The Play Book

Roshin Owen

"You're so annoying," Adam huffed, wafting the smoke that I'd blown in his direction away. I rolled my eyes at his whiny behaviour and took another drag of my cigarette. "Just give me one, Ros."

"Get your own," I snapped. "I didn't spend money just to waste them on you."

"Ain't even your money."

I shrugged. "You really going there?"

Letting out an aggravated sigh, he shook his head. It was a Thursday and he had decided to actually leave the house and come and visit me during my lunch break at school, sparing no thought to his own school. So instead of standing with the other smokers of the school, I was sat on a wall with him next to me, contemplating whether it was really worth going back to my afternoon lessons. I didn't think it was but I'd been in for the entire morning so it would seem like such a waste to skip the rest of the day after so much effort.

Adam scratched at his knee before looking across the grass. "Who's the guy?" he asked, nodding towards the figure heading towards us. Surprise, surprise – it was Liam. My dislike for him had heightened tenfold after finding out about that little stupid "Play Book" of theirs because who the hell did he think he was trying to get me in bed for the sake of a bloody soccer team? I felt like slapping him but unfortunately, I wasn't supposed to let him know that I knew about his disgusting plot. But I'd only keep my word for a while – there was no way I would go out of my way to pretend that I didn't know what he was up to.

"He's a soccer player," I muttered, watching as Liam got within hearing distance.

Adam inhaled sharply. "Should I bow?" That got a weird look from Liam. "Want me to kiss your feet?"

"Why on earth would I want you to do that?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

I snorted and shook my head, but allowed Adam to reply to him however he wanted. After all, I was only his sister and couldn't control what he said – who knew what he'd say. "Don't all soccer players go swanning around pretending their arse is made out of sunshine?" he said, squinting at the player. "Or are you special?"

Good thing was Adam didn't even know about the plot to have sex with me – charming, isn't he? But it didn't seem that Liam truly understand what he meant because he seemed utterly confused and almost annoyed. "Who are you?" he questioned.

I then decided to butt in and direct the conversation away from my brother's dislike for soccer players because honestly, I think he hates them and sport more than me and that's actually saying something because I hate them a lot. "He's my brother," I told him, taking a drag from my cigarette. "But I'm guessing you didn't come all this way just to ask that."

"No," he agreed, shooting Adam a look of disgust, "I came over to see whether you wanted to talk but it seems you're busy."

"Oh no, please, do tell what you wanted to talk about."

He looked uncomfortable because he obviously hadn't thought that I would be with someone, let alone my brother, and my guess was that he was going to talk to me in a manner that the other soccer players probably spoke to other girls in order to try and win them over. Apparently they were very charismatic but I think that opinion is very biased.

"I was wondering–"

Adam cut him off. "If you were wondering that means you would have to think, and here I was under the assumption that all you soccer players were mindless idiots who couldn't keep it in their pants," he mocked, feigning shock. "My bad."

I put a hand on his arm but he shook me off. "That's enough, Adam," I told him.

"Whatever, I'm going," he muttered, standing up and walking away.

Funnily enough, as soon as he went Liam seemed to regain some form of confidence because he sat on the wall next to me. "What was that about?"

"None of your business," I retorted. There went my excuse to not go back to my afternoon lessons. I was actually looking forward to heading home with him and raiding our father's bedroom for more money because we knew he kept some in his underwear drawers and he hadn't been leaving his wallet out for a couple of days now so it's been virtually impossible to get any more from him. I'm sure if anyone else knew we took money from his wallet without his knowledge, they'd think we were terrible children and everything but of course, they weren't around for our childhood and his pathetically bad parenting so they would just automatically assume that he was trying his best for being a single father. But I'd call bullshit because our mother was a better parent than he ever has been and she's a complete bitch so that truly makes him a terrible parent. After all, if you mention our mother to my brother he'll punch you. I don't blame him.

I watched as Liam ran a hand over his face as I took another drag of my cigarette. "Do you always smoke?" he questioned, watching the smoke billow upwards and away from him.

"Whenever I can be bothered to."

"Alright," he said, brushing my comment off. "I was actually wondering whether you were any good at our History class?"

I choked out a cough and raised an eyebrow. "History?"

"Yeah, I've been having some trouble with the work–"

He didn't finish his sentence because I began to chuckle and shake my head. "You're having a laugh," I told him. "You are seriously not talking to me about school. No, absolutely not. That just doesn't happen."

"Okay?" By his tone of voice, he was confused with my reaction and was wondering why I wasn't jumping at the chance to help him with his work. For starters, I wasn't the type of person to help people who were having trouble. I had never been someone who would do such a thing because I just don't see the point – however, I'm fine with other people helping me out. And secondly, I hated History along with mostly every other subject I was taking so there was no way I would do any extra work for the subject that was not absolutely required in order to pass the class.

I grounded my cigarette butt out against the wall and stood up. "Listen, just don't bother me. I don't do work, I don't do school, and I definitely do not do soccer players," I said.

He got up and followed after me as I started to walk away. "Why not, Roshin?" he asked, seemingly determined to get a reply out of me.

"Because I don't like you, and to be honest, you definitely do not like me either."

"Well that's not true," he defended, reaching out and grasping my arm which made me stop. "And we don't even have to do any work. Just talk, get to know each other?"

I pulled my arm out of his grip and looked him up and down. "Not even in your dreams," I snapped before turning on my heel and stalking towards school. This time, he didn't bother to follow after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
We're back to being active.