously throwing one leg over the window ledge before carefully pulling the other out, sitting and gripping the ledge so hard his knuckles were turning white. I saw him take a deep breath before pushing off, jumping. I rushed to the window, not sure if I was more relieved or disappointed when I saw him hanging onto the branch. He dropped from the tree and easily landed on his face, turning to wave at me quickly before running off.

I closed my window, sighing. That was way too close.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took forever to get out, sorry! It shouldn't happen again. Let us know what you think! x