Status: Updates every day or every few days (:

Let The Walls Break Down

Chapter Eleven

“Please don’t go.” I said softly. Alex had stopped dead in his tracks when I had first spoken. My voice was rough and husky, but the words were still distinguishable. Alex turned around with a shocked look. “Jack.” I hadn’t planned on talking today, but when Alex was going to leave, I knew I had to do something. He walked back toward me, sitting down again. Alex was literally staring at me, open-mouthed. He then regained his composure and placed a hand on my arm. “I’m not leaving, Jack.”
Alex stayed with me until the doctors kicked him out of the room to examine me one more time. By three o’clock, I was being handed discharge papers. Alex signed them since he was a year older, claiming that he was my brother. When we were finally out of the confines of the hospital, Alex grabbed my arm lightly and pulled me to the side of the building. He pulled me into a tight hug, resting his forehead on my shoulder. “I’m sorry, Jackalope. I’m really sorry. I didn’t want us to be friends because I thought I was hurting you….and maybe I am, but when you spoke, I realized that I don’t WANT to leave, I want to be with you. You’re one of my best friends Jack, and I don’t want to throw that away.” I was quiet for a second before I said “Got a smoke ?” Alex looked at me and chuckled, “I think I’m a bad influence on you.” He handed me a cigarette and offered to light it for me. I blew the smoke out and nodded, “Oh I know you’re a bad influence on me.”

We started walking in the general direction of our houses, me with a slight limp. I tossed my cigarette and said “Hey Alex ? What did you mean by “we’re two different kinds of people” ? “I meant that you and I aren’t the same, you know ? I’m just a party boy, and you’re this clever kid. We’re opposites, really.” I smirked at him “Opposites attract.”

We opted to go to a park near my house and just talk. Actually talk this time. It felt natural to be speaking with Alex, which was weird, but it was a lot less frustrating for both of us. We talked about telling my parents what had happened, and Alex vowed to come with me and tell his part of the story. It was silent for a minute, and I was looking down at my lap, picking at a thread on my jeans when Alex tilted my chin up. I peered up at him, and he leaned forward and pressed his lips to mine. It was short and sweet, but it was enough. He pulled away with a satisfactory smile. “I wish you could see your face right now, because you’re grinning like a fool.” I told him. I slipped my hand in his, wondering how he could like me, a bruised up, awkward kid who had just started speaking.

“So listen, Jack. I uh, I like you. As more than a friend….I hope this doesn’t make things awkward, but I thought I should tell you, you know ?” I squeezed his hand, “I know that, Alex. You just kissed me, and now we’re holding hands. I think both of our feelings are clear.” He laughed, “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

When we got back to my house, my parents were already home. My dad was in the living room and my mom was preparing dinner. I walked into the kitchen, “Hi mom.” She dropped the spatula she was holding, rushing over to crush me in a hug. “Jack !” She pulled away, taking my face in her hands “Wait a minute, what happened to you ?! Oh sweetie are you alright ?” “He got beat up by some random guy earlier, but he’s going to be just fine.” “Sit down, sit down boys, we have a lot to talk about !” She beamed at me and Alex and left the room to go get my father.

My parents were ecstatic that I had started talking, and they were praising Alex over and over. I knew that my mom could tell something was going on between us, but she was fine with it because she loved Alex. Over all it was a really nice dinner, a good ending to a not-so-good day.

Alex stayed after for a little while, and we just played video games up in my room like nothing had ever happened. My mom had wanted to invite Alex’s parents over when we had dinner, but they had been working. I had a weird feeling about that situation, because Alex’s parents were never around. Were they really working, or was something else going on ? I wanted to ask Alex, but I was too afraid.

I felt a hand on my leg, “What are you thinking about Jack ?” Alex asked me curiously. “You,” I blurted out. Dammnit, I would have to get used to the whole actually talking out loud thing. “Oh really ?” Alex said, leaning closer. “And what about me ?” I took a deep breath, “About this.”

I pressed my lips against his once again, and this time we moved in sync with one another. It was a soft, tentative kiss, but it was enough to tell us what we both already knew.

That we weren’t just Jack and Alex, the friends, we were Jack and Alex, boyfriend and….boyfriend.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope it isn't too stupid that he already spoke to Alex when it's only been two weeks since they've met. Same with how they were acting like a couple, do you think it was too much ? Anyway, no updates until Monday because I'm going away for the weekend again ! I don't know if you guys care or not, but Aaron Pauley from Of Mice & Men replied to my tweet last night and I'm super happy. Have a great, amazing, fantastic weekend you guys, I love you ! (: