Death Never Looked So Beautiful

One

“-careful driving home, roads are icy, and it seems it'll only worsen with the snowfall tonight. In other news, police have reported another boy found early this morning on Che-” With a soft click I turn the television off as a, barely-there, sigh passes my lips. My fingers run their way through my hair in disappointment at the depressing news always spilling from the reporters' lips. I shake my head, flopping hair into my face at the thought of the disturbing world around me. Deciding it best to just push the thoughts aside, I make my way to my bedroom in order to get myself ready for work. I work as a night watchman at the local historic museum. Though it can be boring at times, it is entertaining as well. I get to learn all about my home's history without too much research, and I don't have to pay for any of it. Really, though, if you think about it, I'm being paid to learn this stuff. It's only natural that you pick up on the things around your workplace. I will, however, admit that more often than not, I find the museum at night to be creepy. I always feel like I'm being watch, but I know it's just my paranoia talking. Of course there isn't anything really watching me as I know that I am the only one in the whole museum at night. I always just brush the feeling off to being because of the creepy looking mannequins placed around at different exhibits with their equally as creepy looking historic costumes.

After I make my way to my room, I throw on my uniform, and pull my hair back into a beanie I find laying on my nightstand. I then make my way to the bathroom to make sure my makeup is still sound from when I woke up this afternoon. When I deem it okay, I head to the 'mud room,' to lace up my work boots, and wrap a large scarf around my neck. Slipping my arms through my large winter coat, I zip it up, pull the hood over my head, and check to make sure I have my phone, keys and wallet before heading out the door. Double checking to make sure my door is locked, I start on my journey to work.

I'll be the first to admit that someone my age really should be driving, but the truth is that, even at twenty-six, I have never had my permit. I really don't plan on getting one either. You see, I walk everywhere I go, and normally I don't mind because it's great exercise. It always gives me extra time to think about whatever may be on my mind, and I am always guaranteed to be early because I give myself plenty of time to arrive at my destination without having to rush. The only real downside I see is when the weather isn't really great for walking in (i.e. Too hot, too cold, rainy, snowy, icy, etc.), but those are the days I usually ride the bus. Well, when the bus is running, and because the bus stops running at nine, I don't usually take the bus to work, ever. Plus, the bus is full of really creepy people that I would just rather not deal with. Especially after the incident.. I would rather just chance walking. Buses just bring back bad memories.

It only takes roughly an hour to get to the museum with the snow falling (it's normally a half hour walk), and it's now quarter 'til eleven. This means I have fifteen minutes to warm up before clocking in to start my shift. In the break room, I shed my snow clothes, and make myself a hot mug of coffee to warm my innards and awaken my mind. Taking a seat at the table, I allow my mind to wander off. I don't really mean to think about.. Him, but it's harder than people realize for me to not think about him. My therapist says I need to let go of the past. I think she needs to get the fuck over herself because unless she's been through what I have, she doesn't know shit. You can't just get over something like that!

“-it okay.” My body jumps slightly, startled by the sudden noise as my mind focuses on the words just spoken. Turning my attention to the owner of the voice, it doesn't take me long to notice the extra person in the room. James being here is no surprise to me as he works the second shift, and we bump into each other between shifts all the time. He's always by himself, but this time.. this time there is someone next to him. That someone, honestly, is creeping me out with the way his eyes won't leave my body, and that sadistic-looking grin does not help his case any. I shiver slightly, turning my attention away from him.

“I'm sorry, what did you say? I was kind of zoning.” James chuckles because this isn't the first time he's tried having a conversation with me only to find out I've been on a whole other planet for near all the conversation. I do have a problem with 'zoning out,' and I am trying to work on it. It's something that only started after I was re-admitted into society, and I need to lose the habit. It isn't normal to shut everything out so often like I do. I live in my head far too much, and it's not helping me get any better.

“I said, 'I'm glad to see you made it okay.' Was worried because of the weather.”

“Ah, thanks. Anything interesting happen today?” I take another sip of my coffee, holding the liquid in my mouth a moment before allowing it to slide down my throat. The warmth pushes the chills I have accumulated out of my system for a moment, and I welcome the normality.

“Not really. This is Keith, by the way. He was training with me to be the new part-timer. Guess he'll be working your shift now and again, too.” James turns his attention to the man next to him as he talks. The man, 'Keith,' nods, smirking at me. It's an understatement to say Keith freaks me out. He reminds me of Him, and I don't want to be near that. He even looks like Him! From his blonde hair to his blue eyes, there really isn't much difference. Their facial structures are near the same, but the biggest, and most significant difference being, Keith is nearly as pallid as I am.

I nod my acknowledgment of him, muttering a quick, “M'Devin,” before getting ready to start my shift. I may not really want to be at work tonight, but I would rather be burning in the sun at the Equator than spend another second in the same room with that man, Keith.
♠ ♠ ♠
i feel like i ramble a lot when i write.. sorry if i do. another new story because i just randomly got this idea one night while i was reading up more on Jack the Ripper. thanks for reading!