What Makes a Hero

➳➳

“Mr. Queen. Are you listening? Your parents are dead. The plane they were on crashed, and they won’t be coming back home. Do you understand what I’m saying, Mr. Queen?”

I simply stared at the hulking red-faced headmaster, speaking to me as if I were a baby. True, there was a strange dull roar in my ears, but I wasn’t daft. Only one thing seemed to stick out in my mind.

Mr. Queen.

I hated the sound of it. That was what they called my father. Not me. I was just Oliver, or my mother’s little Ollie, never Mr. Queen.

Mr. Queen. Mr. Queen. Mr. Queen.

Image


“Mr. Queen! Congratulations, Mr. Graduate! Great party you’ve got here, and the yacht isn’t too bad either!” Another half-drunk party-goer yelled at me, intending to come off as funny. I found him about as amusing as a mosquito buzzing loudly in my ear, but I was so buzzed that I couldn’t be bothered to offer a reply. I turned to look at the captain, and he nodded to assure me everything was running smoothly.

It couldn’t have been any further from the truth.

Everything seemed to be blurring together as figures seemingly appeared out of nowhere and began boarding the ship. I was flabbergasted.

“REALLY?! Pirates?! What is this, Peter Pan? Pirates of the Caribbean? Come on!”

While I stood watching, they took control of the ship and set about eliminating anyone who thought themselves a hero.

And of course, as owner of the yacht, I had to be the first to go.

Moving quickly, I made a break for the emergency life boat at the back of the yacht. I had no option but escape, unless I wanted to die. Unfortunately, the invaders had come to same conclusion and were quickly closing in. I stumbled and cursed all the drink I’d guzzled earlier as a few pirates moved closer and engaged me, slashing with their wickedly curved blades managing to snag and shred my clothing. It was now or never. Hurling the life boat out to sea, I threw myself over the edge, right into the churning sea.

When I came to, I felt like my cheek had been rubbed raw with sandpaper. As I opened my eyes, I supposed it had been, in a way. Staring down the shore in either direction, my sluggish brain realized I’d been fortunate to wash up on an island. I never would have guessed how much the next two years on that island would change my archery skills. Oh, and my life too.

Image


“Mr. Queen. We’re so glad you’re alright. But the company must be attended immediately. Queen Industries is falling into disrepair, and as its rightful heir, we need you to take charge.” One of the board members blabbered on and on about stocks and business partners and countless things I couldn’t care less about at the moment. Taking a deep breath and closing my eyes, I soaked it all in. Star City. It was great to be back home.

Image


Huh, Justice League. I suppose it had some sort of ring to it. But committing to something on top of being CEO of Queen Industries and my nighttime crime-fighting in the city? The idea wasn’t too appealing, but for some stupid reason, I was here anyway. A decision I was regretting, quite honestly. Just as I was going to bail and head back to cozy Star City, I caught sight of something that made me freeze in my tracks. Or rather, someone.

To this day, I'm not sure how long I stood there with my jaw on the floor and my eyes bulging out of their sockets, but someone stopped in front of me, breaking me out of my reverie. Annoyed, I scoffed at the costume this guy was sporting. Yellow gadget belt, black floaty cape, and a weird black mask with pointy ears and tiny eye holes.

“You must be the new recruit I’m supposed to babysit. Emerald Archer, is it?” he smirked.

“Green Arrow, actually. Who are you, Black Cat?” I snapped right back.

“Batman, but nice try. So, I take it you’re in? Don’t see why else you would be here.” he replied with a smirk.

“I'm here to stay, as long as you introduce me to the blond bombshell that just strutted through here.”

“Black Canary? Yeah, I saw you ogling Dinah like a pedophilic old man. You don't stand a chance."

"You'd be surprised." I replied, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Sure. Let’s go Don Juan, you’ve got a team to meet.”
♠ ♠ ♠
shoot me. this is all just crappity crap crap.